Does 5KM of walking do anything?

Options
So I've been doing dailywalks of 5km with a general km pace of 12:40. Is this helping me? I can't afford a gym membership so this is the only exercise I'm getting at the moment. I just need help. LOL

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Yep. I love walking. All I am doing exercise-wise is walking and yoga and I'm losing weight just fine.

If you want to add other stuff, check out YouTube. There is a wealth of stuff available, all for lovely free!! And you can do it in the comfort of your own home :).
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Walking is great ...10,000 steps across the day (5 miles) earns me 350-450 calories above sedentary dependent on activity level

I use a fitbit zip every day to keep me motivated to move
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Also if you can't get to a gym you can do something like this at home http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Any kind of exercise/movement is good, but just because you do not have a gym does not mean you are limited to only walking. Check out youtube for free exercise videos.
    If you have a bit of money to spend, try hot yoga. I thought I used to hate yoga. Did a few dvd's of it, and had a couple dance classes that did a half hour of yoga at the end and always disliked it. Went to Hot yoga and really really enjoyed it. I got 1-2 times a week now and it's the exercise I do when I don't feel like doing anything. It's a good workout, I feel like I've done a whole body weight lifting session the next day as my muscles have that stiff/worked out feeling. It can be on the expensive side, but it's really great.
  • sarahlucking
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I might try to up my distance and do 7km every day and try to lower that time! I can't afford any kind of pedometer, and can't seem to find a good free one in my app store. Slow and steady wins the race I suppose!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,947 Member
    Options
    What phone do you have?
    Breeze or Moves (iphone);
    Pacer pedometer or Moves (android);
    endomondo or pedometer master (windows mobile);
    noom walk or treadit pedometer (blackberry)
    ?
  • sarahlucking
    Options
    I have an android. I'm currently using map my walk, map my fitness and Google fit.
  • caryb2015
    caryb2015 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I might try to up my distance and do 7km every day and try to lower that time! I can't afford any kind of pedometer, and can't seem to find a good free one in my app store. Slow and steady wins the race I suppose!

On Android, free app called My Tracks.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Walking is great ...10,000 steps across the day (5 miles) earns me 350-450 calories above sedentary dependent on activity level

I use a fitbit zip every day to keep me motivated to move

I do the same. For me, it meant I lost eating an "easy" ~1700 vs. a "difficult" 1200. I'll move my butt for MORE, thankyouverymuch <3

I have a Samsung, so I used the built in "S Health" app with great success for many months while I saved up for my Fitbit Zip. If you don't have a Samsung, get some recommendations from others here for good phone pedometer apps.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Well, it's not very much activity, but it is a respectable start.

I'm guessing that is around 6000 steps...so keep working up until you are closer to 10,000.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As long as it feels brisk, walking can help you meet the heart-healthy AHA recommendation of 150 min per week of moderate cardio exercise. It's a great starting point! Soon, that pace won't feel brisk, and you'll need to speed up or go longer for the same effect. :)

In any event, it burns calories, allowing you to eat more!

(Note, lack of a gym doesn't rule out strength training! There are many bodyweight exercises. Strength training on a deficit doesn't bulk you up--it rather helps ensures that most of your lost weight is fat and not muscle. Something to keep in mind, perhaps as your next step.)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So I've been doing dailywalks of 5km with a general km pace of 12:40. Is this helping me?

Yes
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I walk the long way around to buy butter and milk. It is a 7km loop that way. Burns of lots of calories and keeps me relaxed.
  • 1stplace4health
    1stplace4health Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    yes, burns calories and fat, continue to monitor your food though. you get fit in the gym but you get thin in the kitchen.
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise. 10k steps a day is fantastic. Time to purchase a FitBit to track the steps you take in a day, you will be surprised.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Most of my exercise is walking. I walk about 4.5 km before work most days, and another 1 during my lunch break. That, plus the walking I do at work usually gets me close to my goal of 14000 a day. When you walk, make sure you are pushing yourself enough to get your heart rate up.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or does it seem like all threads are just an opportunity for people to talk about themselves?
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter much how you acquire and maintain your deficit.

Every calorie counts.

Every step counts.
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    Is it just me or does it seem like all threads are just an opportunity for people to talk about themselves?

That's uhh ... kinda the point, right?
  • FemaleWarriorxo
    FemaleWarriorxo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    ncboiler89 wrote: »
    In a way it is.. Its basically people sharing their knowledge and how they can help : p