Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Egg whites make me sad - all those good yolks wasted. :disappointed:

Some people go with the whites to save cals I guess, but I eat the whole egg. Heck, if use egg whites in a recipe, I'll save the yolks and add them to my eggs the next day for breakfast!

Three large whole eggs, (or just two if I have bacon), toast and black coffee is a regular breakfast for me.

pretty much this.

I generally won't eat straight egg white anything- it tastes like disappointment to me. But- because I'm getting a lot more detailed with my food- i'm cutting/saving calories but fluffing the omelette as it were- and doing either 2 eggs with 3 egg whites- or 3 eggs and 2 whites.... saves me some calories.

And yes- I throw yolks out. It's 3.49 for 2 dozen eggs it's 5.69 for a cartoon of 14 egg whites.

yeah- sorry I'm wasting the yolks. And no my effing cats won't eat them- I tried- it just makes a mess. if I had dogs I feed the dog-but I don't. So I'm a waster. oh well. Anyone know if they are any good for the garden? LOL

Where I live it is the opposite, a dozen free-range eggs are$4.99 and a carton of free-range egg whites (16 eggs) is $3.29.

By the way my grandmother used to swear by beer and egg yolks as a hair conditioner.

Man- I'd take that!!! LOL

and yes- egg yolks have some great skin/hair properties- cholesterol and fats are good for you!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    The whole 'cholesterol' issue is really a non-issue. Food cholesterol does not affect blood cholesterol. Actually has no relationship. A lot of people were confused about this including me.
    Whole eggs are awesome! EGG WHITES ARE GREAT TOO! It is about balance. if you can fit a bunch of eggs in great, if you need more protein add some egg whites and save the yolks for something else (or buy a carton of egg whites).
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    spookyface wrote: »
    I eat the whole egg minus that squiggle white thing, that disgusts me. I think it might be the umbilical cord if it was a fertilized egg.

Don't love it either but I don't bother removing it usually. It's called the chalaza. It suspends the yolk inside the egg. No umbilical cords in chicken eggs. :)
  • Marianne802
    Marianne802 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We have our own chooks who give us 5 eggs a day. I do feel guilty throwing away part of their hard work. If I'm saving up for something special later on, I'll eat the white only, otherwise I would eat the whole thing.

z134cd89m5vx.jpg
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Why not both?!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    You will see the calorie punch with the yolk. But this is a good yellow nugget. All the fat soluble vitamins are in the yolk.
  • verapal
    verapal Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One whole egg+ half cup of egg whites+ veggies= excellent breakfast
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I do both, mostly regular large egg. when short on time, egg white.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with eggs: :\