madslacker wrote: »
    randomtai wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »
    profilce wrote: »
    I'm 18 yrs old now, when I made this I was 17. I really don't starve myself. I know that by starving myself I can get anorexia and other food disorders

Eating under 1200 calories is starving your body of fuel it needs to operate properly. And not all ED's are just starving yourself. An eating disorder means you have a skewed or unhealthy relationship with food. Which you are showing red flags of on this thread. Please seek help and talk to someone about it.

That's a pretty big assumption.

If the OP thinks that processed and fast food (mcdonalds, BK, pizzahut) is bad - she's right.

If the OP thinks that it's better to make better food choices (veggies, lean meats, fruits) - she's right.

I don't see any red flags, just someone needing a bit of good advice starting out. Maybe a few meal suggestions to get her to a more appropriate calorie range.

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

Food is food. Nothing inherently wrong with any food. Some more nutritionally dense than others, but there is no bad food. Unless it's spoiled.

That's just silly.

There are indeed food choices that you can make that are detrimental to your health in a wide variety of ways. Preservatives, over processing, etc. I'm sure you're not unaware of this and just trying to make a point - but I have no idea why.

Peer reviewed science disagrees with your fearmongering posts. I'm sure you're aware of that yet still chose to post as you have.

I'm going to doubt that there are peer reviewed studies refuting the health risks of eating processed/preserved junk foods.

I get thinking outside of the box and challenging trends - but come on :neutral_face:

Now I've always said there are no bad foods, but took a quick peek at your diary and well
    margarine and cheap miller lite beer mixed in there... I might be mistaken
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I'm 18 yrs old now, when I made this I was 17. I really don't starve myself. I know that by starving myself I can get anorexia and other food disorders

Eating under 1200 calories is starving your body of fuel it needs to operate properly. And not all ED's are just starving yourself. An eating disorder means you have a skewed or unhealthy relationship with food. Which you are showing red flags of on this thread. Please seek help and talk to someone about it.

If the OP thinks that processed and fast food (mcdonalds, BK, pizzahut) is bad - she's right.

If the OP thinks that it's better to make better food choices (veggies, lean meats, fruits) - she's right.

I don't see any red flags, just someone needing a bit of good advice starting out. Maybe a few meal suggestions to get her to a more appropriate calorie range.

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

Food is food. Nothing inherently wrong with any food. Some more nutritionally dense than others, but there is no bad food. Unless it's spoiled.

That's just silly.

There are indeed food choices that you can make that are detrimental to your health in a wide variety of ways. Preservatives, over processing, etc. I'm sure you're not unaware of this and just trying to make a point - but I have no idea why.

Peer reviewed science disagrees with your fearmongering posts. I'm sure you're aware of that yet still chose to post as you have.

I'm going to doubt that there are peer reviewed studies refuting the health risks of eating processed/preserved junk foods.

I get thinking outside of the box and challenging trends - but come on :neutral_face:

You should really spend more time on these boards before you throw around misinformation like that. You are wrong.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

If you cared so much, you wouldn't be eating them. Actions speak and yours counter your drivel.

Good day.

Boom! How clean is that Subway sandwich in your diary? :huh:
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

this article, at least, disagrees with your fearmongering:

"Traditional fast food meals are indeed energy dense. In terms of kilojoule intake alone, a traditional fast food meal can be incorporated reasonably into a daily intake without necessarily promoting obesity. Health professionals should educate consumers of the simple 'healthy' choices they can make when eating fast food."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24351729
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

You don't think it's concerning that someone was eating 1,200 calories and then began restricting more because she felt like she was eating too much?

I think that if you cut the junk from your diet it can be surprising how much you can eat and still be at a pretty fair deficit. You can eat a whole lot of broccoli and grilled chicken breast and be significantly under 1200 calories. Sounds like she needs education, not a diagnosis from the internet :)

So, just so I understand this, you don't see anything wrong with a highly active 18 yr old female with a TDEE of 2500 calories aiming for 1200 cals?

Also, there is nothing wrong with enjoying "junk" as a PART of your diet. No one here is advocating eating a diet that is entirely made up of candy, ice cream, etc, but are saying you don't need to cut it completely out if you're meeting your nutritional and caloric goals.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    My height is 168cm
    My weight is 66kg
    Activity level - active
    And my age is 18

My age is 46, my weight is 66kg, my height is 167.5cm and I am active...I'm MUCH older than you and I'm eating 2100 calories to lose weight (was eating 1925 earlier due to injury). As an 18 yr old you should be eating a LOT more than me to lose weight. Don't do what many young girls do and demonise food, ending up with disordered eating issues and making a mess of their metabolisms at a time when it should be easier to eat more. Take it from an oldie who did it and regretted it later on.

Go on the Scooby calculator, figure out your fitness level (including just every day activities and not just exercise) and then take a MAX of 15% deficit (I'm at a 10% since I'm already at a healthy weight). So much better for your body and your life. You can eat anything you want as long as it fits in your calorie level - try to reach your protein goals. And think about weight lifting - it's the one thing I wish girls did when I was your age as it was mainly just lunk head men.
  • madslacker
    Options
    I stand corrected.

There are no advantages to selecting fresh foods over a Big Mac. Preservatives and pesticides are my friends.

I'm off to drown myself in miller lite and Parkay.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I stand corrected.

There are no advantages to selecting fresh foods over a Big Mac. Preservatives and pesticides are my friends.

no said that, ever.

also, all that organic fruit and vegetables i'm guessing you eat is absolutely covered in pesticides.

and i thought it was Subway and Sierra Nevada?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected.

tiniest_violin.gif
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected.

2958492.gif
  • madslacker
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »
    I stand corrected.

no said that, ever.

also, all that organic fruit and vegetables i'm guessing you eat is absolutely covered in pesticides.

and i thought it was Subway and Sierra Nevada?

That too.

• madslacker
    Options
    I'll let you guys get back to supplying the diagnosis the OP is clearly in need of.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Here's how to get to 1200+: Eat 4 slices of Papa Johns pizza. Can be spaced throughout the day. You may need to see someone because if you think 1200 is a lot, you have a skewed perspective of food and possibly your body.
  • madslacker
    madslacker Posts: 39
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I stand corrected.

2958492.gif

Experts.jpg
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense foods can be your best friends when you're trying to boost your calories. This is a generic list and it's definitely not comprehensive, but anything here can be included in a balanced diet (as long as there are no allergies, medical conditions, obviously):
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    ice cream
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    honey
    molasses

This.

And you need to be logging your exercise and eating back at least some of your exercise calories.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You're wrong.

Am I? How so?

That's just silly.

McDonald's (for example) has oatmeal, salads, apples and the such. how do these differ from the ones you buy for yourself at the store?

Hint: It doesn't.

This isn't a studying refuting health risks, but still an interesting one:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/research-review/hormonal-responses-to-a-fast-food-meal-compared-with-nutritionally-comparable-meals-of-different-composition-research-review.html
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    I stand corrected.

Ah ... reductio ad absurdum ... the final bastion of those who cannot discuss a topic using logic. This time nicely coupled with the "I'm off" tactic.
  • profilce
    profilce Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I eat like yoghurt with 0% of fats and stuff like that. And I eat a lots of vegetables and fruits. I don't drink coca cola only 100% orange juice but not always. I prefer tea and water. I never felt hungry or any symptom that has to do anything with eating disorder or anything like that.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    KylaDenay wrote: »
    I just do not understand when people say they have a hard time eating 1200 calories. I have a hard time eating that cause it is too low for me.

You need to have a better relationship with food.

Esp since none of us got here by eating less than 1200 calories
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I eat like yoghurt with 0% of fats and stuff like that. And I eat a lots of vegetables and fruits. I don't drink coca cola only 100% orange juice but not always. I prefer tea and water. I never felt hungry or any symptom that has to do anything with eating disorder or anything like that.

I don't think you are really understanding what some people go through with different disorders or disordered eating.

There are a lot of red flags in the things you've posted. At the least, maybe talk to a registered dietitian (not nutritionist) and consult with a physician. If there turns out that there are problems, maybe they'll be able to point you to a counselor or therapist.

Here is a link to some free resources just in case.

http://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1575987-eating-disorder-resources