Options

Replies

• Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    sleepy-cat.gif
    Polite Reminder

Dear Posters,
    Please be sure to keep all replies in good nature, attacking other members is against the community guidelines and just as importantly creates an atmosphere within an awesome community that doesn't need creating.

If you disagree with a discussion or reply, you are always best moving on to one in which you agree with or feel to be able to make a positive contribution to.

If you feel another member is in breach of our community guidelines then please use the 'report' feature found on each discussion topic and each reply so that the moderation team can look and take appropriate action where necessary.

Have an awesome day/evening!

Adam, MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    clnrush wrote: »
    Has there not been a true study on this by now?
    Same calorie intake, one low carb. the other not.
    I find myself curious about this now and may do more research. hummm

there have been studies but some say that low carb is better and others say that high protein is better, OR that there is no difference between moderate diet and low carb diet...

so jury is out..

my suggestion, use whatever tool you feel is necessary to get your in a calorie deficit and meet your long term goals..

just don't say that CICO does not apply to me.

My money is on no nameworthy difference.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Yes, At this point in my weight loss I am just doing cico.... I have found it the easiest way for ME. I do input some things first to see the calories in it before I decide on the meal.
    All the other info is interesting but I am not there yet to "meeting" those goals. ie protein,carbs,fat,fiber,etc....
    thanks for the info. C.R.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Man this gets old. Low carb diets TEND (but not necessarily WILL) to put people in a deficit. Its just a smaller deficit with more satisfaction and less hunger. Its still CICO, not sure why everyone argues about it. OP, seriously, if you truly want ideas and suggestions from people who have done it successfully, use the link and come find the low carb group. You are never going to win this argument. Ever.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Man this gets old. Low carb diets TEND (but not necessarily WILL) to put people in a deficit. Its just a smaller deficit with more satisfaction and less hunger. Its still CICO, not sure why everyone argues about it. OP, seriously, if you truly want ideas and suggestions from people who have done it successfully, use the link and come find the low carb group. You are never going to win this argument. Ever.

Amen.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

The only people arguing are the low carbers saying it is not CICO...

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    J72FIT wrote: »

for realz...
  • ndj1979
    Options

the only one arguing it is not CICO is the OP ...
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

I thought she was saying what low carb is what works for her over straight calorie counting. I know I saw that in several of her posts, I may have missed the one where she said CICO doesn't work. And the low carbers rarely ever argue because most of the veterans are tired of beating their heads against a stone wall and the newbies get chased off. But by all means continue to argue away. I'm just saying it gets really old.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I thought she was saying what low carb is what works for her over straight calorie counting. I know I saw that in several of her posts, I may have missed the one where she said CICO doesn't work. And the low carbers rarely ever argue because most of the veterans are tired of beating their heads against a stone wall and the newbies get chased off. But by all means continue to argue away. I'm just saying it gets really old.

honestly, if she had not said that on page one, I would not even be in this thread...

whatever method we use they are all tools to get us to the same place....I just don't like the "CICO does not work for me but restricting X food does" argument...

hope that makes sense...
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

And the only ones that ever START the argument are the ones who don't eat low carb, and always when the OP has asked for advice from others following the same WOE. OP may not have articulated her point well, I can concede that. It doesn't negate the fact that non-low carbers jumped in to tell her how wrong she is when she specifically asked for low carb advice. I am not a heavy lifter, therefore I don't go into threads asking for advice on heavy lifting and start handing it out. I also don't go in there telling them that heavy lifting is all wrong and they should be doing, I don't know, yoga or something. Its the same concept. If you don't do low carb, why are you in a thread written by someone asking for low carb advice?
  • J72FIT
    Options

I'm not arguing.

• Sugarbeat
    Options

I'm not arguing.

Y'okay. lol

• J72FIT
    Options

And the only ones that ever START the argument are the ones who don't eat low carb, and always when the OP has asked for advice from others following the same WOE. OP may not have articulated her point well, I can concede that. It doesn't negate the fact that non-low carbers jumped in to tell her how wrong she is when she specifically asked for low carb advice. I am not a heavy lifter, therefore I don't go into threads asking for advice on heavy lifting and start handing it out. I also don't go in there telling them that heavy lifting is all wrong and they should be doing, I don't know, yoga or something. Its the same concept. If you don't do low carb, why are you in a thread written by someone asking for low carb advice?

The arguments start when the non low carbers clarify why said low carb diet is working. Low carbers generally do not like to hear low carb works due to CICO...
  • J72FIT
    Options

I'm not arguing.

Y'okay. lol

Where have I argued?
  • Sugarbeat
    Options

honestly, if she had not said that on page one, I would not even be in this thread...

whatever method we use they are all tools to get us to the same place....I just don't like the "CICO does not work for me but restricting X food does" argument...

hope that makes sense...

Seriously??

Her OP "The best way ive found to drop lbs without pills or starving! Anyone else use this method? Interested in ideas, recipes, and success stories!

She specifically said this is the WOE that works for her and she'd like ideas and recipes from those who have had success. Where in that did she ask for a debate about her food choices? Granted, she would have been better off just following the link given early on rather than giving in to said debate but her arguments were in response to non-low carbers telling her she was wrong. THAT is what gets old on these boards.
  • ndj1979
    Options

well, when she blasted out a bunch of pseudoscience I felt compelled to correct the record. Additionally, there are a lot of people that lurk the forums and look for advice, and I don't think that incorrect information should go unchallenged.

I have said this a million times, but if someone want to do low carb/keto, great. Just don't try to convince the rest of us that CICO does not apply and that low carb/keto is somehow better than a regular calorie deficit...

who made you the thread police? It is a public forum and anyone can comment on any topic...so not really sure why you are so worked up about this...

• ndj1979
    Options

hope that makes sense...

Seriously??

Her OP "The best way ive found to drop lbs without pills or starving! Anyone else use this method? Interested in ideas, recipes, and success stories!

She specifically said this is the WOE that works for her and she'd like ideas and recipes from those who have had success. Where in that did she ask for a debate about her food choices? Granted, she would have been better off just following the link given early on rather than giving in to said debate but her arguments were in response to non-low carbers telling her she was wrong. THAT is what gets old on these boards.

oh, so when she went on to say that a 500 calorie deficit is "extreme" that should just go unchallenged? OR when she said that 'calorie restriction does not work for her, when she is in fact calorie restricting" ...

way to cherry pick one statement ...

• Sugarbeat
    Options

The arguments start when the non low carbers clarify why said low carb diet is working. Low carbers generally do not like to hear low carb works due to CICO...

The argument starts because people who don't eat low carb feel the need to give advice to those who do. I don't go into heavy lifting threads and demand someone tell me the exact science and terminology of lifting (please don't, I really don't care) and then argue that they have it all wrong. Why? I don't currently lift, I don't have much experience to speak about, and I haven't studied it. Therefore I leave it to those who do have experience and have studied it to hand out advice. It would be nice if the low carb WOE were given this same respect.