Anybody use canned chicken?

Options
Marcillene
Marcillene Posts: 484 Member
Anybody use canned chicken for anything? Meal ideas? Snacks?

Replies

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't think I've ever had canned chicken before in my life. Posting to see what ideas there would be so I can try it. 8D
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I have used it in a pinch before - I don't use it often because I find it to be pretty high in sodium.

I like to mix it up with some taco type spices - cumin, chili powder, garlic etc. and will use it in taco salad, throw it in a shell with some cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce etc.

You can easily mix it with some BBQ sauce, or Frank's red hot, and serve it as a dip, or on buns/bread.

For what it's worth - the canned chicken that I have bought is mostly shredded white meat.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've only ever used it to make chicken salad.
    Add in a little light miracle whip and/or ceasar dressing, spread it in a wrap, add pepperjack and lettuce and lunch is served!

You probably could use it in just about any recipe that calls for cooked chicken, just make sure you have enough to equal the weight called for.
  • smichelle65
    smichelle65 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I keep some as a last resort; I use it mainly to make chicken salad or to add protein to a green salad. I also use it as quesadilla filling.
  • leroyizzy
    leroyizzy Posts: 55
    Options
    I also make a chicken salad with it but I like to half some grapes and add a little mayo, slivered almonds are a nice addition too! Great sweet and savory sandwich!
  • tarnyacarrier
    tarnyacarrier Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't like canned anything because of sodium. I like to buy the already cooked rotisserie chickens and shred it up to add to recipes and salads. It's quick and easy and healthier :) Just my little tip!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    Its delicious with mayo or miracle whip! The cats like it too...
  • Marcillene
    Options
    I have used it in a pinch before - I don't use it often because I find it to be pretty high in sodium.

I like to mix it up with some taco type spices - cumin, chili powder, garlic etc. and will use it in taco salad, throw it in a shell with some cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce etc.

You can easily mix it with some BBQ sauce, or Frank's red hot, and serve it as a dip, or on buns/bread.

For what it's worth - the canned chicken that I have bought is mostly shredded white meat.

thats what i use is the shredded white meat.... hmm i have NEVER thought of adding sauce to it... do you use taco seasoning or just the spices when you use it like that?
  • Marcillene
    Options
    Ya, the only way i think i have ever eaten it is making chicken salad sandwhiches with mayo.... i know i have a friend that adds it to her mac 'n' cheese.....?!?!?
  • TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Occasionally in soups. That's about it. I prefer fresh chicken though.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    We use it when we're backpacking and we can't bring fresh food. We usually mix it into pasta or rice, with some kind of sauce and seasoning. It tastes good when you're starving after hiking for 8 hours (and better than tuna at any rate!). It's also a good source of protein that doesn't need refrigeration.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I don't like canned anything because of sodium. I like to buy the already cooked rotisserie chickens and shred it up to add to recipes and salads. It's quick and easy and healthier :) Just my little tip!

the already cooked rotisserie chickens have a lot of sodium in them, too.

I've used the canned to make chicken salad.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options

thats what i use is the shredded white meat.... hmm i have NEVER thought of adding sauce to it... do you use taco seasoning or just the spices when you use it like that?

Sometimes I use some premixed taco seasoning. I don't buy it as often now as I like to mix my own herbs, but it would work just fine.
  • Marcillene
    Options

Sometimes I use some premixed taco seasoning. I don't buy it as often now as I like to mix my own herbs, but it would work just fine.

Do you add Salsa or anything as well?
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I like to add avocado and some sort of no salt seasoning. Mmm, easy chicken salad! Add onion/whatever you feel like. Put it on bread, crackers, wraps, romaine leaves.. I keep it around for the no refrigeration/no cooking requirements. My lunches usually consist of leftovers, and when there are none, here ya go :) Also, I agree with UpEarly, it tastes better than tuna!
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    I use it for pasta sometimes as well as for wraps.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    Bill is slacking

WHYYY??

sweet-sue-canned-whole-chicken.jpg
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My picky 9 yr old loves it with a little mayo and black pepper. He eats with saltines.
  • jennwren77
    jennwren77 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bill is slacking

WHYYY??

sweet-sue-canned-whole-chicken.jpg

No offense, but that looks gross. I thought we were talking about canned chicken like canned tuna
  • LMP18
    LMP18 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I use it to make a simplified Jack Straw hot dish. VERY EASY and yummy and my kid loves it

Can of chicken
    Can of chicken a la king
    can of corn - drained
    shoe string potatoes - about a cup or so (these are the chips - not really potatoes)

Heat everything minus the shoe string potatoes in a pan until hot. Once hot, add the shoe string potatoes in - YUM YUM. Probably not very healthy but you asked what we used them for...ENjoy!