What kind of salad dressing is good??

Options
2»

Replies

• NoSFan
    NoSFan Posts: 11
    Options
    I like Marie's yogurt based salad dressings.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I generally use regular Hidden Valley Ranch dressing or a balsalmic vinaigrette. The vinaigrette is less calories and I think is easier to use less to cover more salad since it doesn't stick.
    I don't buy the reduced fat or fat free stuff.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There is not a lot of love around here for Walden Farms calorie free dressings, but a couple of the flavors are actually pretty good. I like the raspberry vinaigrette, honey dijon, and blue cheese. I also like Newman's Own lite dressings or just a splash of balsamic or wine vinegar and a little olive oil if I have the calories to play with.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm surprised at all the recommendations for Bolthouse Farms dressings. I tried a couple varieties of that, and it was just so bad. One of the times I nearly had to throw my salad away, but I choked it down because I hate wasting food. Anyway, I just eat regular dressing. I have one serving of regular Hidden Valley Ranch or half a serving depending on how many calories I have left. I've also found a good tasting feta dressing at Trader Joes, and they have a good balsamic vinegar dressing there as well...I think it's Tuscan Italian Balsamic Vinegar. Actually, I haven't found a dressing at Trader Joe's that I don't like...yet, and the ones I've had are decent on calories. Alternatively, I will put some salsa with a dollop of sour cream or greek yogurt. I get Newman's Own salsa, and I love it. Twenty calories for 32g (2T), and much less sodium than some other brands.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i like the kraft raspberry vinegrette. and kraft poppyseed (which is pretty low cal). i get the aldis fat free ranch and its not bad.
  • curvyniki
    curvyniki Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I like the Ken's Light options, or I make my own using a light sour cream base instead of mayo, cream or milk.. working up to making my own balsamic based dressings..
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I like Newmans Own light balsamic dressing.

I use a big bowl and pour my dressing in first, then add my greens only and toss around in the dressing to coat well. I don't need dressing on my salad toppings, just the greens. I find that I use half or a quarter of the amount this way.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I make my own. A dollop of Fage yogurt, a good bit of pear infused white balsamic vinegar, a bit of olive oil, salt, and some herbs from my garden, usually a tiny bit of thyme. Emulsify with a stick blender. It's fantastic on tomatoes.

Don't be afraid of adding fat into your diet, just be careful with how much.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    OPA Greek yogurt bleu cheese..NOM NOM

Oh man that sounds good. I freaking LOVE bleu cheese dressings. I refuse to give them up. You can keep your oily vinegar based dressings (yuck).
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Another huge fan of Bolthouse farms here! Caesar Parm and Bleu Cheese Vinaigrette are my favs
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms Honey Mustard is my favorite! I'm not even usually a honey mustard person, but yummm!!!!
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I love Kraft Catalina fat free it's 50 calories per 2 tbsp
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    OPA Greek yogurt bleu cheese..NOM NOM

Must find this...
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Store bought: Marie's Yogurt Ranch is really good and 70 cals for 2 tbsp.

If you like Italian...there is a GREAT recipe from a blog called penniless parenting

I regularly omit the oil to make it fat free and very low calories (I like vinegar alot, but if its too much, you can replace the oil with water and it works just fine). I use ACV usually, but I have used other vinegars in the past and its still great! You can also mix the herbs into light sourcream (thin with a tiny bit of milk) for a creamy dressing. I omit the sweetener too.

This is great on regular salad and pasta salads too! I always bring pasta salad with to pot luck type events and always use this dressing.....I always get rave reviews and asked for the recipe.

C&P from the blog linked above.....

Zesty Italian Dressing Recipe

Ingredients
    1 cup of the vinegar (any type is fine, whether ACV, wine vinegar, rice vinegar, etc...)
    1 1/3 cup of olive oil or other oil (I usually do half olive oil, half cheaper oil)
    2 tablespoons of water
    1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
    1/2 tablespoon onion powder
    1/2 tablespoon honey, white sugar, or sucanat
    1 tablespoons dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried basil
    1/2 tablespoon dried parsley
    1 tablespoons salt

Instructions
    1. Pour ingredients into a glass jar or bottle with a cover. You may need to use a funnel, in which case pour the dry things in first before the liquids.
    2. Cover and shake well.
    3. Use, or refrigerate for months and months.
    4. Enjoy!

In case you like pasta salad...here is my go -to recipe

1# box of rotini (I like tri color, but any noodle is fine)
    1 head of broccoli
    1 red pepper
    1 orange pepper
    1 can sliced black olives
    1/4# feta
    1 zesty italian recipe (above)

Just chop the veggies into bite sized pieces, cook the pasta al-dente, and break up the feta into crumbles. Mix everything together and let it sit for a few hours in the fridge. When I am watching calories more closely, I make it with half the pasta, double the veggies, and make the dressing oil free.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make my own. A dollop of Fage yogurt, a good bit of pear infused white balsamic vinegar, a bit of olive oil, salt, and some herbs from my garden, usually a tiny bit of thyme. Emulsify with a stick blender. It's fantastic on tomatoes.

Don't be afraid of adding fat into your diet, just be careful with how much.

Where, pray tell, do you get pear infused white balsamic?! That sounds FANTASTIC.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use salsa. Low calorie, adds extra vitamins too!