Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I think diet soda would be ok if it were like a once a day thing... but dont drink obscene quantities of the stuff as if it's as innocuous as water. Having no calories and no carbs doens't make it water.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I think diet soda would be ok if it were like a once a day thing... but dont drink obscene quantities of the stuff as if it's as innocuous as water. Having no calories and no carbs doens't make it water.

You're right, it's only about 90% water.

MartinSigh2.gif
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Oh the chemicalz!

Having lived through college, I can safely say that Diet Soda was not even close to the worst thing I put in my mouth.

Next you're going to tell me to give up beer. Or tequila. Or wine. Shenanigans.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Bad for you? Oh, probably. Most have Aspartame, which has quite a bad reputation.

Nothing wrong with aspartame: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

It has a bad rap for no real reason.

Enjoy :smile:

*Edit to add that it can be a migraine trigger for some (just like many things), so if that's the case with you, then avoid it. Or if you have PKU.

Aspartame is scary - it's the main reason why virtually all fitness industry protein powders use sucralose, which is now developing a reputation for being scary as well.

http://aspartame.mercola.com/

Last people I want to listen to are government bodies in bed with Corporate America. They have been wrong before, they will be wrong again (in fact, they are wrong on this topic).

Better off just using refined sugar than using some artificial sweetener derivative developed from the same people who developed Agent Orange.

No thanks.
    All fitness industry protein powders are packaged by a handful of manufacturers which is the likely reason that sucralose is the main sweetener in them now. If you have better "facts" post them.

Being a paleo person, you're stance is more biased than scientifically factual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Bad for you? Oh, probably. Most have Aspartame, which has quite a bad reputation.

Nothing wrong with aspartame: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1308408/why-aspartame-isnt-scary/p1

It has a bad rap for no real reason.

Enjoy :smile:

*Edit to add that it can be a migraine trigger for some (just like many things), so if that's the case with you, then avoid it. Or if you have PKU.

Aspartame is scary - it's the main reason why virtually all fitness industry protein powders use sucralose, which is now developing a reputation for being scary as well.

http://aspartame.mercola.com/

Last people I want to listen to are government bodies in bed with Corporate America. They have been wrong before, they will be wrong again (in fact, they are wrong on this topic).

Better off just using refined sugar than using some artificial sweetener derivative developed from the same people who developed Agent Orange.

No thanks.
    All fitness industry protein powders are packaged by a handful of manufacturers which is the likely reason that sucralose is the main sweetener in them now. If you have better "facts" post them.

Being a paleo person, you're stance is more biased than scientifically factual.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I wonder how paleolithic man made their protein powder?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

It will not prevent weight loss, as the calories are negligible. If you enjoy it and it helps you meet your goals, definitely keep drinking it.

Just be sure and care for your teeth!

If you have to take care of one of the hardest parts of your body (teeth), I can't even imagine what it's doing to your soft organs inside your body?

Well any acidic food is going to have an effect on your teeth. When it hits the even stronger acid in your stomach, the soda is going to change completely.

Also if people would take the time to learn some basic chemistry, maybe they wouldn't scare themselves about dangers that don't exist.

Ok, so what does diet soda become when mixed with stomach acid?

Not trying to start a debate, but this is an angle I don't think has ever been covered. I'm not a scientist so I would like to know.
    Stomach acid breaks it down to simplest form. The main ingredients would be phenylalaine and aspartic acid...............both amino acids. Also found in whole foods like meat and citrus fruits.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• HardcoreP0rk
    Options

MartinSigh2.gif

lol... well, there are plenty of things that are 90% water that I wont be drinking any time soon. Like windex.
  • Lyric_Momma
    Lyric_Momma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like soda because of how bloated it makes me. I have been told diet soda is worse. If I do give in and have a soda, I get bottled made locally. Still bad for you, but I feel like at least I am doing some good by buying local! :)
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Every once in awhile I have a diet soda; Diet Coke is pretty good ice cold and with rum. However, just like I wouldn't want to make a habit of throwing a shot of rum into my beverages, I wouldn't want to overdo the diet soda either. A little isn't likely to be bad for you, but a lot probably will be over the long term.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

MartinSigh2.gif

lol... well, there are plenty of things that are 90% water that I wont be drinking any time soon. Like windex.

If Windex wasn't poison, I'm sure one could hydrate themselves with it just fine.

Diet soda is not poison, so that argument doesn't really hold any water (ha-ha).
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    More "dem feels" and no science against diet soda.

Because there is none.

I love diet soda threads. They need their own bingo cards.

I think my favorite square would have to be "I gave it up and lost 30 pounds!"
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

MartinSigh2.gif

If Windex wasn't poison, I'm sure one could hydrate themselves with it just fine.

Diet soda is not poison, so that argument doesn't really hold any water (ha-ha).

And yet, at 1 ppb, it wouldn't be "poison" at all!

I don't think you understand how concentration affects total dose and how dose rate, dose amount, and dose duration affect chronic and acute toxicity. Which means you're likely not well schooled enough to advise about the benefits or risks of consuming an excessive amount of ANY ingredient daily for a lifetime.

And you're like...super defensive about diet soda. Which is weird.

I don't think it is as innocuous as water, but... go ahead and defend it to the death, if you prefer.

• Showtime1978
    Showtime1978 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Depends on your definition of "bad"...I think it is bad for everyone else if I don't get my diet pepsi! #backoffgetyourown #dietpepsilover
  • GodlessHeathen
    GodlessHeathen Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    No it's fine drink up :)
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

MartinSigh2.gif

I don't think you understand how concentration affects total dose and how dose rate, dose amount, and dose duration affect chronic and acute toxicity. Which means you're likely not well schooled enough to advise about the benefits or risks of consuming an excessive amount of ANY ingredient daily for a lifetime.

I don't think it is as innocuous as water, but... go ahead and defend it to the death, if you prefer.

Everything you said before the bolded part was just d-move posturing.

The bolded part?

Dem feels.

You've got nothing but your posturing and your feels.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options

MartinSigh2.gif

No, I understand dosage/context just fine. The thing is, one would have to drink something like 24 cans of diet soda a day for a really long time to suffer any of the negative effects of aspartame demonstrated in any of the studies on the substance.

That's a lot. Too much of anything can be bad, really. Which is why I try to enjoy everything, including diet soda, in moderation.

And no, not defensive about diet soda - I just think that fear mongering is bad and that bad information should be refuted.

I have *maybe* one diet soda every couple of weeks or so, mainly due to expense and I'm fine drinking coffee, tea, and water on a regular basis.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Do we have any cases of acute toxicity from diet sodas in the US? How many were they drinking daily?

141008-cdc-leading-causes-death-1045_f39ecb08af6a282c507be40176b79ff9.jpg

I answered my own question and I saw one article that found 151 cases of acute toxicity (which did not lead to death, by the way. We're talking dizziness and headaches)

I get fed up with these imaginary poison discussions because it confuses what really is harmful and helpful.

For this reason alone I'll keep drinking my aspartame-laced carbonated beverages, and outlive the naysayers, every one, out of sheer contrariness.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it is true or not but I was told in a college class that many "diet" pops actually do contain a significant amount of calories and the manufacturers have to pay a hefty fine to advertise it as such but due to the very large profits it brings it far out ways the cost of the fine.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @kamakazeekim why not check the rumor before spreading it?

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/1calorie.asp
  • hellyeahmegan
    Options
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

I've been drinking it for years and honestly.. The worst thing it does it bloat you for a little but I do not believe it causes weight gain!