Running shirtless...?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida, so men run shirtless pretty much all year, almost all of them. I don't think twice about it.

The ONLY time I did think about it was the guy who not only was running shirtless, but was wearing flesh-colored bicycle shorts, so from behind he looked completely naked. But we just laughed at him. We weren't mortified.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Are you bear-chested, like super hairy, and now everyone can see that? Or bare-chested, like a nice, smooth physique? If it's the latter, run without a shirt. If its the former, get some waxing/lasering/shaving done, then run without a shirt.

I used to shave in my 20's when I was rollerblading heavily... based on comments from my wife if I were to start that again we would have a "discussion". I'm choosing the path of least resistance on this one. :wink:

And no, I'm not super-hairy. People don't mistake me for sasquatch running in Saucony's.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Men never wear shirts to run where I live. Except this one guy who wears a button-down linen shirt over his banana hammock. I'd rather he go shirtless and wear shorts, personally.

I run in a bikini top and shorts.

There's a guy I've seen at one of the parks here a couple times who run -- RUNS! -- in a button-down shirt, jeans and a belt.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Oh, nobody cares how you look. I've been considering just running in my sports bra lately, as I have definitely been guilty of hiking my tank up over my belly. It's HOT out there!
    If I were less self-conscious about my jiggle, I would totally do that.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I run in short shorts and a sports bra when it is really hot.

I see nothing wrong with you running topless (hairy or not)
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I fail to see why any man would care what anyone else thinks about him going shirtless. Granted, I'm in Florida and run on the beach, but if it's hot then the shirt is off. If you don't like it then don't look.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    What's the ettiquette/rule of thumb for this?

I've been running without a shirt the last week or so since it's getting a lot hotter outside. My wife, however, is mortified that I'm out sweating it up bare-chested. (edit: not bear-chested, not THAT hairy :tongue: )

I see other runners in the area mixed between no-shirts and light tech clothing, so I'm genuinely puzzled about what's socially acceptable.

I haven't put on a shirt to run for nearly a month. What's the point? I honestly hope that seeing me shirtless for 10 seconds while you drive by isn't the worst part of your day but if it is then your life must be good.

For me it's the humidity and warm temps. Tech clothing and engineering will never cool you off as well as the genetically engineered cooling your body does naturally.

As for the people that are shocked. SHOCKED! to see chest hair on a man.

30wphfo.jpg.gif
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    I fail to see why any man would care what anyone else thinks about him going shirtless. Granted, I'm in Florida and run on the beach, but if it's hot then the shirt is off. If you don't like it then don't look.

Yup
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I take it OP does his own laundry...my wife asked me if I COULD run shirtless...
  • aelunyu
    aelunyu Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Running pantless is where I draw the line. You're good.
  • alancheng
    alancheng Posts: 12
    Options
    iluvit, I do twice a week. Helps put a tan on - the stomach always tans the least for some reason. Easier to clean up without a shirt to trap perspiration, no struggle getting out of a wet shirt afterwards. 6 paper towels usually suffice to wipe down the whole upper body.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Meh. I live near the beach in Southern Cali. Sports bras for thr ladies and skin for the men is a norm here. I don't care either way.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I would but it would hurt my boobs...and probably blacken my eyes.
  • Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    For me it's the humidity and warm temps. Tech clothing and engineering will never cool you off as well as the genetically engineered cooling your body does naturally.

I've been interested in this. I got some cotton workout shirts as gifts at the beginning of the year. They were OK in the spring, but are just getting drenched and heavy when I run and are frankly too hot for comfort in 90° temps.

The chafed nipples thing frankly doesn't sound good...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

I've been interested in this. I got some cotton workout shirts as gifts at the beginning of the year. They were OK in the spring, but are just getting drenched and heavy when I run and are frankly too hot for comfort in 90° temps.

I can't emphasize this enough, but do not run in cotton anything, especially in hot weather. There are too many very good synthetic alternatives that breathe better and dry faster
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

I did that once on a 15 mile run. It wasn't bleeding but boy did the sweat make it sting. You won't feel it when you're running because your endorphins are cranked and your body is worried about more than your nipples but once you stop. Woo wee! Man that stings!.

If you're going to wear a shirt for more than a 6 mile run you might want to get some body glide for the nips. True story.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    I ran shirtless once.....then my face asked me to stop...as it didn't like being the referee in the ongoing brawl between breast A and breast B.....

I asked the guys if it was ok....i never did get a response...

their eyes were glassy.....jaws were on the floor.....

must have been some sort of bug.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    Men never wear shirts to run where I live. Except this one guy who wears a button-down linen shirt over his banana hammock. I'd rather he go shirtless and wear shorts, personally.

I run in a bikini top and shorts.

There's a guy I've seen at one of the parks here a couple times who run -- RUNS! -- in a button-down shirt, jeans and a belt.

Is he Amish?
  • S1NN3R
    S1NN3R Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I ran shirtless once.....then my face asked me to stop...as it didn't like being the referee in the ongoing brawl between breast A and breast B.....

I asked the guys if it was ok....i never did get a response...

their eyes were glassy.....jaws were on the floor.....

must have been some sort of bug.

It's way too painful for me too! LOL
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    What's the ettiquette/rule of thumb for this?

I've been running without a shirt the last week or so since it's getting a lot hotter outside. My wife, however, is mortified that I'm out sweating it up bare-chested. (edit: not bear-chested, not THAT hairy :tongue: )

I see other runners in the area mixed between no-shirts and light tech clothing, so I'm genuinely puzzled about what's socially acceptable.

Shirt on, no excuse.

However, pants off is fine.

I let the boys swing free when I run.