Barbecue for vegetarians/vegans

Options
13»

Replies

• JacquiMarie70
    JacquiMarie70 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Barbecues and holidays are the toughest...recipes anyone? Ideas?
  • EmRobo
    EmRobo Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but you can't go wrong with this recipe!

http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/perfect-grilled-portobellos/

These were to die for! Thanks for the link
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan, but you can't go wrong with this recipe!

http://www.theppk.com/2009/04/perfect-grilled-portobellos/

These were to die for! Thanks for the link
    No problem! I have tried a few dozen recipes from that site, and they're all pretty amazing.
  • aoifehendriks
    Options
    Hello!
    I'm a veggie and I find we are a forgotten species at BBQ time!!!! I don't think I'm too fussy but if I get fed another corn on the cob at a BBQ for my sole dinner I may go crazy!!!! BBQ is a time when carnivores get to go crazy with fantastic things and us veggies go very hungry!!!! Anyway, most of my stuff has been designed to be done in tinfoil (I'm terribly allergic to meat so I need to protect my veggies if they're on the same BBQ as the meat. Otherwise I am a very sick bunny!!) We have a big BBQ every year at our home so I get a separate BBQ for the veggies. Yahoo!!! Anyway, here's some things I like to make. I hope they help! Some measurements aren't too exact. I tend to taste and adjust. Who knows how big any given lime will be or how big anyones pinch or portobello mushroom is!!! If you're catering for veggies please make sure your cheese is veggie friendly!!! Take as guide lines!!!!!:

Tofu Skewers: Vegan

3tbsp sambal oelek
    6tbsp soy sauce
    Juice of one lime
    600g tofu
    A selection of veg to stick on skewer (mushroom, paprika, courgette, cherry tomato, whatever you fancy!)

Marinate the tofu in sambal, soy, lime for at least 2 hours. I throw the mushrooms in too!
    Skewer with veg and BBQ!

This tofu marinade keeps in the fridge for several days if you need to prepare ahead. The longer it marinades, the better it gets!

Stuffed mushrooms: for 6 mushrooms: Vegetarian (not vegan: egg and honey)

6 portobello mushrooms
    2 cloves garlic minced
    3 tsp honey (ish)
    600g spinach
    2tbsp pine nuts
    3tbsp sesame seeds
    350g tofu
    1 egg
    1 large carrot grated
    3tbsp fresh coriander of 1 tbsp dried coriander leaves
    2tsp sesame oil
    2tbsp hoisin sauce
    2tsp sweet chilli sauce
    pinch salt
    3tbsp flour or gram flour (I use gram)
    15 cherry tomatoes

Sauce for 6:
    12tbsp mirin or rice wine vinegar
    3 tbsp hoisin
    3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce

Squeeze tofu of all excess moisture. Don't worry if it crumbles, it will be crumbled anyway!
    Grate carrot. I do fine but coarse would work too! Just squeeze moisture out afterwards.
    Chop fresh coriander or get your jar of dried off the shelf!
    Beat egg and add carrot and coriander.
    Add hoisin, sesame oil, sweet chilli and salt
    Combine
    Crumble tofu into mix and mash with fingers till all chunks are gone.
    Add 3 tbsp flour/ gram flour.
    Fry garlic and pine nuts for 30secs in a tiny tiny bit of oil
    Add a tbsp of water and let heat
    Add spinach and honey and wilt
    Let cool
    Spray/rub mushrooms with a bit of olive oil
    Sprinkle sesame seeds in mushrooms
    Squeeze spinach and put in mushroom
    Squash tofu mix on top
    Top with cherry tomatoes halved

Wrap in tinfoil, poke steam holes in and BBQ!

Serve with sauce of mirin, hoisin and sweet chilli stirred together and drizzled over.

The tofu mix will keep in the fridge for a few days if you want to prepare ahead. I've also done the spinach the night before with no problems. The sauce also keeps fine in the fridge.

Veggie socca wraps: Vegetarian (not vegan: cheese)

Allow 1/4 cup gram flour and 1/4 cup water per wrap (sorry I have cup measures that I bought so I've never translated into grams!)
    Add 1 pinch each of dried rosemary, thyme, and basil per pancake (I like them really herby!) Add less if you're not a herb nut!
    1 small pinch salt per pancake
    30g mozzarella per person
    5 cherry tomatoes per person
    100g of wilted spinach per person (that's 100g raw and then wilted. Sure, however much spinach you like really! I usually end up adding more because I'm a spinach nut!)
    1 tsp pinenuts per person
    4 medium brown mushrooms sliced thin per person

Mix gram flour, water, salt and herbs and leave rest for at least half an hour or overnight if preparing ahead
    Fry batter in frying pan with a tiny coating of olive oil for a minute or two each side till just set
    After frying they also keep in the fridge for overnight prep.
    Place wilted spinach, mozzarella, tomato and mushroom in pancake, roll up and stick in tinfoil
    Poke some steam holes in tin foil and BBQ

Mushrroms in Honey, Lime and Ginger with Lemon Mozzarella: Vegetarian (not vegan: cheese and honey)

6 portobello mushrooms
    3cm cube ginger (- ish!!) grated finely
    1 clove garlic minced
    1 lime
    1 tbsp honey (-ish!!!) Depends on the honey really!
    100ml olive oil
    175g quorn white pieces (that's what a packet is here. do whatever you fancy!)
    12 cherry tomatoes
    180g mozzarella
    2/3 lemons

Heat 100ml of olive oil and add grated ginger, crushed garlic, lime and honey.
    Cook gently for a 30 seconds till honey is dissolved and adjust till mix is sweet and gingery but citrus-y!
    Pour over mushrooms and quorn in a bowl/ box and shake about.
    Leave to marinate for an hour or overnight
    Cut lemon into thick slices and cut out the flesh
    Stuff mozzarella slices into lemon rind
    Stuff mushrooms with quorn and cherry tomatoes and top with lemon mozzarella
    Wrap in tinfoil, poke steam holes and BBQ!
    Discard lemon rind and eat!

Potato garlic mayo salad with toasted hazelnuts: vegetarian (can be vegan: see below)

150g hazelnuts
    1 kilo baby potatoes
    40g parsley chopped
    100g good mayonnaise
    Juice 1/2 lemon
    2/3 cloves garlic roughly chopped
    salt and pepper

Heat oven to 180 degrees C
    Roast hazelnuts for 8 mins or so
    Discard loose skins if falling off (I use skinless so.....)
    Chop baby potatoes into bite size pieces and boil in lightly salted water till tender.
    Drain potatoes
    Blend mayonnaise, lemon juice and garlic with a stick blender and season
    When the potatoes and hazelnuts are cool mix with the dressing and the parsley.

This can be vegan if you make vegan mayo:
    175g cashew nuts
    125 ml extra virgin olive oil
    125 ml water
    1tsp Dijon mustard
    2/3 tbsp lemon juice

Soak cashew nuts in water overnight
    Drain and rinse
    Place everything in a blender and blend till smooth
    Season
    Leave to set in the fridge for at least two hours to thicken
    It will keep for about 3 to 4 days

Or if if you live in America just buy some veganaise! (you lucky people!)

Hope this appeals to some! It's just some of my favourites that are a change from grilled veggies or corn on the cob! Enjoy!

Aoife

PS: I really hate the Linda McCartney stuff and things that taste "meaty" or try to! The taste of meat mostly reminds me of being very ill! I like the white quorn for BBQ because it takes a marinade well but doesn't fall apart as tofu sometimes does. I live in The Netherlands so I am aware that some things change between countries so keep that in mind!!!!
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    O My Word. .. Sooo many Cool Ideas Here Poblanos with cornbread. . Masala. ..Great Thread! :flowerforyou:
  • chelseaalicia
    chelseaalicia Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I've been grilling a lot of fruit this summer. Grilled watermelon is delicious in a spring mix salad with feta cheese & balsamic vinaigrette. Grilled pineapple is a great addition to salsa & shish kabob, Grilled peaches & nectarines are amazing cut in half & pitted, serve with grilled slices of pound cake &/or vanilla yogurt or ice cream (or vegan versions). Wrap peeled bananas topped with brown sugar & nuts into aluminum foil packets & grill - you can also add a little rum (be careful not to do this near the flames).
  • muirspud
    muirspud Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I own a BBQ frying pan

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8152/BBQ-Frying-Pan?src=gfeed&gclid=CMy15Z25_LcCFaTItAodzXcAqg

Awesome for anything vegetarian that you dont want to mix with any of the meat on the BBQ.