What is/are your NOPE ingredient(s)?

Options
nuttynanners
nuttynanners Posts: 249 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
You're strolling down an aisle at the grocery store and a new product catches your eye...

Being the avid label reader that you are, you decide to read the ingredients on the product.

What ingredient(s) would make you automatically put that item back on the shelf?

Or, alternatively, did you have a favorite food that you later discovered was loaded with a "toxic" ingredient? Did you stop eating it, or perhaps reduce your intake?

Replies

• spoonyspork
    spoonyspork Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Stevia and all artificial sweeteners. I don't believe in any of that 'toxic' stuff, but that crap is toxic to my tongue! More and more things have started to sneak it in, too. Used to LOVE vitamin water. Then one day I bought a nice cold one, took a big gulp... and immediately up-chucked the gulp. Looked at the ingredients: stevia! Looked at the last bottle I'd gotten: no stevia! This was the 'normal' one too -- not low sugar or zero.

Same thing almost happened with instant hot chocolate. Luckily I smelled it soon as I pored it into the cup. Went back to the store: EVERY brand now puts it in, apparently! Only one that doesn't: the publix brand with marshmallows (the one without does).

I don't know if they're trying to make stuff even more sweet, or are trying to lower the amount of sugar, or what... but it's *gross*. This isn't a matter of learning to tolerate it either: my entire life my mom always only had diet drinks in the house. Tried and tried to learn to like it: my stomach immediately retches soon as the taste of ANY of the 'fake' sugar touches my tongue. It should never, ever be a replacement or addition to something sweet, unless it's specifically supposed to be 'diet' and marketed toward such people who need sweet but can't/won't do sugar. Drives me mad. </rant>
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Artificial sweeteners - I get horrible headaches from them.
    Transfats - hydrolyzed fat- and other terms they use to hide trans fats. We just aren't equipped to handle them.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Anything which has a long list of ingredients on the label or is very high in sodium or sugar (apart from the obvious like soy sauce).
  • amw1919
    amw1919 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    High fructose corn syrup, caramel color, brominated vegetable oil
  • nuttynanners
    Options
    Lizzy622 wrote: »
    Artificial sweeteners - I get horrible headaches from them.
    Transfats - hydrolyzed fat- and other terms they use to hide trans fats. We just aren't equipped to handle them.

I just learned that a TON of the foods on the shelves in the store are legally allowed to label their foods as 0g trans fat, but they still contain them!!!

The FDA lets manufacturers get away with having up to .5g trans fat per serving in a food...it's not Trans Fat Free at all!! If you had two or more servings a day of that particular food, it would add up.

It's ridiculous.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Aside from the ones I medically have to avoid, any sugar alcohols that aren't erythritol. There's no way to accurately account for them, so I'd rather not guess and hope.
  • nuttynanners
    Options
    Stevia and all artificial sweeteners. I don't believe in any of that 'toxic' stuff, but that crap is toxic to my tongue! More and more things have started to sneak it in, too. Used to LOVE vitamin water. Then one day I bought a nice cold one, took a big gulp... and immediately up-chucked the gulp. Looked at the ingredients: stevia! Looked at the last bottle I'd gotten: no stevia! This was the 'normal' one too -- not low sugar or zero.

Same thing almost happened with instant hot chocolate. Luckily I smelled it soon as I pored it into the cup. Went back to the store: EVERY brand now puts it in, apparently! Only one that doesn't: the publix brand with marshmallows (the one without does).

I don't know if they're trying to make stuff even more sweet, or are trying to lower the amount of sugar, or what... but it's *gross*. This isn't a matter of learning to tolerate it either: my entire life my mom always only had diet drinks in the house. Tried and tried to learn to like it: my stomach immediately retches soon as the taste of ANY of the 'fake' sugar touches my tongue. It should never, ever be a replacement or addition to something sweet, unless it's specifically supposed to be 'diet' and marketed toward such people who need sweet but can't/won't do sugar. Drives me mad. </rant>

I've been trying to limit my intake of artificial sweeteners.

Stevia is the new favorite because it can be marketed as natural, having come from a leaf, but it's still highly processed. While the taste has grown on me, I don't really think it should be considered a whole lot better than its counterparts...it's still highly processed.

Plus, the body doesn't really know what to make of artificial sweeteners, from what I gather. I've heard that people who consume large amounts of artificial sweeteners actual end up eating more. Also these fake sugars can lead to insulin resistance...... hello diabetes!
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I am a label reader too. Mostly for sodium, & sugar. I can't say there are particular ingredients I zone in on. But if the list is unusually long, or has too many things I can't easily pronounce, that item gets a second though.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated fat
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beets...only beets.
  • nuttynanners
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Beets...only beets.

Hahaha what do you have against beets? They never hurt anybody!
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    High Fructose Corn Syrup
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

^this is the big one to avoid

I also try and minimize stuff with carrageenan and food dyes. I may also start minimizing foods with the commonly used emulsifiers too.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Stevia is from a plant. You have to research the product to find out if they are using the pure form of stevia. If so, it is a no calorie all natural sweetener. Problem is, most times it is not the pure form of stevia.

Honestly I've been making small substitutions to my "go to foods" for the last two years. Constantly trying to switch to organic, more natural, less ingredient foods. I shy away from long ingredient lists that contain things I can't pronounce. My goal is to get around 90% whole foods or as least processed as possible. Leaving about 10% for the occasional indulgence or eating out.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Beets...only beets.

Hahaha what do you have against beets? They never hurt anybody!

They hurt my taste buds.
  • laols01
    laols01 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Nitrates/nitritees, sulfates/sulfites, high fructose corn syrup.
  • nuttynanners
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »

I also try and minimize stuff with carrageenan and food dyes. I may also start minimizing foods with the commonly used emulsifiers too.

Bought something today that contained Xantham Gum. I've seen it used before, but this time I decided to research it. Turns out it's made from evaporated mold goo. Awesome....

Supposedly the worst that Xanthan Gum can do (so far....) is cause digestive issues in some people, but I'm still kinda grossed out.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

Bought something today that contained Xantham Gum. I've seen it used before, but this time I decided to research it. Turns out it's made from evaporated mold goo. Awesome....

Supposedly the worst that Xanthan Gum can do (so far....) is cause digestive issues in some people, but I'm still kinda grossed out.

It's what molecular gastronomy chefs use to make all those foams that were so trendy for a while. The real purpose of it is just a thickener, and it's a safe substitute for people who can't use flour or corn starch to make gravy or cream soups. Cheese is mold, too, so there's that.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Do you also avoid antibiotics?
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Beets...only beets.

Send them to me! I LOVE beets. Problem is, so does DH, so they usually disappear from the fridge pretty quickly.