How much water does everyone drink a day?

Options
i did some research online and I found a website that said for my weight and the fact that I'm breastfeeding my son that I should be drinking 113 ounces a day. I fill a jug of water with at least that much and drink it everyday. I don't mind drinking all of it but I pee like crazy now. How much water is everyone else drinking

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Just check your pee colour hydration.png
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    As little as 3 or 4 8-oz glasses ... or as much as 2 or 3 gallons. Mostly dependent on how hot it is (we don't do air conditioning) and how many miles on the training schedule. If there's a 20-miler scheduled on a hot July day, I'll easily do two gallons immediately before, during (I use a 100 oz CamelBak), and after the run.

Drink when you're thirsty.

There is no need to force feed an arbitrary number of ounces down your throat when you're not thirsty. It's useless and silly.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, I don't know...however much I'm thirsty for. I've never really believed in stuffing in X ounces of water whether I felt like I needed it or not. I drink when I'm thirsty, don't drink when I'm not and so far I haven't fainted and don't have parched lips or crepey skin. ;) All seems well.

And yes, for people who can't gauge their need for water very well, the above chart is helpful. If your pee is very dark, you should probably be drinking more. :)

Or maybe I'm just too casual about this? Either way, my "style" isn't interrupting my weight loss, 26 lbs. as of this morning, started around Thanksgiving; a slightly faster rate of loss than expected (settings at 0.5 lb./week).
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I drink 3/4 of a gallon
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I drink when I'm thirsty. Where I live it's dry (humidity under 20% and much of the year under 10%) so I need more water than most. I always have a glass of water or Diet Coke at my elbow but I don't specifically track what I'm drinking. I just go by the above color chart.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    It depends...I primarily just try to stay hydrated. I don't actually track my water consumption, but I drink quite a bit of water. During the summer I can easily drink a couple gallons.

It really just depends though on what I"m doing, how hot it is, etc.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I drink to my thirst - which is a lot, typically around 1.5 gallons a day (and yes, I've been checked for diabetes, I don't have it I'm just a thirsty gal).
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Phrick wrote: »
    I drink to my thirst - which is a lot, typically around 1.5 gallons a day (and yes, I've been checked for diabetes, I don't have it I'm just a thirsty gal).

My middle son drinks all the time and was also tested for diabetes. :) Negative. He is definitely the thirstiest member of our family. But he's quite healthy.

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    In the morning, I fill a jug with 84 oz. and I try to get it all in by mid-afternoon. I try not to have any water with or after dinner. Otherwise, I wake up three or four times during the night.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Water? Who knows. Fluid? As much as I am thirsty for/by urine color. I consider my iced tea, coffee and diet soda as part of my fluid intake.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I just have a 32 oz glass on my desk and I try to fill it up at least 3 time a day at work- if I don't make this- its ok, if I do make it- its ok. I do notice I gain when I don't drink the 3 though- but this is just me and IMO.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,323 Member
    Options
    64 oz
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Water? Who knows. Fluid? As much as I am thirsty for/by urine color. I consider my iced tea, coffee and diet soda as part of my fluid intake.

This. As long as my urine's a good color I don't give it a thought.

• sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I have a 32oz Nalgene water bottle at my desk. I fill it at least 3 times a day, so that the minimum I'm drinking 96oz. Then I drink water at home too, I don't keep track of that but I'm guessing it's at least another 16oz. I drink lots of water...and pee lots during the day. I'm quite certain that I'm the one who uses the bathroom most at work.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I can drink an awful lot. I keep a 12 ounce glass by the sink and chug a glass down whenever I'm thirsty. Some days I drink as much as 20 glasses, though that's not the norm. Usually 10-12 glasses.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of water plus I tend to feel dry so I drink a fair bit. I usually chug two 16 oz. glasses in the morning before exercise, drink a liter during exercise, 2-3 32 oz. glasses at work, and then another 16 oz. glass or two in the evenings. So that's 160-190 oz. or so.

My daughter is like a camel. I feel like I rarely see her drink anything but she's never had any issues so nbd to me.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I have a 32oz Nalgene water bottle at my desk. I fill it at least 3 times a day, so that the minimum I'm drinking 96oz. Then I drink water at home too, I don't keep track of that but I'm guessing it's at least another 16oz. I drink lots of water...and pee lots during the day. I'm quite certain that I'm the one who uses the bathroom most at work.

^^^ same here! I go quite often
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    It usually averages about 90 oz.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Not enough. Maybe 2-3 8oz cups? Then a couple diet cokes too
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Phrick wrote: »

My middle son drinks all the time and was also tested for diabetes. :) Negative. He is definitely the thirstiest member of our family. But he's quite healthy.

here too LOL i drink all day, always have a drink and no blood sugar problems (grandma was a nurse so when i was a kid shed run me in to test for EVERYTHING lololol)

i still drink all day. i have a big cup that holds 30ish ounces. i fill it up about 2-3 times a day. sometimes i may drink more or less, but for the most part i only drink water so its not much of an issue.