Running outside

Options
kecmw25
kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
My treadmill took a c**p and with the weather about to turn nice, I'm thinking about taking my runs outside. Does anyone have any tips or advice? Good apps to try? TIA

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Make sure you've got decent running shoes
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Running outside is soooo much better than running a treadmill. Of course, if you haven't been running with the treadmill set to an incline you're going to find it much more difficult at first. You have to propel yourself rather than just keep up with a backward-moving belt. You also can't set a speed and just go so be sure you don't take off so quickly that you burn yourself out early in the run.
  • CatHunterFit
    CatHunterFit Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It's higher impact on your joints as you don't have a quishy treadmill so make sure you have good shoes as the above poster says.

I like the Nike+ running app, or if you are after something a bit different check out Zombies, Run :o
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    If you're not used to running outside, start off slow. Slower than you think you should be going. It can be really deceiving.
  • Tikibar72
    Tikibar72 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie runner, and running outside is so much more fun that the treadmill. More to look at, more to experience, sunshine and all the other good stuff. Good pair of running shoes is crucial. Go get 'em!
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I prefer outside. In addition to the above advice (shoes and speed being critical) I would suggest finding either a track to start off with (local high school perhaps) or some asphalt paved trails/roads to run on. Those are a bit softer than concrete. I run on concrete a lot with no problem, but all of these are firmer than the surface of a treadmill so it might be nice to ramp up surface hardness a bit at a time.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Outside running is way easier on my joints than the treadmill! The outdoors is far more engaging too. I can run through snow, on the grass.

Dress in layers. A windbreaker is key. Let someone know when you are out so if you don't show up in a couple days they know to come looking.

My favourite apps include Endomondo and IntervalTimer to keep me in the groove. Walk a few minutes to warm up. Run five, walk one to start.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I hate the dreadmill. To me running outside is so much better. I just feel so much better when I can run outside. I use a garmin on my runs instead of the app but they are expensive and unless you find that you are going to run a lot I would not suggest getting one.

A friend of mine uses Map My Run and loves it. It is a free app.

• beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Using a treadmill isn't running, it is doing hamster impersonations! :D

I prefer going to the park and running trails. The ups, downs, and twists and turns makes for a better workout than road running.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I am a huge baby and avoid running during the -483294C winter months. That being said, it's starting to warm up now and I am braving it now since there's no ice on the paths.

BUT as said: layers are key! Also, shoes are super important - if you don't already have a decent pair or have been fitted for one.
    And if you're doing trail runs, be prepared to be slower due to changing inclines.

I always prefer running outside, I feel I run way stronger and faster! So good luck.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hate the treadmill. Running outside is so much better.

My suggestion would be not to run for time, run for distance. So don't plan a 20 minute run or a 40 minute jog where you go out and back. Plan (and map out ahead of time) a 4 mile or 7.5 mile loop that starts and ends at your home instead.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    I absolutely hate the treadmill. Running outside is so much better.

My suggestion would be not to run for time, run for distance. So don't plan a 20 minute run or a 40 minute jog where you go out and back. Plan (and map out ahead of time) a 4 mile or 7.5 mile loop that starts and ends at your home instead.

Yeah, you can't just push the stop button when you're tired. If you ran 8 miles away from your house, you have to run 8 miles to get back. A nice loop is a good idea for sure. Personally I like something that's around a mile. It's not so big that you can't stop at a certain point but not so small that you feel like you're running in circles.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Wrap up and watch your step.Also be very aware of traffic.and oh yes Enjoy
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Find some trails and hit them! Start slow and build to a solid base. Whatever that is for you. Here are some of my tips, of course some of them are just preferences!

1) Good running shoes are a must.
    2) Ditch the music, it sucks at first but after a while I find it so much more enjoyable.
    3) A good GPS watch is all you need to track runs.
    4) Don't worry about your speed at first.
    5) If you really want to improve running sign up for a 5k, or a 10k and find a adequate training plan for you. It always helped me to have a race on the books.
    6) log your miles and keep track of them. I have logged every run for 3+ years. It's great to see improvements. You can also see times you were in slumps and that they do pass.
    7) Most of all ENJOY yourself. Running should be fun and relaxing! For me there is nothing better then a 2+ hour run. It's alone time that I get, almost a form of meditation.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jhall260 wrote: »
    2) Ditch the music, it sucks at first but after a while I find it so much more enjoyable.
    Disagree, music is awesome.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Dress for the weather and go slower than you would on a treadmill. You don't have the ground propelling you like the treadmill belt does.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) I usually do my runs before work so I am kind of time constricted. Maybe I'll take a route that I know I can walk in 30 minutes and start there. I hope the weather gets warmer soon. I miss running and don't want to lose the progress I had made.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be running in the dark, bring a headlamp or flashlight and make sure you have bright/reflective clothing on. I use RunKeeper on my phone to track my runs and I really like it. Good luck :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice everyone :) I usually do my runs before work so I am kind of time constricted. Maybe I'll take a route that I know I can walk in 30 minutes and start there. I hope the weather gets warmer soon. I miss running and don't want to lose the progress I had made.

That sounds like a great plan. If it really sucks the first time just know it'll get better pretty quickly. :)

I run in the mornings before work in the summer because I can't run when it's 110°F without dying and the temps are almost always triple digits between May and October. (In the winter I run after work because it's usually in the 60s or 70s.) There are no street lights, so I get up just before it gets light, run my 3.1 miles, go home, shower, get dressed and head off to work. There are no long races here in the summer because of the weather so I'm mostly maintaining a running base and burning some extra calories.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Once you start running outside, you'll never want to run on the dreadmill again.

A helpful tool on what to wear:
    runnersworld.com/what-to-wear