Running outside

Options
2»

Replies

• kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Once you start running outside, you'll never want to run on the dreadmill again.

A helpful tool on what to wear:
    runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

This is pretty awesome, thanks!!
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If your phone has decent GPS then I find runkeeper to be a handy app. It's estimated calories burned are pretty accurate to my HRM, you can set verbal cues that tell you when you hit specific distances or times, you should be able to set up routines in it if you want to do a HITT type run, but I have never used it.

P.S. its also FREE!
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    jhall260 wrote: »
    2) Ditch the music, it sucks at first but after a while I find it so much more enjoyable.
    Disagree, music is awesome.

I actually AGREE with this. I have found being left with my thoughts is amazing. I pray, get inspiration for work projects, contemplate my next race, plus I am aware of the sounds and environment around me... with is a safer way to run! :)

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    2) Ditch the music, it sucks at first but after a while I find it so much more enjoyable.

I actually AGREE with this. I have found being left with my thoughts is amazing. I pray, get inspiration for work projects, contemplate my next race, plus I am aware of the sounds and environment around me... with is a safer way to run! :)
    I actually run with music but without headphones. The speaker on my phone is pretty decent. It allows me to hear what's going on around me and for my mind to wander when it will but I still have some background music.
  • sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I actually run with music but without headphones. The speaker on my phone is pretty decent. It allows me to hear what's going on around me and for my mind to wander when it will but I still have some background music.

As long as you don't do that in a race. I hate it when people run with music and without headphones during a race. I don't want to listen to your music!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    map my run try to keep a steady pace. Find a good playlist or station on Pandora. I enjoy outside much much better than the treadmill. Good Luck
  • SueInAz
    Options
    sjp_511 wrote: »

As long as you don't do that in a race. I hate it when people run with music and without headphones during a race. I don't want to listen to your music!
    Never during a race! I don't use music at all then. :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I listen to music during a race, but I can outrun the complainers :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a "none music" runner. I prefer to be media free and I find it's safer.

Secondly- I agree with slow down- be mindful of your body and your gate. I know I run differently on the treadmill than outside.

I'd also say- push past the first 5 -10 min- there is always a period of time (and it's length varies per person) where you think to yourself self- I can't possibly do this- this feels impossibly heavy and way to difficult today- but push past- even if it's super slow- don't stop and walk- because usually you'll settle into a stride and be okay.

Just slow down and breath- and talk yourself into meeting mini goals- the light- the gas station- etc etc- usually very helpful for me.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

I used to run with music.....until I ran in a race that prohibited headphones/music - it mentally threw me for a loop, because I would pick music with specific BPMs to pace off. After that, I took two months to phase out training with music, and have been running completely sans tunes ever since (including my half marathon training/race). Yes, it IS possible to run for 2.5 hours without music. I actually find that I enjoy running MUCH more without the music, as I can get really in tune with my body and with nature (my favorite is running after a beautiful fresh snowfall). :) Also, running without music means no electronics to worry about getting wet if I am running in the rain. :)
  • SueInAz
    edited March 2015
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »

I used to run with music.....until I ran in a race that prohibited headphones/music - it mentally threw me for a loop, because I would pick music with specific BPMs to pace off. After that, I took two months to phase out training with music, and have been running completely sans tunes ever since (including my half marathon training/race). Yes, it IS possible to run for 2.5 hours without music. I actually find that I enjoy running MUCH more without the music, as I can get really in tune with my body and with nature (my favorite is running after a beautiful fresh snowfall). :) Also, running without music means no electronics to worry about getting wet if I am running in the rain. :)

All very valid points but my situation is much different. I use Zombies, Run! to "spice" up my runs. It has a story to keep me interested and plays my music between story pieces. I focus on the story, usually tune out during the music.

I run in my neighborhood, past the same houses over and over which is not stimulating for 10 miles unless I'm being chased by a dog or coyote or javelina. I live in the desert and there are no good running paths close to where I live so it's my neighborhood or a long drive to run by myself on a public path. The roads outside my neighborhood don't have sidewalks or a bike path and the speed limit is 45 and 55 MPH. I can't run through the desert without risking stirring up snakes or getting an arm or leg full of cactus thorns. Driving 10 miles to run isn't going to happen often and it isn't necessarily safe (a woman running alone in the morning was raped on the closest path to my house last month).

It rarely rains here, and if it does it's never all day long, so running in the rain isn't a problem. I'll keep my Zombies app and music. :)
  • suzannexxx
    suzannexxx Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Join a running group they are great for support and helping with pace also look for your local parkrun 5 km timed weekly run as this would show you how you are progressing and meet many more local runners
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Depends. Music can help when it's urban pounding the pavement to get the miles in. It completely detracts from a good trail run or night offroad.