5x5 ... but not so often? or ... other options?

Options
2»

Replies

• sjp_511
    sjp_511 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I lift 2x per week and run 3x per week as follows:

M: lift
    T: run
    W: rest
    Th: lift
    F: run
    Weekend: long run

For my long run, I choose Saturday versus Sunday based on weather and other commitments.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can totally do it on 2 days instead of 3. My mum did 2 days of starting strength (which is 3x5) - I think 3 days is better but 2 is much better than none :)
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I sometimes only have 2 days that the gym is available for lifting. Instead of doing workouts A and B, I do all of the exercises 2x/wk. I find recovery to be better when putting 2 days between, so say M/Th or Tu/F. Then run on the other days. I also like to do deadlifts 3x5 with a lighter weight. It helps me focus on correct form.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I sometimes only have 2 days that the gym is available for lifting. Instead of doing workouts A and B, I do all of the exercises 2x/wk. I find recovery to be better when putting 2 days between, so say M/Th or Tu/F. Then run on the other days. I also like to do deadlifts 3x5 with a lighter weight. It helps me focus on correct form.

Yes, this is ideally what I'd like to do, too. BTW, I (accidentally) did 3x5 deadlifts yesterday, and then I read last night that I'm only supposed to do 1x5 of those. I'm not loading up the bar, and I like the repetition right now for the same reason you give - working on form. On the other hand, on the SL page, their reason for only one set is that otherwise "deadlifts will tear your body up...." That doesn't sound like a good thing.
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    4leighbee wrote: »

Yes, this is ideally what I'd like to do, too. BTW, I (accidentally) did 3x5 deadlifts yesterday, and then I read last night that I'm only supposed to do 1x5 of those. I'm not loading up the bar, and I like the repetition right now for the same reason you give - working on form. On the other hand, on the SL page, their reason for only one set is that otherwise "deadlifts will tear your body up...." That doesn't sound like a good thing.

If you're only training twice, which is fine, then I don't see any problem in increasing the volume of your deadlifts because you have an extra day of recovery now.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Sam_I_Am77 wrote: »
    4leighbee wrote: »

If you're only training twice, which is fine, then I don't see any problem in increasing the volume of your deadlifts because you have an extra day of recovery now.

great!