Low carb dieters!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    People are not finding issue with the fact that you've chosen a low carb diet to get to your dietary goals. It's wonderful that you've found something that works out for you. I hope you continue to find more success with you dietary lifestyle change!

The main issue is that you're claiming that your low carb diet does not equate to a restriction of calories, thus being in a caloric deficit. Which is not true. Truly, the only way to lose weight to to burn more calories than you consume, aka a caloric deficit. Low carb is simply one of many ways of achieving this.

I personally find it pretty ignorant of you to claim that you won't be healthy if you don't adopt a "clean eating" lifestyle though. The people who you claim to be attacking you are people who've successfully lost weight without overly restricting themselves, demomizing food or eliminating an entire food group. I find that labeling a certain food as good or bad automatically puts you in the wrong mindset, truthfully.

And this link is for people who think those that comment on the forums are quote "mean people."

Dear Mean People of MFP

I'm not trying to attack you. I'm pretty sure no one who has commented has. Please come with an open mind to the forums, everyone in the long run has been in the same boat of being overweight, and have found success in varied forms of caloric deficits. I hope that your decision of remaining low carb continues to win you success in weightloss and whatever other fitness goals you have.

Cosigned
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation. Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!

Do certified fitness instructors get the same training as a registered dietitian? I'm just curious, since I have about 20 years of doctors, RDs, and physical therapists who have no problem with it. I know plenty of other people who have been doing low carb or very low carb for a decade or more, and their brains, muscles, and circulation are just fine. Some of them even lift. Many of them had it prescribed for them. I don't understand why millions of diabetics, epileptics, people with PCOS, and other medical conditions don't seem to suffer from any of the problems people claim will happen if someone uses low carb, yet somehow all those things are supposed to happen to anyone who doesn't have a doctor's prescription and eats the same way?
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation. Skinny does not mean healthy!!!!

Please name one required nutrient (i.e., cannot be synthesized by the human body) that is unobtainable from foods of animal origin.

I'll save you the trouble -- there are none.
  • jennibean40
    jennibean40 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Im quoting myself here bc some of you have seemed to miss it. I KNOW MY CALORIES ARE IN A DEFICIT ON MY LOW CARB DIET!!!! WHAT YOU ARENT GRASPING IS I FOLLOWED A LOW CALORIE DIET WITHOUT RESTRICTING CARBS FOR MANY MONTHS AND ACHIEVED MINIMAL RESULTS. All i ever stated was that low carb has helped ME lose weight FASTER!
    Let me rephrase.. i dont keep track of calories. Any diet will restrict calories to some degree. If you go low carb.. you automatically cut out calorie high foods. So yes your calorie count goes down. But say i consume 1200 calories a day that include high carbs... my weight loss slows (practically stops) as compared to a 1200 calorie diet that is low in carbs and i lose .5-.6 lbs a day. The only difference is the carb count. Therefore the restriction of carbs is what helps the weight come off.

• ndj1979
    Options
    Im quoting myself here bc some of you have seemed to miss it. I KNOW MY CALORIES ARE IN A DEFICIT ON MY LOW CARB DIET!!!! WHAT YOU ARENT GRASPING IS I FOLLOWED A LOW CALORIE DIET WITHOUT RESTRICTING CARBS FOR MANY MONTHS AND ACHIEVED MINIMAL RESULTS. All i ever stated was that low carb has helped ME lose weight FASTER!
    Let me rephrase.. i dont keep track of calories. Any diet will restrict calories to some degree. If you go low carb.. you automatically cut out calorie high foods. So yes your calorie count goes down. But say i consume 1200 calories a day that include high carbs... my weight loss slows (practically stops) as compared to a 1200 calorie diet that is low in carbs and i lose .5-.6 lbs a day. The only difference is the carb count. Therefore the restriction of carbs is what helps the weight come off.

No it didn't help you lose weight faster...

You would have lost the same amount of weight on a regular diet that did not restrict carbs...

Also, thst is not what you said on page 1 but I'm glad you are coming around...

Congrats on finding s way to create a calorie deficit that works for you.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    Your right. On page one i was referring to the fact i dont regulate my diet based on calories. I regulate it based on carbohydrates
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm requoting this bc you clearly said that you don't lose on 1200 regular carb but you do lose on 1200 low carb..if 1200 regular carb is a calorie deficit then you lose because cico
  • jennibean40
    Options
    I cant even with you right now. Im sorry you are unhappy i disagree with you. Its simply this...
    I DID do a low calorie diet only on and off for many years. With very little weight loss.
    I did low carb (which incidently kept me at the same low level of calories) and lost up to 7lbs a week.
    So you are telling me, in all the years i tried low calorie before, when i just so happen to start low carb... the calorie defecit is the only contributing factor?
    Why then.. when i was simply on a reg carb low cal, did i not lose 7lbs in a week?
    Please explain, oh enlightened one, keeper of all truths to the universe.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My naturapath has placed me on a low carb, high protein diet and honestly, I feel a huge difference. I have cut out all bread, pasta and grains. My carbs now come from fruit and vegetables (and yes, the occassional chocolate).

I get a complete body scan done at the clinic with some machine that weighs body fat, muscle mass, bone density etc. and my weigh in results today for this week are:

800g weight loss
    -1.7% body fat loss
    -0.5% Visceral Fat Loss
    +0.8kg muscle mass increase
    +0.1kg bone mass increase

So for me, a lower carb diet deffinately works.

Aside from these results, I noticable feel better. My head is clearer. I don't feel lethargic at anytime during the day. I sleep better.

I lost 1 inch around my waist in the first week. And yes I know it is not fat. I was not bloated. If I have a piece of bread now I notice bloating.

I do track my food. I am on a 1200 cal/day, incorporating 100 grams protein/day.

I would like some quick high protein snack ideas. It is hard trying to get to 100 grams/day. Unfortunatly, most protein foods need cooking. Any ideas
  • jennibean40
    Options
    @Marianne802‌ i use canned tuna often to hit my protein goals. Also boiling eggs, or grilling chicken ahead enough for several days
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    My naturapath has placed me on a low carb, high protein diet and honestly, I feel a huge difference. I have cut out all bread, pasta and grains. My carbs now come from fruit and vegetables (and yes, the occassional chocolate).

I get a complete body scan done at the clinic with some machine that weighs body fat, muscle mass, bone density etc. and my weigh in results today for this week are:

800g weight loss
    -1.7% body fat loss
    -0.5% Visceral Fat Loss

Aside from these results, I noticable feel better. My head is clearer. I don't feel lethargic at anytime during the day. I sleep better.

I lost 1 inch around my waist in the first week. And yes I know it is not fat. I was not bloated. If I have a piece of bread now I notice bloating.

I do track my food. I am on a 1200 cal/day, incorporating 100 grams protein/day.

I would like some quick high protein snack ideas. It is hard trying to get to 100 grams/day. Unfortunatly, most protein foods need cooking. Any ideas

String cheese, beef jerky or sticks (watch the ingredients, different flavors have different carbs), babybel.

Is there a reason your protein is so high? Usually protein is .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, depending on how active you are. Low carb is typically paired with higher fat to complete macros, rather than protein.
  • lcooper327
    lcooper327 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    You seem to thing that a low fat diet is the same thing as a calorie restricted diet. The two are not the same. Showing studies that low carb beats low fat is irrelevant to your argument. I hope that you choose to eat more than 1000-1200 calories per day as "0.5-0.6 lbs per day" is not a safe rate for weight loss. Even if that means low carb, you should still eat more.
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

800g weight loss
    -1.7% body fat loss
    -0.5% Visceral Fat Loss

String cheese, beef jerky or sticks (watch the ingredients, different flavors have different carbs), babybel.

Is there a reason your protein is so high? Usually protein is .8-1g per lb of lean body mass, depending on how active you are. Low carb is typically paired with higher fat to complete macros, rather than protein.

I'm just following my Naturapath's advice, mostly anyway. She actually has me at 111 grams protein a day. I think the idea is to sustain me longer and reduce muscle loss. It seems to be working so I will stick to it for now.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Acg67 wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    2. keto/low carb is "superior" for fat loss/weight loss. No, it is not.

except when it is, like in http://press.endocrine.org/doi/full/10.1210/jc.2007-0692 (offered above to demonstrate the opposite) where the lower carb weight loss was greater "weight loss was correspondingly greater (6.3 ± 2.2 vs. 4.4 ± 2.6 kg in 4 wk, P < 0.01)" aka 1 lb/week greater. Both diets were restricted carbohydrate compared to baseline. More restricted was better for weight loss.

But not fat loss

" However, loss of fat mass was similar on the HF-LC and MF-MC diets in both studies."

Weird how that was left out

"Similar" yet greater loss of fat mass on HF-LC. The small sample size & short duration probably prevented statistical significance.

1.3 kg more fat loss on average on the ad-lib HFLC and 0.9 kg more on the controlled intake HFLC - I'd take that in 4 weeks given the choice. 420 and 290 cals/day equivalent.

Weird how the numbers were missed out.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I am certified Fitness instructor and want to say that although you can go low carb and cut out fruit, but you are also losing important vitamins and nutrients your body needs to feed the brain and muscles and assist in proper circulation.

Broccoli.
  • jennibean40
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Im still not seeing what isnt coming across for you when i say..
    A) i tried a restricted calorie diet -with healthy veggie lean meat whole grain choices- and lost barely anything.
    B) i restricted carbs and UPPED my calories and lost 20lbs...

Pretty self explanatory. I never said weight loss COULDNT be achieved on low calorie alone. Simply that low carb has been more effective for me. Not to mention all the health benefits from a lower carb diet.
    Your entitled to diet how you want but regardless of your opinion on the matter low carb is a legitimate form of weight loss. By all means keep posting articles and research but the wind blows both ways. Plenty of drs and institutes back each side.
    But the best way to find out is by doing it yourself. I invite any who dont think it will work to give it a try yourself, instead of standing behind someone elses words.

Interesting how you claim you increased the amount of calories you are eating but you yourself stated you don't track calories to begin with.

Ummmm yeah.. this app kinda does it automatically sooooooo..
  • jennibean40
    Options
    Otherwise i would never know.. lol
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    The best way ive found to drop lbs without pills or starving! Anyone else use this method? Interested in ideas, recipes, and success stories!

It is a perfectly legit way... best way? Best for who? As always, that depends...
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    No weight doesnt magically disappear obviously. Dont be arrogant. I have tried restricted calorie diets... and at most lost 2-3 lbs. Different diets work better for different people.. this one has worked for me

You're on a restrictive diet now. Ketogenic and low calorie... buckle up cause you're gonna hit a wall pretty soon...