Running but not losing weight...

Options

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    sauronseye wrote: »
    My guess was that his general intake was too small, but I might be wrong on that one. I definitely did not mean that he will not lose weight because he stops eating at 19:00.

It's not clear, but it certainly sounds like a very low calorie goal, given the excessive loss target, eating at least 100 cals below goal etc.

My response was more to the implication that the originator might be in starvation mode, which is the kind of nonsense peddled in the forum of woo, or General Diet and Weight Loss as it's properly titled :)

I did go through a period of eating way too low myself; 1600 cals per day. The main effect was that my background level of activity reduced significantly because I was tired and hungry all the time.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Benj, based upon what data you have given us your TDEE should be around 2692. That is exercising 5 times a week. If you want to go aggressive, your calorie input should be 2150. That's TDEE-20%. Is this close to what MFP is suggesting? If so, then cut back and don't eat back the calories that MFP gives you for your exercises. A little hunger isn't a big deal. As my wife tells me, "every time my stomach growls, it's trying to eat my *kitten*". :)
  • sauronseye
    sauronseye Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    What is 'starvation mode'? Do I even want to know? :D

I haven't opened that sub-forum yet, but if it's woo, I am not interested.

My basic intake (is this the right term?) is 1300. But I'm a tiny female, so I don't think that's too low.
  • ruggedshutter
    ruggedshutter Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    My guess was that his general intake was too small, but I might be wrong on that one. I definitely did not mean that he will not lose weight because he stops eating at 19:00.

It's not clear, but it certainly sounds like a very low calorie goal, given the excessive loss target, eating at least 100 cals below goal etc.

My response was more to the implication that the originator might be in starvation mode, which is the kind of nonsense peddled in the forum of woo, or General Diet and Weight Loss as it's properly titled :)

I did go through a period of eating way too low myself; 1600 cals per day. The main effect was that my background level of activity reduced significantly because I was tired and hungry all the time.

I had a similar issue when MFP put me at 1500 calories. I was tired and could barely make it through the day, let alone workout. Once I bumped my calories up, I felt 100% better and haven't looked back.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    What is 'starvation mode'? Do I even want to know? :D

The idea that if one is eating a very low level of calories the body somehow starts storing it instead of expending it. Go down to 800 cals and gain weight. The physics doesn't work at all, but some people believe it.

• sauronseye
    sauronseye Posts: 40 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oh, ok. I googled a bit and yes, those claims are not backed up with any relevant studies.

Still, if you go really low, your weight loss will be lower than expected. Add the psychological factor to it and it might screw with your plan.
  • pgofford
    pgofford Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Any chance you could share your diary, so we could see if there is anywhere any improvements\suggestions could be made?
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    If you are using MFP correctly and aren't losing you are eating more than you think are (poor measuring skills or not logging every single thing that goes into your mouth) or you are overestimating your calorie burns.

It truly is simple in theory. And if you are as accurate as possible for 5 weeks, you should have seen some sort of progress. Assuming no health related issues, etc.
  • upsaluki
    upsaluki Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    The real burn for running is about 100 calories for every mile for an average person. I'd only eat half of that back every day at the max. Also, drink a lot water. Helps with the hunger and your body won't retain water.
  • Bouncer0225
    Bouncer0225 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Are you weight training at all? If you aren't I would HIGHLY recommend adding it. As an Ironman triathlete I still lift HEAVY 5 days per week on top of all my swimming biking and running. Also make sure you are logging EVERYTHING you eat. Weigh EVERYTHING you put on your plate and be brutally honest about you serving sizes when logging them. It is better to overestimate your calories than underestimate them. 90% of the time when people say they are eating in a calorie deficit and aren't loosing weight it is because they are missing calories they have consumed some where or because they are overestimating the number of calories they burn.
  • dennyman100
    dennyman100 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was around 205 starting out this year and here is the plan that has helped me loose over 20 pounds.

I get up around 5-530 AM every morning to exercise (I have to teach at 8 am so thus the early workout). I start out with a slow core workout everyday (sit ups, reverse sit ups, push ups, and squats) Then I do some form of cardio, typically on the treadmill I follow the routine of run for 5 Min, walk for 5 min, run for 4 min, walk for 4 min. all the way to zero. I run at 5.5 mph and walk at 4 mph. Typically this is around 2 miles in 30 minutes. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I do strength training as well with dumbbells. All in all it is about a 1 hour workout.

As for foods, I have begun eating light foods (soups, salads, fruits, and veggies) and I only drink one cup of coffee and the rest is only water.

Lastly, make sure when you are weighing yourself that you do it at the same time everyday, preferably early in the AM before you eat anything.
  • benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey folks,

Thank you to everyone who has replied, it has been very informative.

So this morning is the seventh week in which I have been logging and been taking my values weight / BMI / Body Fat from my scales.

At the start my BMI was 31.5 and body fat 36 - weight was 14 st 12 lbs or 209lbs - 24/01/15

This morning:

BMI 31.1
    Fat 36%
    Weight 14st 9lbs or 205 lbs

I am going to keep going and see what happens, I was just frustrated yesterday!

Cheers for all the help :)

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Set your goal to a half pound a week.
    A bigger deficit does not always mean the weight comes off faster.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Set your goal to a half pound a week.
    A bigger deficit does not always mean the weight comes off faster.

Yup. Especially with so little to lose. I noticed a similar stall when I started running and was still set to lose 1 lb. per week. Once I backed off my goal and toned it down to .5 lb. per week, I started losing again. I think I simply wasn't eating enough to sustain my level of activity along with weight loss.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Personal anecdote: I didn't lose weight until I stopped running/steady state cardio, started paying really close attention to calories, and lifting heavy.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I didn't lose weight until I ....started paying really close attention to calories

That was the important part of that point though.

• benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks for all the comments :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i know someone suggested speeding up your runs, but i'm going to suggest to slow down instead.

if your heart rate is too high, your body will tap into glycogen to burn fuel. glycogen is stored in muscles, and thats not what you want to burn. you want to burn fat, which is what your body taps into on slow and long runs.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    IPullSumo wrote: »
    You are running for 50 minutes and only going 4 miles? I'd say up the speed and get your heart pumping a little bit.

12.5 miles per hour for someone that weight 205 pounds is a totally respectable speed.

Log faithfully and accurately. Drink all your water. Take measurements. You may be losing inches but not weight as your body builds new muscle.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IPullSumo wrote: »
    You are running for 50 minutes and only going 4 miles? I'd say up the speed and get your heart pumping a little bit.

12.5 miles per hour for someone that weight 205 pounds is a totally respectable speed.

Anyone that runs 12.5 miles per hour is blazing fast in my book no matter what they weigh.