Can't consume 1200 calories

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    profilce wrote: »
    I'm 18 yrs old now, when I made this I was 17. I really don't starve myself. I know that by starving myself I can get anorexia and other food disorders

Eating under 1200 calories is starving your body of fuel it needs to operate properly. And not all ED's are just starving yourself. An eating disorder means you have a skewed or unhealthy relationship with food. Which you are showing red flags of on this thread. Please seek help and talk to someone about it.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    My height is 168cm
    My weight is 66kg
    Activity level - active
    And my age is 18

Why does your profile say 24 then? :huh:
  • esjones12 wrote: »
    I'm 18 yrs old now, when I made this I was 17. I really don't starve myself. I know that by starving myself I can get anorexia and other food disorders

Eating under 1200 calories is starving your body of fuel it needs to operate properly. And not all ED's are just starving yourself. An eating disorder means you have a skewed or unhealthy relationship with food. Which you are showing red flags of on this thread. Please seek help and talk to someone about it.

That's a pretty big assumption.

If the OP thinks that processed and fast food (mcdonalds, BK, pizzahut) is bad - she's right.

If the OP thinks that it's better to make better food choices (veggies, lean meats, fruits) - she's right.

I don't see any red flags, just someone needing a bit of good advice starting out. Maybe a few meal suggestions to get her to a more appropriate calorie range.

• randomtai
    madslacker wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »

If the OP thinks that processed and fast food (mcdonalds, BK, pizzahut) is bad - she's right.

If the OP thinks that it's better to make better food choices (veggies, lean meats, fruits) - she's right.

I don't see any red flags, just someone needing a bit of good advice starting out. Maybe a few meal suggestions to get her to a more appropriate calorie range.

You're wrong.
  • randomtai

This is sad. Get some help OP.
  • randomtai wrote: »

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You don't think it's concerning that someone was eating 1,200 calories and then began restricting more because she felt like she was eating too much?
  • randomtai
    randomtai wrote: »

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

Food is food. Nothing inherently wrong with any food. Some more nutritionally dense than others, but there is no bad food. Unless it's spoiled.
  • madslacker
    madslacker Posts: 39
    edited March 2015

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

Food is food. Nothing inherently wrong with any food. Some more nutritionally dense than others, but there is no bad food. Unless it's spoiled.

That's just silly.

There are indeed food choices that you can make that are detrimental to your health in a wide variety of ways. Preservatives, over processing, etc. I'm sure you're not unaware of this and just trying to make a point - but I have no idea why.

You don't think it's concerning that someone was eating 1,200 calories and then began restricting more because she felt like she was eating too much?

I think that if you cut the junk from your diet it can be surprising how much you can eat and still be at a pretty fair deficit. You can eat a whole lot of broccoli and grilled chicken breast and be significantly under 1200 calories. Sounds like she needs education, not a diagnosis from the internet :)
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

There are indeed food choices that you can make that are detrimental to your health in a wide variety of ways. Preservatives, over processing, etc. I'm sure you're not unaware of this and just trying to make a point - but I have no idea why.

Peer reviewed science disagrees with your fearmongering posts. I'm sure you're aware of that yet still chose to post as you have.
  • randomtai

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

And where do you get this information from? :huh:
  • madslacker
    madslacker Posts: 39
    edited March 2015
    duplicate.

• randomtai

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

I think that if you cut the junk from your diet it can be surprising how much you can eat and still be at a pretty fair deficit. You can eat a whole lot of broccoli and grilled chicken breast and be significantly under 1200 calories. Sounds like she needs education, not a diagnosis from the internet :)

Trololololol ok.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

I am not sure what your definition of "junk" is, but as someone who eats mostly vegetables and beans with a goal of 1,200 I understand how it can be done. However, if you are under 1,200 because you feel you are eating too much otherwise and you fear certain foods (as OP has clearly stated), there is potentially something else going on. There is a difference between choosing certain foods and being backed into a corner due to fear of wide groups of food.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    2-3 month ago I did get to 1200 net, I ate everything like pizza, chips, cookies, bread and stuff but then i stopped and started eating less because I started to feel that I eat too much food. But I really don't feel hungry or anything like that and I drink green tea a lot. I've never felt hungry even tho I don't get to 1200 calories per day. And I don't feel tired and stuff.

Green tea is a stimulant and appetite suppressant, right?. If you're really worried about not eating enough, why would you continue taking an appetite suppressant? It just doesn't 'fit' that you're concerned about not being hungry while taking active steps to not be hungry...I'm confused...

• madslacker wrote: »

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

Peer reviewed science disagrees with your fearmongering posts. I'm sure you're aware of that yet still chose to post as you have.

I'm going to doubt that there are peer reviewed studies refuting the health risks of eating processed/preserved junk foods.

I get thinking outside of the box and challenging trends - but come on :neutral_face:
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    An eating disorder means you have a skewed or unhealthy relationship with food. Which you are showing red flags of on this thread. Please seek help and talk to someone about it.

I think this is a really important point to make. There are certainly people in the world who appear healthy, in a healthy weight range, eat at least some food and have an eating disorder. I know I struggle with a disordered relationship to food and I've never been severely underweight or overweight but have fluctuated up and down in the middle, generally appearing average to slightly more than average.

OP, I think it's somewhat common for people to go from one extreme (overweight, eating all "junk") to the other end of the spectrum (only eating "good" foods, very restrictive). In my opinion, the goal is to find that balance in the middle where you can enjoy food, eat to fuel your body, and be at a healthy weight. Given what you've said here, I would encourage you to talk to somebody: a school counselor, a nutritionist, a real counselor, whomever you feel comfortable with. As an 18 year old, now is a really great time to learn how to have a healthy relationship with food. Unfortunately, some of us have to learn that as adults but that's okay! And it's okay to need some assistance doing it. I wish I had started when I was your age and saved myself years of unnecessary ups and downs :) I'm just now getting the hang of it as a near 30 year old!

And I second everything everyone else said about nuts, nut butters, cheeses, oils, etc. but it sounds like that might not be the true root of the problem and that's okay :)

Best of luck to you, OP!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

I'm going to doubt that there are peer reviewed studies refuting the health risks of eating processed/preserved junk foods.

I get thinking outside of the box and challenging trends - but come on :neutral_face:

If you cared so much, you wouldn't be eating them. Actions speak and yours counter your drivel.

Good day.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015

There are NO assumptions in there. I have talked with many dietitians and doctors who say you should NOT net under 1200 calories. And you need to look up eating disorders on Google if you don't think some of the things she said are alarming. Such as:
    2-3 month ago I did get to 1200 net, I ate everything like pizza, chips, cookies, bread and stuff but then i stopped and started eating less because I started to feel that I eat too much food. But I really don't feel hungry or anything like that and I drink green tea a lot. I've never felt hungry even tho I don't get to 1200 calories per day. And I don't feel tired and stuff.

If you would have read my previous posts I told her it was possible to reach 1200+ calories on healthy food and gave her suggestions. She even friended me to look at my diary. I also encouraged her to reach out to a nurse at school, a doctor, a counselor or a dietitian to learn proper nutrition and views on food.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2015

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

Please tell me how preservatives are inherently detrimental to your health. Also processing.

If I had to choose between preservatives or botulism, I would choose the former. All day every day.