How much sushi?

Options
13»

Replies

• bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you eat authentic japanese sushi/sashimi then you have a bit more freedom to go all out but if your planning on eating westernised sushi then its pretty much the same as eating fast/junk food. Especially the ones with cream cheese. Perhaps ask for brown rice. etc.

Wait what? Where I eat from is Japanese people making it..... but cause it's in the west does that mean it's junk?

As for brown rice... more calories for very little in return. It's not as much of a better option as people think.

Call me a sushi snob, but I have never seen a cream cheese roll at a sushi restaurant. Not a New York one, anyway. I am there for the raw fish. Occasional broiled unagi and ikura, maybe.

[haha, sorry, I just re-read the original post--I missed the Benihana thing on first pass. Nevermind what I said, OP--listen to the other people.]

Honestly, I've had them in several Izakaya in Tokyo. Granted the rolls are "Western" and not "authentic" but the Japanese eat them just the same.

That said, brown rice in sushi is wrong on so many levels. The rice IS the sushi. Sorry, but no.

As to the OP's question, eat what fits into your calorie and macro allowances.

I don't doubt that they have cream cheese rolls there--they eat spaghetti and pizza in Japan, too. They would not be very similar to the kind of thing you'd find at a NJ mom and pop's pizza parlor, though :) It just doesn't strike me as a good way to spend money at a sushi joint... Now, where's my uni and abalone and octopus tentacles!
  • qingc
    qingc Posts: 9
    Options
    ... I have NEVER seen cream cheese used in a authentic sushi before. And yes Japanese sushi owners will obviously make cream cheese sushi but they're it is not a staple they would eat themselves or in their household. I did a exchange in Japan and my host family did eat sushi/sashimi daily but it was not to the amount we eat here or the different varieties. It was usually 4-6 pieces of fresh sashimi or salmon/tuna maki rolls.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Forget about the sushi and rolls, go for sashimi :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually eat two rolls or sashimi, but I stick to basic salmon/avocado or something... Crispy shrimp rolls have a ton of junk in them and not worth the calories IMO... I'd still be hungry after. I usually have some miso soup too, although obviously it's a sodium bomb.
  • MeowSkull
    MeowSkull Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I was getting so frustrated trying to log the sushi splurge lunch I just had that I looked up a thread. I found this one. I'm so happy to see others just saying *screw it!* for a day and just acknowledging the overage.

It's very rare I get it but when we go out, we go all out. It's also usually the only full meal of the day :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    If you like sashimi you can basically go to town.

Yeah, this. Get a chirashi bowl and eyeball the amount of rice, then log the fish at about 1 oz per fish type (depending on the place you end up at, they might give you smaller or bigger slices).

If you like raw fish, sashimi with plain rice is my favourite option. Sushi rice is dressed with sweetened vinegar that contains quite a lot of sugar. The chirashi bowls are usually made with sushi rice, not plain rice.
  • chantels1
    chantels1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    No, no, no...PLAN for the cream cheese! :drinker: That stuff is the most amazing freaking stuff to ever touch my tongue. Mix that creamy texture with the taste of the fish and veggies...oh yeah baby. Log it and work it in!
    [/quote]

^^^ I double what she says! Unagi with cream cheese is the best!!! MMMMM!!!!! We all deserve a cheat day once in a while, or the diet gets old and tiring!
  • mungmungi
    mungmungi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If you're not going to eat raw fish, I would just have chicken teriyaki or katsu don or something. Why would you pay sushi prices for veggies, white rice and cream cheese?