Body Frame & Shoe Size

Options
On several forums, people have expressed frustration that many of us overweight people claim to be large framed, but really aren't. In the same sentence, they 'prove' that they are large framed because they have a large shoe size. However, I always thought that shoe size was more accuately associated with height.

So, here's my question to you: does shoe size actually say anything about your frame?

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont think theres any relation LOL. its just genetics.

no more than a mans foot size is indicative of his... ahem ;)

im short and have a huge foot. i do not necessarily have a large frame (i dont think)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Interesting question. I often here the put your fingers around your wrist thing to find out your correct frame. But I always have fluid retention in my wrists, so that won't work for me.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Um, only if you're a man! cackling :wink:
  • berlynnwall
    berlynnwall Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I don't think so and here is why: Every time I got pregnant, my foot went up in size. I started out at a 7.5 and now I'm a 9. My frame was obviously the same the whole time.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    I don't think shoe size matters. My best friend growing up was 5'1 and we had the same size feet. I'm 5'8 and wear a size 9. I also have heard wrist size is a good indication of frame size. According to the chart I am small-boned. But I do have wide shoulders and hips, so . . . who knows?

I found the following chart at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

"Body frame size is determined by a person's wrist circumference in relation to his height. For example, a man whose height is over 5' 5" and wrist is 6" would fall into the small-boned category.

"Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned.

"Women:
    Height under 5'2"
    Small = wrist size less than 5.5"
    Medium = wrist size 5.5" to 5.75"
    Large = wrist size over 5.75"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6"
    Medium = wrist size 6" to 6.25"
    Large = wrist size over 6.25"
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size less than 6.25"
    Medium = wrist size 6.25" to 6.5"
    Large = wrist size over 6.5"

"Men:
    Height over 5' 5"
    Small = wrist size 5.5" to 6.5"
    Medium = wrist size 6.5" to 7.5"
    Large = wrist size over 7.5"
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I think that there is probably some correlation, but it isn't a strong correlation.

Plus there are other issues. Pregnancy and other hormonal issues can change shoe size. Many people find that their feet get bigger as they age. I have the opposite problem--my feet and hands are getting smaller because my body is cannibalizing my extremities in order to hold on to belly fat--it's a wacky side effect of a metabolic disease that I have.

My feet were size 10 my whole adult life--then I stabilized at 9.5 for several years after losing quite a bit of weight. Now I seem to be closer to a women's 9.
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't think so and here is why: Every time I got pregnant, my foot went up in size. I started out at a 7.5 and now I'm a 9. My frame was obviously the same the whole time.
    Me too. Started at a 7, now an 8.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    based on that i have large frame :/ whatever. LOL
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    back when I was overweight I used to think I had a larger frame, but in reality I have smaller ankle and wrist joints
  • kroff2003
    kroff2003 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    HopeToRun wrote: »
    I don't think shoe size matters. My best friend growing up was 5'1 and we had the same size feet. I'm 5'8 and wear a size 9. I also have heard wrist size is a good indication of frame size. According to the chart I am small-boned. But I do have wide shoulders and hips, so . . . who knows?

I found the following chart at http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/imagepages/17182.htm

"Body frame size is determined by a person's wrist circumference in relation to his height. For example, a man whose height is over 5' 5" and wrist is 6" would fall into the small-boned category.

"Determining frame size: To determine the body frame size, measure the wrist with a tape measure and use the following chart to determine whether the person is small, medium, or large boned.

"Women:
    Height under 5'2"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Height over 5' 5"

"Men:
    Height over 5' 5"
    This would only be possible once you are a normal weight. Carrying 100 extra pounds will cause your wrist size to be larger.

• nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    I dont think so. I know of a tall person who has very small feet. Its the same thing if a guy has big ears lol
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    Options
    kroff2003 wrote: »
    HopeToRun wrote: »

"Women:
    Height under 5'2"
    Height 5'2" to 5' 5"
    Height over 5' 5"

"Men:
    Height over 5' 5"
    This would only be possible once you are a normal weight. Carrying 100 extra pounds will cause your wrist size to be larger.

thats what im thinking, too. if i had to judge myself, i would say i have a medium frame.

come back a year from now and ask me again, we'll see what my opinion is at that point LOLOL
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    False for me
    5'11" size 11 :'(
    Wrist: 5.75"
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I don't think so. Things aren't always proportional. :neutral_face: I have a medium build with broad shoulders and hips... My average shoe size is 9.5 depending on brand. And I just know when I get down to a healthy weight I'm going to be a bobble head for sure.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know. I just know that I wear a size 16 and I have a large frame.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame. I am also tall, at 5'11", my bones are small, not heavy. My shoe size is 11. I have narrow feet.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ignore, editing error!

• Jaywalker_7
    Jaywalker_7 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I always assumed there was a correlation because I feel like my frame is huge and so are my feet. But with all of these different responses I suppose it's just coincidence :-) I have broad shoulders and hips, womens size 12 shoes (Sometimes a 13! Eek!) and a 6.75 inch wrist. Oh and I'm 5'10-5'11. So I'm just huge :blush:
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback all!!!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I'm probably closer to a small frame (I could wrap my thumb and middle finger around my wrist even at 250), but my feet are a size 10 (maybe 9.5 now)