It's almost spring! Will you walk your dog?

Options
atypicalsmith
atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
My tiny neighborhood has nearly twelve dogs, but they all stay inside. I can hear them barking as I walk my dog. My dog LOVES going for a long walk! We haven't been able to walk in quite a while because of the terrible weather, but spring is a-coming! The entire walk through my neighborhood is one mile, or about 20 minutes (depending on my dog) and it's a joy for both of us. If you don't have a dog, offer to walk one of your neighbors' dog(s)! They will love you (both neighbor and dog).

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It's glorious and sunny here, I even had to slip my jacket off on my dog's 4.5 mile walk this morning (about an hour 15 mins out of my day)

I love spring :) the dog loves being off lead in the park, flapping ears as he runs at full pelt ...best feeling ever

And my fitbit gave me 367 calories for it ... Girls' night out!
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    can't wait for the snow to melt, the temperatures to rise and the streets to be clear so i can walk my dog. i swear she smiles when i get the leash.
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Haha, I never stopped walking him! If I did, our ears would be ringing non-stop! We were lucky here in southern WI, it was a very cold winter but most of the snow missed us. I think we only ended up with 30-40 inches of snow total in our area, way less than normal.

We have a collie, so I'm not concerned about the cold weather anyway. The only days he doesn't get walked at least 2-3miles are heavy snow or ice days. Or I make my husband take him out B)

Even during the winter it's important to get the dog some exercise, so sometimes I'll literally walk him around the house. We have a small loop that I can take him through the kitchen, dining room, and living room that is exactly 20 steps. I get quite dizzy, but after 400 loops, it works just as well.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    When I get the leash out, I swear my dog jumps up and down three times his height (he's a dachshund).
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Where possible, especially the medium to large dogs should be walked at least once a day. If I had a dog I would have to walk it what ever the weather or time constraints. I realise it must be very difficult for those who become snowed in to do this, a real dog person would find some way of entertain and exercise their pet. If you don't like the wet don' get the pet.
  • atypicalsmith
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Where possible, especially the medium to large dogs should be walked at least once a day. If I had a dog I would have to walk it what ever the weather or time constraints. I realise it must be very difficult for those who become snowed in to do this, a real dog person would find some way of entertain and exercise their pet. If you don't like the wet don' get the pet.

My doxie REFUSED to go out in the snow! I had to drag him with a leash underneath a tree where there was bare ground before he would FINALLY poop. Someone advised (too late, but I'll remember next time!) to cover the ground with a tarp, then pull it up, so that my dog would feel more comfortable.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about walking my cat but somehow I don't think that will involve much walking.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Never stopped walking mine. She's a terrier, and if she doesn't get a good amount of exercise, she is a nightmare.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I was thinking about walking my cat but somehow I don't think that will involve much walking.

Hah! You never know until you've tried!
  • Rogstar
    Rogstar Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    My doxie REFUSED to go out in the snow! I had to drag him with a leash underneath a tree where there was bare ground before he would FINALLY poop. Someone advised (too late, but I'll remember next time!) to cover the ground with a tarp, then pull it up, so that my dog would feel more comfortable.

Just yesterday I saw someone carrying their dachshund over a patch of snow. It was one with really furry ears, not sure if it's a different type... but it looked like he had a conversation with the dog first. I imagined it included some choice words, or "are you freaking serious? I have to carry you across this?"
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    I walk my dog now though I admit, not every day. That's cruel...I should walk her every day. But she goes out a couple days a week when it's not below zero. Even though she is a black lab she does not have a thick coat...she has a very thin coat, and she hates being cold... so when it's under 25 degrees or so I put a jacket on her. LOL.

I am anxious for spring - we'll probably walk morning and evening once the temps stay in the 30's and above.
    -
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    As much as I can. The problem is, there's two of them, so my dad comes with me. He has COPD, and last summer when we walked them we couldn't do too much. But he just came home from two months in Florida where he walked one of the dogs every day. As soon as the past few weekends' snowfall melts away (today is actually the first day above 40 since 2/1), I think we're doing it.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    I have a coat for my doxie as well, which he loves! But the snow? No way!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't, because my dog is dog aggressive, and frankly I don't want to deal with it, considering we had to pay $800 of vet expenses once when he attacked another dog.
  • atypicalsmith
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I don't, because my dog is dog aggressive, and frankly I don't want to deal with it, considering we had to pay $800 of vet expenses once when he attacked another dog.

Ouch!! Is there not a secluded area nearby where you can walk him?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I take my dog out every day multiple time. He just likes to go in circles around me or glue himself to one patch of ground though so we don't get too far.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Until recently, we've had a pack of dog-aggressive wandering dogs in the neighborhood--not good for walking my toy-sized terriers, although I've taken my collie for walks. Now that the other dogs are gone and the warmer weather is coming, I'm going to try to walk my dogs more and put them in the yard less. Now maybe I won't have to fill in as many holes! LOL
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    When I get the leash out, I swear my dog jumps up and down three times his height (he's a dachshund).
    My daughter's dog is a doxie terrier mix and jumps incredibly high. :o He also loves snow in short spurts. My husband laughed at me for snow blowing a potty spot for him in our yard but the snow was just too high for him. I can't wait til it warms up enough to take him out on long walks again. Right now he and the cat destroy the living room by chasing each other around in circles knocking down garbage cans and pillows
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options

Have you tried a training program for adult aggressive dogs (assuming there is one near you) ? That must be really hard - esp. since your dog does need to exercise.

I do appreciate your keeping your dog home however, for the protection of others. I was walking my 12 year old dog at a campground one summer and someone at one of the campsites had a huge muscular dog on a leash next to him as he was sitting in a chair. The dog took off after us, roaring and carrying on - and pulled the guy (who was no wimp by the looks of him) right out of his chair and across the ground. It took another person to stop the dog. That would have ended ugly. I remember wondering why they brought a dog like that to a campground knowing there would be other dogs. :disappointed:

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Thanks for keeping him home! One of mine is a little aggressive so I walk with pepper spray to keep 'off leash' dogs away, if needed, or quickly break up a tussle, and I cross the street to avoid encounters with other leashed dogs. I can control her on any collar but a head collar is also a good tool if your dog is stronger than you and pulls away.

I have two big dogs that get walked daily, weather allowing, but they get exercise regardless. They have a big yard and do plenty of playing.