It's almost spring! Will you walk your dog?

Replies

• mhausler93
    mhausler93 Posts: 83 Member
    Yes. I try to walk my dog as much as possible during the winter but if he's out in the snow for more than 10 minutes he begins limping because his paws hurt. But he's definitely my walking/jogging buddy. In the warmer months we go out daily. But on the cold yucky winter days we throw his ball up the stairs and he burns his energy playing fetch up and down the stairs lol.

We actually went for a 3.75 mile walk this morning, I'm loving this sunshine and warmer weather!
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    Dogs rule.

I'm hitting golf balls down the hill to the field for my dog to run back up right now. He's obsessed with it, he starts dropping balls at my feet right when I wake up. I didn't feel like it this morning, I was blowing him off and he dropped one in my coffee cup!!

It's nice we have the room to run him around here when I don't feel like going out, but nothing beats going out for a walk and sniffing around and peeing on things (doggy facebook). Im in California so weather hasn't been an issue. I got him initially to make walks more fun, lol ;)

Ha ha! My dog doesn't play with balls, or any toys for that matter. A friend who owns a playful dog like yours offered to trade dogs with me. Now I see why!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    We live on a hobby farm in the mountains, on 11 acres, surrounded by over 200...we have 3 dogs and were all out romping as much as possible. The standard poodle moves the snow the most. With her long legs, it doesn't slow her down.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    I'm surprised people with dogs don't walk them year round. I thought that was the deal
  • Eudoxy
    Eudoxy Posts: 391 Member
    edited March 2015
    Eudoxy wrote: »
    Dogs rule.

I'm hitting golf balls down the hill to the field for my dog to run back up right now. He's obsessed with it, he starts dropping balls at my feet right when I wake up. I didn't feel like it this morning, I was blowing him off and he dropped one in my coffee cup!!

It's nice we have the room to run him around here when I don't feel like going out, but nothing beats going out for a walk and sniffing around and peeing on things (doggy facebook). Im in California so weather hasn't been an issue. I got him initially to make walks more fun, lol ;)

Ha ha! My dog doesn't play with balls, or any toys for that matter. A friend who owns a playful dog like yours offered to trade dogs with me. Now I see why!

Lol, sometimes it's like "dude, don't you ever get tired of this", but for the most part it's great because I used to have to go retrieve my own balls. Either way I wouldn't trade him for nothing because of course he's the best dog that ever was and ever will be! ;)
  • ogmomma2012
    ogmomma2012 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Training my dog to love his face harness (NOT a muzzle, he is just jumpy and a little dumb, so I need more control and it doesn't hurt him) and we plan on fixing my jogging stroller so we can all go outside. But here in AZ, it's incredibly hot when it hits July or so, so we only have a small window in "spring" to really enjoy palatable weather.
  • kportwood85
    kportwood85 Posts: 151 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I'm surprised people with dogs don't walk them year round. I thought that was the deal
    I thought it was too when I got my dog. Then I tried to drag a 60 pound, crying, shivering, pitbull down the block while she tried to keep her paws off the salt on the road. So, we play ball and tug of war in the garage when the weather is too bad or cold.
  • atypicalsmith
    Poor baby!
  • atypicalsmith
    Training my dog to love his face harness (NOT a muzzle, he is just jumpy and a little dumb, so I need more control and it doesn't hurt him) and we plan on fixing my jogging stroller so we can all go outside. But here in AZ, it's incredibly hot when it hits July or so, so we only have a small window in "spring" to really enjoy palatable weather.

Don't the nights get cool there?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    I took my dog for a walk today, actually, it was 60 outside!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »

When mine was younger, I would walk him in the winter as long as it was safe to be out, but there are days here in the winter where they don't even want people outside for any length of time because it is too cold (some days were -40 with the windchill this year). Bringing an old, small dog out in that weather and exercising him could give him a heart attack. Much safer to keep him inside. He doesn't need much space to be as active as he can be at his age.
  • atypicalsmith
    He/She looks like a sweetheart!
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Love of my Shih Tzu, Roc, can't wait to go on his walk. He so loves it! I'm lucky because we can walk about 10 of the months each year and I am so sad for all of you in that awful cold weather :( The only bad thing is in the summer is we have to walk REALLY late or REALLY early with the heat, his poor little pads would be burned. The circle (2miles, gotta love it) is made of asphalt. Hope your puppy can go for his walk every day and enjoy the weather, the other people and of course, the other puppies. <3
  • atypicalsmith
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    Love of my Shih Tzu, Roc, can't wait to go on his walk. He so loves it! I'm lucky because we can walk about 10 of the months each year and I am so sad for all of you in that awful cold weather :( The only bad thing is in the summer is we have to walk REALLY late or REALLY early with the heat, his poor little pads would be burned. The circle (2miles, gotta love it) is made of asphalt. Hope your puppy can go for his walk every day and enjoy the weather, the other people and of course, the other puppies. <3

My doxie and I took two one-mile walks today for the first time in ages; it was such a beautiful day! It gets hot here sometimes as well, but early morning/late afternoon is fine with us!
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    edited March 2015
    Unless I literally could not get out, there is no reason why my dog would not get at least two walks a day.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,228 Member
    I can't believe that there are people who don't walk their dogs every day.

Those people should be poked with sharp things.

Meh,I used to have a little chihuahua, I had young kids who played with her all the time and a big back yard, she got plenty of excercise without going for walks.

Now I have a fox terroir and no young kids, she goes for a walk most days ( no snow in winter here) but if it's pouring with rain or thunderstorms or 45 degrees celcius (things that do happen here) then she misses a day here or there.

Feel free to poke sharp things my way - and I will feel free to make sensible decisions for My dogs in MY location.

• likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    I walk my Pinscher-Mix 1,5 hours every morning (around 10k). from 1:30 to 2:30 -> time for the dog run to play fetch or run around with other dogs, then another 30-60min walk at the evening. No matter the weather :P He had a little aggression thing going on, so walks were rather stressful, but we worked on that with a trainer, and he is under control now :) it is normal for Germans to walk their dogs 3 times a day...so I was rather surprised when I saw, that some people don't walk their dogs at least one time..
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Oh, that's him btw :) I love that little duuude <3
    aateq8lnbjfo.jpg
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    Oh, that's him btw :) I love that little duuude <3
    aateq8lnbjfo.jpg

I request another picture of this lovely creature @likehlikeo
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Rogstar wrote: »
    Haha, I never stopped walking him! If I did, our ears would be ringing non-stop! We were lucky here in southern WI, it was a very cold winter but most of the snow missed us. I think we only ended up with 30-40 inches of snow total in our area, way less than normal.

We have a collie, so I'm not concerned about the cold weather anyway. The only days he doesn't get walked at least 2-3miles are heavy snow or ice days. Or I make my husband take him out B)

Even during the winter it's important to get the dog some exercise, so sometimes I'll literally walk him around the house. We have a small loop that I can take him through the kitchen, dining room, and living room that is exactly 20 steps. I get quite dizzy, but after 400 loops, it works just as well.

You're so lucky! We are in southern WI, but we have a pit/boxer mix who doesn't handle anything under 25 degrees. It was a LOOOOONG winter!