Is diet pop really bad for you?

Options

Replies

• maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Wrong question, Is there anything good for you in diet pop? I doubt it.

So? Why does everything we take in have to have something "good" in it? It tastes good, I'd say that counts for something.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There's nothing bad in it either. So...
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    maidentl wrote: »

So? Why does everything we take in have to have something "good" in it? It tastes good, I'd say that counts for something.

Like!!

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

It's nutritional impact is so negligible coming in at near 0 calories per serving that I don't see why that matters.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »

It's nutritional impact is so negligible coming in at near 0 calories per serving that I don't see why that matters.

Not sure how it differs from water then either.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »

Not sure how it differs from water then either.

I was about to edit to include that about water! :P
  • PharmGirl522
    PharmGirl522 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Why are so many people "addicted" to soda? What do they put it in it to make some people want to guzzle gallons of it everyday??

We tend to call that : "caffeine" in most cases.

In others cases, it's no different than being "addicted" to cookies, ice cream, chocolate, or pepperoni pizza: they taste damned good and we have no farking self control, right?

HINT: Nobody is really "addicted" to any of those. Including soda. Including diet soda.

I respectfully beg to differ. Being addicted to food is as real an issue as being addicted to alcohol or drugs -- the only difference being that you can't just give up food cold turkey. Alcoholics have to give up booze, cocaine addicts have to give up coke -- but since food addicts cannot just stop eating entirely, it's an addiction that has to be managed quite s bit differently.

I don't want to get into a big "thing" here -- just wanted to point out that it is, indeed, very possible to be addicted to food.

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    I was going to just laugh heartily at this and then ignore it, but I'm bored and waiting for my hair to dry so I can go outside, so I'm going to dissect this post in point form. I bolded for you the parts of your post I find most absurd.

First off, do you have any sources for the multiple claims you've made? Anything?
    Second, the more threats and insults you have to use to attempt to prove your point, the weaker the point you're making actually is. So anyway...
    -What proof do you have that artificial sweeteners act as neurotoxins to most or many people? How many artificial sweeteners does one need to consume for toxic effect to occur, and over what time frame? Even if artificial sweeteners DO cause brain issues, what makes you think they would be passed genetically to future generations?

-Nice attempted dig at fat people there. Because fat people are dumb and selfish, right?

-Thalidomide and aspartame are not even the same thing. Like, literally not even the same thing. Where are the limbless babies or babies born with birth defects due to aspartame? You're going to tell me there's a huge cover up going on, aren't you.

-Soft drinks aren't free at any place food is served. The cost of the drink is part of the cost of the total meal. The meal that people choose to to pay for and eat. No one is being coerced into buying this stuff and consuming it against their will.

With all your talk of neurotoxins, giant evil megacorporations, vague threats of personal harm, insults and conspiracy theories, it's pretty hard to take you seriously when you don't provide sources. It's too easy to dismiss you for what I'm pretty sure you are.....

a tinfoil hat alarmist.

While I agree with the vast majority of your post, I think the "free" sweeteners to which the poster refers are those found in packets and served with coffee and tea. Maybe, too, the free refills, but as you said, they are figured into the cost of the beverage to begin with.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    What a country! drink what you want! buy into the FDA "safe for all", ignore the hundreds of thousands of people affected by aspartame, negatively, NOT YOU, of course NOT VISIBLY, the most complained about product in USA foods (until FDA switched it's category to bury it) The Artificial Sweeteners act as NEUROTOXINS for many, bioscientists and neurologists, not MDs estimate problems in mental lowering by 3rd generation. so YES all the chubby girls, drink up, pay for a SLEEPER health problem for your future newborn grandchild. Evidence exists that not only are we getting dumber, fewer intelligent people at the high end are being born. why? Yes, any search brings up thousands of hits on the topic.If it were so safe would this be so? seen any issues with carrots?

Young women, look up Thalidamide..how it produced limbless, deformed babies in 50s, because pregnant young women took it for 'safe sleep' and nausea" Germany, all of Europe suffered more than 10,000 babies before it was NOT allowed in here.

30 years consumption of Name Brand Diet soda? good for you, but why on earth do all these people defend the evil megacorporations for dose delivery of a sodium laced addictive neuro stimulator? Self Interest, nobody but 'me' counts, therefore it's OK for all.

Oh well, we are free to choose….this junk is in more than 15,000 products, and FREE at every place food is served..drink up!

declanfoilhead1.jpg

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

declanfoilhead1.jpg

Mmmmmm . . . Jiffy Pop!
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My name is jessica , and I'm addicted to diet pop! I'm trying to give up, it has 0 calories/carbs... So why do I keep hearing it will,prevent weight loss????

We just had this discussion in another thread. No, diet sodas do not impede weight loss. There is no proof that artificial sweeteners are bad for you. They contribute nothing good as far as nutrition goes, but also contribute nothing harmful.

Try substituting fizzy water for one or two of your sodas over the course of the day if you really feel like you need to cut down the soda you drink.

I agree with this...

I drink seltzer water during the week and enjoy diet sodas in moderation. This isn't so much that I think there is anything particularly wrong with diet soda, but I think it is better to be safe than sorry and I try to drink as much water as I can. Seltzer water doesn't compare to diet soda, but I don't really crave diet sodas like I used to. I am happy with seltzer water and having a diet soda on occasion.
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    What a country! drink what you want! buy into the FDA "safe for all", ignore the hundreds of thousands of people affected by aspartame, negatively, NOT YOU, of course NOT VISIBLY, the most complained about product in USA foods (until FDA switched it's category to bury it) The Artificial Sweeteners act as NEUROTOXINS for many, bioscientists and neurologists, not MDs estimate problems in mental lowering by 3rd generation. so YES all the chubby girls, drink up, pay for a SLEEPER health problem for your future newborn grandchild. Evidence exists that not only are we getting dumber, fewer intelligent people at the high end are being born. why? Yes, any search brings up thousands of hits on the topic.If it were so safe would this be so? seen any issues with carrots?

Young women, look up Thalidamide..how it produced limbless, deformed babies in 50s, because pregnant young women took it for 'safe sleep' and nausea" Germany, all of Europe suffered more than 10,000 babies before it was NOT allowed in here.

30 years consumption of Name Brand Diet soda? good for you, but why on earth do all these people defend the evil megacorporations for dose delivery of a sodium laced addictive neuro stimulator? Self Interest, nobody but 'me' counts, therefore it's OK for all.

Oh well, we are free to choose….this junk is in more than 15,000 products, and FREE at every place food is served..drink up!

Neuro stimulator, you mean caffeine? Please cite your peer-reviwed data that has the end result of "Aspartame is EBIL!" BTW now Diet soda is being made with other sugar-substitutes, not just aspartame. There are many making diet soda with Splenda, AKA Sucralose.
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CEkQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.md-health.com%2FDiet-Soda-Without-Aspartame.html&ei=ysH8VObSJZHyoATK5oD4AQ&usg=AFQjCNFBkokVtAEbRWHFz9xNoTIxJwqoPQ&sig2=whkeBPR4sb6TmbW47us-2Q&bvm=bv.87611401,d.cGU
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    I was going to just laugh heartily at this and then ignore it, but I'm bored and waiting for my hair to dry so I can go outside, so I'm going to dissect this post in point form. I bolded for you the parts of your post I find most absurd.

First off, do you have any sources for the multiple claims you've made? Anything?
    Second, the more threats and insults you have to use to attempt to prove your point, the weaker the point you're making actually is. So anyway...
    -What proof do you have that artificial sweeteners act as neurotoxins to most or many people? How many artificial sweeteners does one need to consume for toxic effect to occur, and over what time frame? Even if artificial sweeteners DO cause brain issues, what makes you think they would be passed genetically to future generations?

-Nice attempted dig at fat people there. Because fat people are dumb and selfish, right?

-Thalidomide and aspartame are not even the same thing. Like, literally not even the same thing. Where are the limbless babies or babies born with birth defects due to aspartame? You're going to tell me there's a huge cover up going on, aren't you.

-Soft drinks aren't free at any place food is served. The cost of the drink is part of the cost of the total meal. The meal that people choose to to pay for and eat. No one is being coerced into buying this stuff and consuming it against their will.

With all your talk of neurotoxins, giant evil megacorporations, vague threats of personal harm, insults and conspiracy theories, it's pretty hard to take you seriously when you don't provide sources. It's too easy to dismiss you for what I'm pretty sure you are.....

a tinfoil hat alarmist.

While I agree with the vast majority of your post, I think the "free" sweeteners to which the poster refers are those found in packets and served with coffee and tea. Maybe, too, the free refills, but as you said, they are figured into the cost of the beverage to begin with.

Ahh, I hadn't thought of it in that way. Although a person can still choose to consume/not consume those, and yeah, they aren't free either, despite what elderly relatives try to tell you when they cram fistfuls into their purse.

Maybe they meant free soda refills?
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    Has anyone drank alot of diet soda to the point that normal soda tastes weird or nasty to them???
  • MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    Has anyone drank alot of diet soda to the point that normal soda tastes weird or nasty to them???

It tastes great but gives me tummy troubles afterwards. I'm just not used to drinking that much liquid sugar anymore
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Weird no, but can definitely tell if I'm drinking something sugar/HFCS laden.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png