Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I actually agree with him. I was never into sodas but bought a pack of diet dr pepper a few months ago and liked the taste. I noticed that every single time I had one, which was not often, my stomach would be RAGING with hunger and I would go over my caloric goal (not by much, but I felt compelled to eat) despite the discipline I have on days I do not drink it.

I think everyone is different but after my experiences, I can totally do without diet soda!

So, I ate over my calories yesterday because I went to visit a friend yesterday and he not only made a delicious casserole, but he also sent some of it home with me. Naturally, I had to dispose of it quickly and ate the leftovers for dinner. *sigh* I ate early, consumed most of a one-liter bottle of diet Coke and a couple of cups of coffee, went to sleep and I'm still debating on whether I'm hungry enough for breakfast or not. No raging hunger, no upset in my stomach at all. What's true for you is not true for others.

*shrugs* I've been drinking the darn stuff since it had saccharine in it. lo those many moons ago. It hasn't killed me yet. I like the taste and make no apologies for it. It's a shame that so many people work so hard to force others to behave as they want them to behave based on a poor understanding of science (and anecdotal evidence).
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options
    vbaez6 wrote: »
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    vbaez6 wrote: »
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

One concern about artificial sweeteners is that they affect the body’s ability to gauge how many calories are being consumed. Some studies show that sugar and artificial sweeteners affect the brain in different ways.

The human brain responds to sweetness with signals to eat more. By providing a sweet taste without any calories, however, artificial sweeteners cause us to crave more sweet foods and drinks, which can add up to excess calories.

So in conclusion, don't use artificial sweeteners if you can help it (AKA diet soda).

It only increases the appetite for some - for others it helps adherence to their calorie target. Your body does not determine how many calories you have eaten - what you put in your mouth does.

The studies that are thrown around were done under ad lib eating conditions.

Thanks for undermining my reply but I don't see any thoughts of yours posted on here that reflect any sort of academic work. Just opinions after opinions. Oh and more opinions....

Do you realize that of the millions and millions of users on this site, Sara has easily shared and explained more reputable scientific studies than ANYONE else, and quite possibly EVERYONE else combined?

That fact may also undermine your reply to some extent.
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    As I said, I quoted the whole ad as written in the paper. It is the same ad that has been televised nationwide for the past year and the words "toxic fat" are used. Apparently it is a joint campaign between the State Government, Heart Foundation and Cancer to encourage people to eat well, be physically active and maintain a healthy weight.

You know what one of the virtues of a decent person is? Admitting when they're wrong.

A little humility goes a long way.

I noticed somebody flagged you. Thank you for that whoever you are. :)

Herrspoons, I am actually a decent person. By quoting an article from the paper does not make me wrong, or indecent or lacking in humility.

Not liking soda does not make me a bad person.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Missing-the-Point.jpg
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Water is best for hydration. There is no nutritional value in soda at all, but it is loaded with other junk. I personally do have a strong reaction to artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. That's a person choice based on what you believe or how your body responds. My two cents would be - why put chemicals and crap in your body if you don't need to?

Exactly, why would you?

In today's paper, there was a full page ad from the World Health Orgainisation, supported by the Heart Foundation and the Cancer Council. "Say NOOO! to soda!"

"This week, the World Health Organisation confirmed its new guidelines for sugar. Adults should consume less than 10 teaspoons a day, ideally no more than six - about half a can of soft drink. Too much sugar can cause toxic fat to build up around your vital organs and can lead to cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease."

Surely, all these experts aren't delusional and are not all idiots.

You are talking about this press release I assume:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

There is no mention of 'toxic fat'.

Extract:

“We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,” says Dr Francesco Branca, Director of WHO’s Department of Nutrition for Health and Development. “Making policy changes to support this will be key if countries are to live up to their commitments to reduce the burden of noncommunicable diseases.”

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Reducing sugars intake to less than 10% of total energy: a strong recommendation

The recommendations are based on analysis of the latest scientific evidence. This evidence shows, first, that adults who consume less sugars have lower body weight and, second, that increasing the amount of sugars in the diet is associated with a weight increase. "

So, basically, if you eat a lot of sugar, you have more risk of being overweight - not exactly a shocker, not relevant for people not overweight (as long as you have good dental hygiene) and totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Not sure where the "toxic fat" bit comes from but it graces our lounge rooms most evenings through the Australian Government Campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThTr83UWa8
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    As I said, I quoted the whole ad as written in the paper. It is the same ad that has been televised nationwide for the past year and the words "toxic fat" are used. Apparently it is a joint campaign between the State Government, Heart Foundation and Cancer to encourage people to eat well, be physically active and maintain a healthy weight.

You know what one of the virtues of a decent person is? Admitting when they're wrong.

Herrspoons, I am actually a decent person. By quoting an article from the paper does not make me wrong, or indecent or lacking in humility.

Just smh, truly pathetic
  • LeenaGee
    Options
    Missing-the-Point.jpg

Sorry, I don't understand your childish drawing. Please explain it.
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Drawing = "you're missing the point".
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Missing-the-Point.jpg

Sorry, I don't understand your childish drawing. Please explain it.

You keep missing the point, Leena.

This thread is about DIET soda.

You came on here with some blurb about sugary soda as if it were relevant to the discussion and keep defending it by saying "well, it's what the WHO said!"

The point is that the what you posted isn't germane.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Water is best for hydration. There is no nutritional value in soda at all, but it is loaded with other junk. I personally do have a strong reaction to artificial sweeteners, especially aspartame. That's a person choice based on what you believe or how your body responds. My two cents would be - why put chemicals and crap in your body if you don't need to?

Exactly, why would you?

In today's paper, there was a full page ad from the World Health Orgainisation, supported by the Heart Foundation and the Cancer Council. "Say NOOO! to soda!"

"This week, the World Health Organisation confirmed its new guidelines for sugar. Adults should consume less than 10 teaspoons a day, ideally no more than six - about half a can of soft drink. Too much sugar can cause toxic fat to build up around your vital organs and can lead to cancer, type 2 diabetes and heart disease."

Surely, all these experts aren't delusional and are not all idiots.

You are talking about this press release I assume:

http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2015/sugar-guideline/en/

There is no mention of 'toxic fat'.

Extract:

“We have solid evidence that keeping intake of free sugars to less than 10% of total energy intake reduces the risk of overweight, obesity and tooth decay,” says Dr Francesco Branca, Director of WHO’s Department of Nutrition for Health and Development. “Making policy changes to support this will be key if countries are to live up to their commitments to reduce the burden of noncommunicable diseases.”

The WHO guideline does not refer to the sugars in fresh fruits and vegetables, and sugars naturally present in milk, because there is no reported evidence of adverse effects of consuming these sugars.

Reducing sugars intake to less than 10% of total energy: a strong recommendation

The recommendations are based on analysis of the latest scientific evidence. This evidence shows, first, that adults who consume less sugars have lower body weight and, second, that increasing the amount of sugars in the diet is associated with a weight increase. "

So, basically, if you eat a lot of sugar, you have more risk of being overweight - not exactly a shocker, not relevant for people not overweight (as long as you have good dental hygiene) and totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Not sure where the "toxic fat" bit comes from but it graces our lounge rooms most evenings through the Australian Government Campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pThTr83UWa8

Sounds like a dramatic attention seeking way (which is what ads do) of saying visceral fat (which is caused by overconsumption of calories in general).

• ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

I would not thank someone for flagging a post that does not violate any community standards. Flagged posts require review by mods, who have serious issues to address, including severe anorexia, threats of suicide, actual aggressive, persistent abuse, and rampant use of Jennifer Lawrence gifs. Posts should not be flagged because you disagree with or don't like the point.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Wtf does an ad about "free sugar" have to do with diet soda? Just thought this was a good place to put your soapbox?? The only difference between diet soda and water is carbonation and sodium. The end.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    CATCAT77 wrote: »
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

Here check it out http://authoritynutrition.com/why-is-diet-soda-bad-for-you/

Extract - the Take Home Message from the article:

"Take Home Message
    Many of the studies above are so-called epidemiological studies, which can not prove that diet drinks caused anything. Such studies can only show an association.

Whether diet soda can cause harm or not has yet to be proven in controlled trials, but it is clear that there is a strong statistical association between diet soda and disease.

One possible explanation for the link is the fact that people who are already gaining weight are more likely to turn to diet drinks."
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Extract - the Take Home Message from the article:

"Take Home Message
    Many of the studies above are so-called epidemiological studies, which can not prove that diet drinks caused anything. Such studies can only show an association.

Whether diet soda can cause harm or not has yet to be proven in controlled trials, but it is clear that there is a strong statistical association between diet soda and disease.

One possible explanation for the link is the fact that people who are already gaining weight are more likely to turn to diet drinks."

Summed up: correlation is not causation.
  • LeenaGee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    dantl wrote: »
    Wow my first post (now my last) - as I find too much negativity here. That's too bad - you should be nurturing a supportive open environment here, rather than being defensive, critical and immature (laughing, really?) and let people make their own decisions. If something works for you - great - if not then find what does. There wouldn't be thousands of diets if one way worked for everyone. If you want to state what worked or didn't work for you fine - but there's certainly a better way to do that than what I am seeing here.

Jessica asked a question, I provided an answer. She asked why she hears that drinking pop will prevent weight loss. Keep in mind everyone is different and there are long term effects to take into consideration. The incidence of metabolic syndrome is a fact - and you can have it and be thin, so be careful not to fall off the diet wagon - the weight gain will be much worse.

For all of you ingesting chemicals and being so defensive - you do whatever you want. But it doesn't take a genius to know that drinking water is better than drinking pop - or soda or whatever you call it where you live - that is made with chemicals!

Multiple different scientific studies are cited in the articles below, from several credible resources.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/19/artificial-sweeteners-could-be-sabotaging-your-diet/

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20040630/artificial-sweeteners-damage-diet-efforts?page=1

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

http://chriskresser.com/the-unbiased-truth-about-artificial-sweeteners

http://time.com/3380013/artificial-sweeteners-obesity/

Well if my post was so off topic, why don't you just return to topic. Problem solved.

Dantl (another example of someone denied freedom of speech) has provided plenty of links to keep you busy.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

Well if my post was so off topic, why don't you just return to topic. Problem solved.

Dantl has provided plenty of links to keep you busy.

Already addressed. Mercola is a quack. You might as well cite PCRM on the dangers of dairy--they have about the same validity.

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    dantl wrote: »
    Wow my first post (now my last) - as I find too much negativity here. That's too bad - you should be nurturing a supportive open environment here, rather than being defensive, critical and immature (laughing, really?) and let people make their own decisions. If something works for you - great - if not then find what does. There wouldn't be thousands of diets if one way worked for everyone. If you want to state what worked or didn't work for you fine - but there's certainly a better way to do that than what I am seeing here.

Jessica asked a question, I provided an answer. She asked why she hears that drinking pop will prevent weight loss. Keep in mind everyone is different and there are long term effects to take into consideration. The incidence of metabolic syndrome is a fact - and you can have it and be thin, so be careful not to fall off the diet wagon - the weight gain will be much worse.

For all of you ingesting chemicals and being so defensive - you do whatever you want. But it doesn't take a genius to know that drinking water is better than drinking pop - or soda or whatever you call it where you live - that is made with chemicals!

Multiple different scientific studies are cited in the articles below, from several credible resources.

http://drhyman.com/blog/2010/06/19/artificial-sweeteners-could-be-sabotaging-your-diet/

http://www.webmd.com/diet/20040630/artificial-sweeteners-damage-diet-efforts?page=1

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/12/04/saccharin-aspartame-dangers.aspx

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/artificial-sweeteners-sugar-free-but-at-what-cost-201207165030

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

http://chriskresser.com/the-unbiased-truth-about-artificial-sweeteners

http://time.com/3380013/artificial-sweeteners-obesity/

Dantl (another example of someone denied freedom of speech) has provided plenty of links to keep you busy.

These have already been addressed.