Low carb diet? Good or bad idea?

Options
I've read conflicting information on this and would like opinions. I definitely am not looking for more problems than I have currently, but a lot of articles promise great weight loss. I'm not having much luck with my weight loss at the moment. I lost some by cutting out soda (which was extremely hard!), but before that, I hadn't lost an ounce In over a month. I'm not much over my goal weight to begin with( I gained some from a couple of surgeries last year), about 7-10 lbs would put me in my 'happy weight'. I've kept anywhere from a 500-750 calorie deficit. No luck. So now I'm looking at low carb. I honestly don't think I could do it forever. I love carbs. But could I do it for a while to drop the weight and then slowly re-introduce carbs and keep the weight off? I think I know the answer to all of this, but as a newbie to even needing to lose weight, I'm really hoping there's a magical answer and I won't be stuck at this size forever. I've always been athletic, great metabolism, able to eat anything I wanted. And now it's just piling on and I can't stand it (and yes, I understand 10 lbs isn't a ton of weight, but to me, it is. I've naturally lost some from coming off of meds after surgery, but bc of this condition, I'm unable to exercise much at all from here on out. After surgery I weighed more than I did while pregnant both times, so to me, this is just a complete game changer weight for me).

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The only thing needed for weight loss is to eat fewer calories that you burn, nothing else matters.

Having said that, many people find that reducing carbs helps with satiety and they don't feel as hungry eating more protein and fat. Others need to reduce carbs for health reasons (like diabetics). Play around with your macros and see if you can find that "sweet spot" where you feel good, are satisfied, and are losing weight. reducing carbs does not have to mean going keto. The recommended range is 45 to 65 % of your total calories, which gives you a lot of room to play with and figure out what works. Personally, I am eating 35% because I am a T2 diabetic and I need to keep my carbs below 180 g daily, per my doctor's recommendations.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If you haven't dropped the weight at all in a calorie deficit, then something isn't right. Are you sure you're in a 500-750 calorie deficit?

A low carb diet is one way to a calorie deficit. The issue is you would need to drop maybe 15 pounds because once you introduce back carbs you will gain some water weight back. As long as you eat at maintenance you can eat carbs again and maintain part of that weight loss. Its not magic.
  • orlandodenise
    orlandodenise Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Although Ive lost a lot of weight - the easiest BY FAR has been since the beginning of the year when I virtually cut out carbs. I dont feel anywhere near as hungry, rarely get cravings and have lost 34 pounds in just over two months. Ive also got the energy to go to the gym 6 days a week. Im never going back to eating carbs again ( I also stopped drinking a lot of wine per week as well ! )
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I would take a good HARD, honest look at how many calories you actually do need in order to be in a deficit. In particular, your activity level must be 100% honest.

I tried LCing many times. After the initial water whoosh, I always found that no matter the science (and yes, I did read all the books...GCBC and so on), I had to be in a calorie deficit in order to lose weight. However, on my low-carb forums, there were many people who ate more than I did at similar stats but did lose weight on LC. So sure, you can try it. But I would recommend a specifically LC board if you're looking for support.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Can you stick to low carb for life? If so go for it

I tried 2 or 3 times, lost a lot, put it back just as quick and more

I like carbs ...I've now lost 50lbs sustainably eating about 50-60% of my diet in carbs...works better for me

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

Click the launchpad link at the top for an overview

This will give you more info: http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/wiki/faq

I've been on it 15 years, there's nothing harmful about it. What matters is you do it correctly, use the calculator, stick to your macros - protein is required, carbs are an upper limit, fat is until you feel full instead of a mandatory goal. Some people still have to count meticulously, while some find the satiety from the fat keeps them under on calories automatically, so they don't have to pay attention.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    If you haven't dropped the weight at all in a calorie deficit, then something isn't right. Are you sure you're in a 500-750 calorie deficit?

A low carb diet is one way to a calorie deficit. The issue is you would need to drop maybe 15 pounds because once you introduce back carbs you will gain some water weight back. As long as you eat at maintenance you can eat carbs again and maintain part of that weight loss. Its not magic.

This.

Low carb makes it easier for some people to maintain a calorie deficit. But it's the calorie deficit that causes you to lose.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    When Atkins is done properly, Induction for 2 weeks the climbing the carb ladder (10 rungs) no food is off limits forever.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    There is hard science behind low carb high fat. Aside from it being what doctors recommend for T2 or border line T2, there is the fact that carbs tell your body to store fat.
    My heart health number, LDL, HDL, total cholesterol and triglycerides are at their best when I am doing LCHF. As soon as I up the carbs a bit LDL goes up, Triglycerides go up and A1C goes up. And I'm not T2. I was getting close to being 'border line' at one point. But never crossed the line.
    Funny thing is all that "carb loading" that distance runners do before a marathon is probably just fat loading since most competitive distance runner have very little body fat. Taking in a lot of carbs puts on fat stores for the run.
    For those of us with 'fat stores' carb loading is of no benefit.
    I have even experimented when I do a 10km swim. I find no difference whether I have my usually eggs, sausage, cheese and peppers vs home made carb loaded waffles before the swim. And I don't do any fueling during the swim. Still got some 'fuel' to lose. :)
    The food pyramid is all wrong but the establishment spent billions pushing it. How else can they convince consumers to by subsidized grain?
  • lakenruth
    lakenruth Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    As far as the calorie deficit of 500-750 cals/day, I believe that's right. I go by two different things- my Fitbit calorie expenditure, which is always higher than my recommended calorie intake per day. I've sat a goal on both MFP and the Fitbit app to where I want to be. Both say I'm on track. And I'm very honest with my calorie intake. I scan everything with a barcode, I measure every portion on digital scales, include all condiments, etc. I'm a little bit obsessive on making sure I log it all bc I want to make sure that I'm not 'cheating' in my mind and that I'm honestly on track. I've dropped all soda, which was extremely hard. Only drink plain water. Occasionally coffee but that's logged too. I try to do a bit of exercise, but I'm mostly sedentary. I just can't do much. So I'm very realistic about this since I know if I do anything that gets my heart rate up over a certain rate gets me down for days afterward. So knowing that exercise is pretty non-existent, I've taken to counting calories. Friends have dropped lots. I haven't dropped crapped. And there's definitely not muscle replacing the fat through this, so there's no reason that I'm not. I've consulted my dr (he and I are in touch weekly after surgery), and he says there's not a reason I'm not losing. I've had extensive testing, thyroid is fine, everything comes back great. I can't figure it out. And it's frustrating. I mean, I realize the last few pounds are the hardest, but with a calorie deficit like that, why the heck isn't it going anywhere?!? I just thought maybe low carb would help kickstart it. But I can't do it forever. I'm a country gal that loves my potatoes, cornbread, etc. I can't just stop. I know that about myself. No use lying. So if it's just going to pile back on as soon as I start eating carbs again, there's really no point I wouldn't think. So now I'm out of ideas lol.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

What she said.

I was stalled recently and it was recommended to MILDLY cut my carbs. You could try a small reduction, maybe 5-10% while keeping your calories the same if you're sure of your logging. Replace them with fat and protein.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It isn't for everyone, but low carb works wonders for me.

I was a former carb addict. My skin was terrible. I ate so much bread that I should have had shares in the company that baked it. I was always falling asleep at 9am and 3pm. I was always hungry.

I feel a million times better now. No more falling asleep during the day. I'm well satisfied on fats and proteins. Weight is falling of me. I went from 115kg to 98.3kg in a little less than 9 weeks. My skin is smooth and clear. I'm down 14.5% of my body weight!

I was in a pre diabetic state with my blood sugar levels a HAIR under the threshold for type 2 diabetes. I had a glucose tolerance test this week and my levels are now smack bang on normal.

My period arrived after 5 weeks from the last one, rather than the 8 or more weeks it usually does.

The best thing is the knawing hunger and desire to binge is all gone!

I also used to have badly formed frequent stools and now they are normal. I was verging on daily diarrhea previously.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

unless they live in a metabolic chamber they won't know for sure.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    There is hard science behind low carb high fat. Aside from it being what doctors recommend for T2 or border line T2, there is the fact that carbs tell your body to store fat.
    My heart health number, LDL, HDL, total cholesterol and triglycerides are at their best when I am doing LCHF. As soon as I up the carbs a bit LDL goes up, Triglycerides go up and A1C goes up. And I'm not T2. I was getting close to being 'border line' at one point. But never crossed the line.
    Funny thing is all that "carb loading" that distance runners do before a marathon is probably just fat loading since most competitive distance runner have very little body fat. Taking in a lot of carbs puts on fat stores for the run.
    I have even experimented when I do a 10km swim. I find no difference whether I have my usually eggs, sausage, cheese and peppers vs home made carb loaded waffles before the swim. And I don't do any fueling during the swim. Still got some 'fuel' to lose. :)
    The food pyramid is all wrong but the establishment spent billions pushing it. How else can they convince consumers to by subsidized grain?

I'm sorry, there is nothing particularly good or bad about low carb diets. It is merely a preference.

Carbs do not tell your body to store fat. Fat is stored by a variety of metabolic pathways, some of which deal with carbs, some protein, and some fats. Excess fat tissue, outside an inconsequential amount of short term DNL, is entirely a function of quantity, not quality.

Enjoy your diet but don't justify it with broscience.

Have I told you lately that I love you?

Have I told you there's no one above.....dee dee dee

*strolls off humming*
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Low carb works on the same principle that any other diet works on...cutting calories. Low carb works because generally speaking, when one cuts carbs they are also cutting out a lot of calorie dense foods...and thus cutting calories.
    fishgutzy wrote: »

Actually, carbs are difficult to store as fat...they burn off quickly. Also, when you carb load you are simply loading up your glycogen stores...this is basically your immediately available energy stores...it isn't fat.

Good Lord...
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    That's really going to boil down to your individual needs and preferences.

But I think an important question to ask would be:

Why is my current method not working?

That's not to say you should or should not do low carb -- but I'd look at your current methods and current DATA and I would try to make some conclusions from it.

It might lead you to a reasonable solution.