What is/are your NOPE ingredient(s)?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    partially hydrogenated oil...

Also, not a big fan of high fructose corn syrup...I'd rather have cane sugar. IMO, high fructose corn syrup is too sweet and beverages and whatnot made with cane sugar, that sweetness is more subtle and makes for a more refreshing beverage when it's hot out.
  • nuttynanners
    nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fat

^this is the big one to avoid

I also try and minimize stuff with carrageenan and food dyes. I may also start minimizing foods with the commonly used emulsifiers too.

Bought something today that contained Xantham Gum. I've seen it used before, but this time I decided to research it. Turns out it's made from evaporated mold goo. Awesome....

Supposedly the worst that Xanthan Gum can do (so far....) is cause digestive issues in some people, but I'm still kinda grossed out.

Unfortunately thats old news. New research indicates that emulsifiers may be a lot worse than just that :(

http://civileats.com/2015/02/25/how-emulsifiers-are-messing-with-our-guts-and-making-us-fat/

Obviously the data is far from conclusive at this point, but it's definitely concerning.

Well that's...disheartening. But not surprising. Ugh. Thanks for the link. I'll be saving that one!
  • fattybum1111
    Options
    laols01 wrote: »
    Nitrates/nitritees, sulfates/sulfites, high fructose corn syrup.
    These are also the things I avoid especially sulphates.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i have come to avoid "low fat" in general. I'd rather eat something with normal fat levels, and eat it in moderation, than to eat something loaded with chemicals to make the low-fat foods more palatable.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Any type of fructose (HFCS, sugar, etc) as one of its main top ingredients, hydrogenated fats/oils, "natural flavors," food colors. The less ingredients, the more I am inclined to buy the product. Generally though, I won't buy it unless I know all the ingredients.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If it is super high in sodium, or if it has mushrooms in it, I put it back. Otherwise I'm not terribly picky.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I don't really have any "nope" ingredients :neutral_face:

Except coffee. But that because coffee, to me, is the worst taste on earth. But apart from that...
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners are on the avoid list for sure.
    Other things like ultra fake, reduced fat/fat free, lots of artificial colors/flavorings, corn syrup, etc are on the probably will not buy list.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options

Mushrooms. Ew.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    They list of my ok things is way shorter then my not ok things. I look for things that have 5 ingredients or less. I also don't buy a whole lot of packaged things either. My body hates processed foods on so many levels.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any sweetener that isn't cane sugar, beet sugar, honey or agave.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I have no nope food. Only "hell yes, get in my cart!! " food.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Onions. I hate them in any form. If they are on the label, the product stays on the shelf.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I really can't stand sausages with a crazy long ingredient list. If there anything than meat, spices and the casing I avoid it.

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    As previously mentioned by others, I try really hard to avoid trans fat/partially hydrogentated oils. I also avoid artificial sweeteners as much as I can, but that's simply because I drink WAY too much Diet Coke as it is, I don't need to be getting them from my food, too ;). Moderation, right? Plus I don't like my kids eating them and they tend to eat whatever we have in the house, even if I buy it for myself.

Also peas. Because I ****-ing hate peas.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Mushrooms. Ew.
    I'm with you there. Cannot stand mushrooms.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup and artificial sweeteners. I've really tried, but they gave me massive carb cravings (Stevia is ok).
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I don't have any specific ingredients that I look out for but if the sodium sounds crazy high I'll put it back.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Gluten. I have celiac disease.