Running but not losing weight...

Options

Replies

• glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IPullSumo wrote: »
    You are running for 50 minutes and only going 4 miles? I'd say up the speed and get your heart pumping a little bit.

12.5 miles per hour for someone that weight 205 pounds is a totally respectable speed.

Log faithfully and accurately. Drink all your water. Take measurements. You may be losing inches but not weight as your body builds new muscle.

I think you mean 12.5 min/mi lol.

I can run at "12.5mph" for about 400 meters (my last 400m PR was 70 seconds)

Edit to add: I fertilized the shrubbery at the end of the track after that one...
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    do intervals instead of one long steady run. Push hard for 1 minute, walk for a minute ... etc. Look up HIIT.
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    ^ nice shoulder
    Options
    Hi Sweetie :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Take some measurements (neck, chest, belly button, hips and update them once a month. might be that the running is helping you add muscle while you lose fat. So your weight might not change but your body composition is moving in right direction.

The scale fluctuates so much for me that I tend to only weigh in once a week to avoid the frustration :)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options

I'll second the "nice shoulder" comment :)

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I my experience exercise apps/devices ofter over-estimate the calories burned. I found that my Garmin device becomes much more accurate if I use my hart-rate monitor with it, cutting the calories burned by half!

^^^ This, many HRMs (I'm not sure about the Nike app) record gross calories expended rather than net (those attributable directly to the exercise) I found my Garmin 610 was more conservative than the older models and my 910 even moreso.

To sanity check your caloric expenditure while running use this formula from Runners World

.63 x weight (in lbs) x distance (in miles)

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Personal experience with running is that I seem to retain a great deal of water when increasing speed and/or distance regularly.

I was trying to lose about 5 lbs at .5 lb per wk loss, started half-marathon training, lost nothing for months. Had to pause my training for a short trip, and 4 lbs dropped off in a couple of days.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Personal experience with running is that I seem to retain a great deal of water when increasing speed and/or distance regularly.

I was trying to lose about 5 lbs at .5 lb per wk loss, started half-marathon training, lost nothing for months. Had to pause my training for a short trip, and 4 lbs dropped off in a couple of days.

This is where I'm at right now. It is slightly frustrating, but I think my body is using all the nutrition it's getting which I'm OK with—and I've continued to see strength gains, inches lost, and flab turning firm, so I guess I can bear. :smile:
    Options
    bostonwolf wrote: »

I'll second the "nice shoulder" comment :)

Thank you =)
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Open your diary?
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

I think you mean 12.5 min/mi lol.

I can run at "12.5mph" for about 400 meters (my last 400m PR was 70 seconds)

Edit to add: I fertilized the shrubbery at the end of the track after that one...[/quote]

Oops!

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I find I have to eat back only half of my exercise calories in order to loose weight.
  • dbienz
    dbienz Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm training for my first half marathon (run 4 days per week), do weight training 3 days per week, yoga 2 times per week, and am tracking my diet in MFP. I also have Celiac so am first to each gluten free.

I lost 14 pounds in 2 months and now it has plateaued. Last time I worked out/ate like this I kept losing weight until I was 154 lbs (I'm 6' tall). Currently I'm 194 and stuck... So frustrating! Those 40 pounds are LITERALLY a weight on my shoulders and I'm ready to unload them.
  • benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You are running for 50 minutes and only going 4 miles? I'd say up the speed and get your heart pumping a little bit.

12.5 miles per hour for someone that weight 205 pounds is a totally respectable speed.

Log faithfully and accurately. Drink all your water. Take measurements. You may be losing inches but not weight as your body builds new muscle.

Thank you that is what I thought!!
  • benjaminD02
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Anyone that runs 12.5 miles per hour is blazing fast in my book no matter what they weigh.

Ha ha! Yes but I do not run this at all I run about 4 miles in under an hour!

• benjaminD02
    Options
    Edwardshar wrote: »
    ^ nice shoulder

Huh? Lol

• benjaminD02
    Options
    dbienz wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm not the only one having this problem. I'm training for my first half marathon (run 4 days per week), do weight training 3 days per week, yoga 2 times per week, and am tracking my diet in MFP. I also have Celiac so am first to each gluten free.

I lost 14 pounds in 2 months and now it has plateaued. Last time I worked out/ate like this I kept losing weight until I was 154 lbs (I'm 6' tall). Currently I'm 194 and stuck... So frustrating! Those 40 pounds are LITERALLY a weight on my shoulders and I'm ready to unload them.

Sorry to hear that! Let me know how your training goes!
  • benjaminD02
    Options
    Update:

Hello everyone and a massive thank you for all commenting, I didn't realise I would get so many replies.

So since Friday I have done no exercise - not even walking. On Saturday, I ate takeout and a Sunday roast on Sunday. I didn't log but Monday I did.

I have lost 1 pound. In the past, when I did MFP I never ran or exercised (yes shame on me I know) and I lost weight just fine.

So this gets me thinking, was I in a starvation mode? I was crazy for food on Friday and Saturday and after eating more than normal and back to MPF on Monday I lose 1lbs.

I love running but I do not want to be this crazy about food and about not losing weight!

My current plan is to take two / three weeks of running and just walk each day for 50 minutes - fast pace.

What do you think? Good plan or not? I have bought T25 30 max which I intend to do when I have lost the 10lbs.

Cheers :)
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Eat less and don't eat back your exercise calories. You are eating/drinking more calories than you think.