Running shirtless...?

Options

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I run with a tech shirt just so I can stroll into a store to buy something if I need to. Stores typically have "no shirt, no shoes, no service" rule around here. Besides, I'm a tropical guy so heat doesn't bother me as much.
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    For me it's the humidity and warm temps. Tech clothing and engineering will never cool you off as well as the genetically engineered cooling your body does naturally.

I've been interested in this. I got some cotton workout shirts as gifts at the beginning of the year. They were OK in the spring, but are just getting drenched and heavy when I run and are frankly too hot for comfort in 90° temps.

The chafed nipples thing frankly doesn't sound good...

agree with other poster DON"T WEAR COTTON! there are some good syntheics out there (but even with those, shirtless is better, because you can get a nice draft on your skin which can help cool you down, of course most of my normal run is in the shade....)
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    What's the ettiquette/rule of thumb for this?

Seriously? If it is hot, or you want to get a tan while you run, or love the sun...run shirtless. It is personal preference.

I run shirtless all the time in the summer.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Men never wear shirts to run where I live. Except this one guy who wears a button-down linen shirt over his banana hammock. I'd rather he go shirtless and wear shorts, personally.

I run in a bikini top and shorts.

There's a guy I've seen at one of the parks here a couple times who run -- RUNS! -- in a button-down shirt, jeans and a belt.

Is he Amish?
    Nope. He looks like a regular kinda guy, no beard or anything.

And this is humid, hot Florida.
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    If you're single, I don't mind you showing off your shirtless body. If you're married, please don't.
  • shanniepk
    shanniepk Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I live in Florida. Shirtless is completely acceptable, and I have to admit I kind of appreciate it sometimes :smile: , although I always wear a shirt when running.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    If you're single, I don't mind you showing off your shirtless body. If you're married, please don't.

This = Derp.
  • Melissa11412
    Melissa11412 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I find the newer moisture management fabrics (name brand, not the cheap ones you get at a 5k) are more comfortable than running shirtless, and you dont need to worry about sun screen.

this^ I notice that I actually feel cooler wearing a light colored loose fitting tech shirt. I run at a pretty popular park here in Houston (Memorial Park) so I see all kinds, including some that would probably be better served by wearing a shirt.....any shirt. :noway:

To each his own though, I just take in all the sights and keep it moving LOL
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

In to see how much snake handling goes on at your church. . . :laugh:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    For men; yes, run shirtless. For women; no. Unfair, but that's the way it is.
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Go shirtless if you want. Don't go shirtless if you don't want to. I tend to prefer the first when I run.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    No big deal, whatever you prefer.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I've been running without a shirt the last week or so since it's getting a lot hotter outside. My wife, however, is mortified that I'm out sweating it up bear-chested.

Are you bear-chested, like super hairy, and now everyone can see that? Or bare-chested, like a nice, smooth physique? If it's the latter, run without a shirt. If its the former, get some waxing/lasering/shaving done, then run without a shirt.
    zeus save us from the hair nazis!
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Shirtless!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

tumblr_m9t473sri21qa54c6o1_400.gif
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options

Why is it unfair? Go run topless and ruin your breasts. Personally, I'm happy with what I've got and love having them. If that means wearing a sports bra to run, oh geez.. Life is just awful.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

Why is it unfair? Go run topless and ruin your breasts. Personally, I'm happy with what I've got and love having them. If that means wearing a sports bra to run, oh geez.. Life is just awful.

It's unfair to us guys 'cause we can't enjoy the view
  • briggsy13
    briggsy13 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    When I finally lose what's left of my stomach I will totally run in a sports bra. There have been days I've been totally tempted to do it even with my flabby self. I say if you are hot, go for it!!!
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    When I finally lose what's left of my stomach I will totally run in a sports bra. There have been days I've been totally tempted to do it even with my flabby self. I say if you are hot, go for it!!!
    yup, i wouldn't make people look at my work-in-progress physique.

if seeing you topless doesn't blind people, or make them gag, go for it ;-p
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

Huh? :huh: