But my weight DID come on overnight!

Options
12346»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Quasita wrote: »
    ... 60lbs sounds like the kind of weight gain that can come with changes that happen with age.
    These posts make me wonder what the doctor is seeing that we're not. Like is the OP even 60 lbs. overweight or was she starting from an underweight number to begin with? If you walk into a doc's office at 150 lbs. and tell them you've gained 60 lbs. in a year, their internal reaction is probably going to be, "Good, because 150 is healthier than 90. And odds are you're misremembering your year-ago weight, or messing up some math. Or your scale is broken. Or you really REALLY want to believe that you are broken and I can do something to fix you." Because weight loss is slow and hard and you can absolutely gain weight eating clean, organic food.

• ReeseG4350
    ReeseG4350 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    "...a loooong time ago ...I tested having a low thyroid.

THIS! THIS! THIS!
    All other arguments and discussion aside, you ARE hypothyroid. thyroid conditions are not like a cold and you just muddle through until you get over it. YOU DON'T "GET OVER" any kind of thyroid condition! If you once tested hypothyroid, you are still hypothyroid. Go find a doctor who will listen to you and tell this doctor that you are hypothyroid untreated.

You need to get on thyroid medicine immediately. It may take a few tries to find the right medicine for you (Most doctors will start you on Synthroid but (lucky me!) I cannot take the brand name because a buffering agent screws with my joints.) It is better, for most people, to start with the generic levothyroxine but it could still take months before you find the right medicine and the right dosage for you. But, pay attention to your body and listen to what it is telling you. You'll be amazed at how much better you can feel.

Good luck.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    People, seriously. Current medical consensus is that hypothyroidism in itself does not cause weight gain. It's overeating that causes weight gain. There are plenty of people who are hypo who are at normal weights. You may gain more easily because you don't have the same level of metabolism as an average person, but the disease in itself does not cause the gain... what you put in your face does.

60lbs in a year is not "overnight". Me, I gain 20lbs in 2 days just before my period. Over the last 3 weeks, I'm up 35lbs for no damn reason.

Generally speaking, 200+oz of water is too much for anyone that weighs less than 400lbs. I mean, if you feel like that's great for you, I'd be wondering why. It's not good to be urinating clear, and if you are drinking that much water, you could be causing vitamin imbalances simply because you're continuously flushing your system. I drink a gallon of water a day plus other incidentals, but I weigh 400lbs+. The general rule of thumb is shoot for a water goal of ounces that are 1/2 your body weight. So if you weight 200lbs, you shoot for 100oz of water. Pale pee all the way.

It's always calories in calories out. If you associate your gains with medical conditions, it's because the conditions have changed your calories in need, not because CICO doesn't work. That's why it's very important to have regular visits with professionals and trainers when you have a situation that is outside the average experience.

People on this website worry me immensely. When my anorexia shut down my thyroid, and I started struggling with bingeing 1-2 times a week and anorexic the other days, I gained almost 200lbs in a year. 60lbs sounds like the kind of weight gain that can come with changes that happen with age.

Hmm 35 lbs is higher than the entirety of my weight loss since joining MyFitnessPal. It may just be relative but I'd absolutely be panicked out of my mind if those lbs showed up for any damn reason. 60 lbs in one year does not sound like any normal weight gain that should happen with age to me!!

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    People, seriously. Current medical consensus is that hypothyroidism in itself does not cause weight gain. It's overeating that causes weight gain. There are plenty of people who are hypo who are at normal weights. You may gain more easily because you don't have the same level of metabolism as an average person, but the disease in itself does not cause the gain... what you put in your face does.

60lbs in a year is not "overnight". Me, I gain 20lbs in 2 days just before my period. Over the last 3 weeks, I'm up 35lbs for no damn reason.

Generally speaking, 200+oz of water is too much for anyone that weighs less than 400lbs. I mean, if you feel like that's great for you, I'd be wondering why. It's not good to be urinating clear, and if you are drinking that much water, you could be causing vitamin imbalances simply because you're continuously flushing your system. I drink a gallon of water a day plus other incidentals, but I weigh 400lbs+. The general rule of thumb is shoot for a water goal of ounces that are 1/2 your body weight. So if you weight 200lbs, you shoot for 100oz of water. Pale pee all the way.

It's always calories in calories out. If you associate your gains with medical conditions, it's because the conditions have changed your calories in need, not because CICO doesn't work. That's why it's very important to have regular visits with professionals and trainers when you have a situation that is outside the average experience.

People on this website worry me immensely. When my anorexia shut down my thyroid, and I started struggling with bingeing 1-2 times a week and anorexic the other days, I gained almost 200lbs in a year. 60lbs sounds like the kind of weight gain that can come with changes that happen with age.

Hmm 35 lbs is higher than the entirety of my weight loss since joining MyFitnessPal. It may just be relative but I'd absolutely be panicked out of my mind if those lbs showed up for any damn reason. 60 lbs in one year does not sound like any normal weight gain that should happen with age to me!!

60 pounds a year is quite easy to put on. Let's do the math. That's 5 pounds a month. Or about 500 calories a day. I don't know about you, but it would sure be easy for me to over eat 500 calories a day. It doesn't have to be all that much food to do that. A few slices of cheese, a piece too many of bread, a tablespoon or two extra of oil? Poof! 500 calories.

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

60 pounds a year is quite easy to put on. Let's do the math. That's 5 pounds a month. Or about 500 calories a day. I don't know about you, but it would sure be easy for me to over eat 500 calories a day. It doesn't have to be all that much food to do that. A few slices of cheese, a piece too many of bread, a tablespoon or two extra of oil? Poof! 500 calories.

Agreed. I'm not saying it's hard. I'm saying I'd worry if I couldn't explain the weight gain. And that as far as I can tell, there's nothing about turning 29 that automatically means you'll randomly gain unexplained weight! The OP has also repeatedly said she maintained her 120 lb weight for years and hasn't changed her eating. She did mention not liking to run much anymore though she still does it from time to time. I do wonder how much her physical activity has reduced but mostly agree it's time to be very adamant about figuring out what's going on medically

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Agreed. I'm not saying it's hard. I'm saying I'd worry if I couldn't explain the weight gain. And that as far as I can tell, there's nothing about turning 29 that automatically means you'll randomly gain unexplained weight! The OP has also repeatedly said she maintained her 120 lb weight for years and hasn't changed her eating. She did mention not liking to run much anymore though she still does it from time to time. I do wonder how much her physical activity has reduced but mostly agree it's time to be very adamant about figuring out what's going on medically

Oh, I do agree with that. 29 is a bit young for the age thing to be a factor. Were there 20 more years happening? Well, maybe then age would be a factor.

There are two threads now and I keep confusing them. On one of them, I do think the OP has a problem. I think this is the one where I think she has a thyroid problem and I got confused for a second. :blush: