It's almost spring! Will you walk your dog?

Options

Replies

• kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    Rogstar wrote: »
    Haha, I never stopped walking him! If I did, our ears would be ringing non-stop! We were lucky here in southern WI, it was a very cold winter but most of the snow missed us. I think we only ended up with 30-40 inches of snow total in our area, way less than normal.

We have a collie, so I'm not concerned about the cold weather anyway. The only days he doesn't get walked at least 2-3miles are heavy snow or ice days. Or I make my husband take him out B)

Even during the winter it's important to get the dog some exercise, so sometimes I'll literally walk him around the house. We have a small loop that I can take him through the kitchen, dining room, and living room that is exactly 20 steps. I get quite dizzy, but after 400 loops, it works just as well.

You're so lucky! We are in southern WI, but we have a pit/boxer mix who doesn't handle anything under 25 degrees. It was a LOOOOONG winter!
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My dog hates the snow too....I usually shovel off a patch of grass when it snows, but Ill remember the tarp suggestion! Luckily we have a toy breed, so lots of good ole fashioned fetch (in the house) gets her plenty of exercise in the winter!
  • _QueenE_
    _QueenE_ Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yep :)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    we live in way out in the country. my younger dog (just turned 1 thursday!) goes on walks with me whenever i go - anywhere from 3-5 times a week, and they are upwards of 2-3 mile walks). Shes a high energy 50 pound mutt. but she also runs free in the mornings and visits her doggie friends and plays with them. not everyone has that luxury, i know. (but boy does she love it!)

my 7 year old mini schnauzer loves walks, but HAS to stop for EVERYTHING. every blade of grass, mailbox, tree, whatever. so hes a pain to walk with. my girls take him out with them pretty often, though. in general hes pretty lazy though, and doesnt really like to be outside to begin with, unlike his younger 'sister' LOL

Our last dog (who unfortunately passed away last year due to old age) REFUSED to take walks. When I would try to take him out with the kids (kids in the stroller), he would jump into the basket under the stroller and ride that way, lol! Or else, just sit down and not budge until you picked him up or said "home"...then he would run to the front door, lol. He was a lazy bum! From the time we got him (around 2 years).
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I'm so with you. It breaks my heart to hear the dogs barking from inside when we walk our dogs.

A happy dog is a tired dog. Not many humans know that but that's the best a human can do for their four legged family member - take them for a walk.
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I have never been really good at walking our dogs. We have a Lab/Dane mix and a Boxer/Pit mix. They love being outside, love other people and dogs and always want to play. They're not good on a leash though. We've tried so many different ones, and probably have one of every harness ever made, and nothing helps them. They pull way too much and zigzag across the sidewalk constantly. But we have a big, fenced in yard, so they definitely get enough exercise running around there. I just wish I could take them for walks or runs when I go. We haven't tried them out yet for this year since it's just starting to get nice here in Buffalo. But I plan on getting my hubby to take them out with me and see how they do.
  • Jesslan_Rose
    Jesslan_Rose Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about walking my cat but somehow I don't think that will involve much walking.

Before my Husband and I rescued a dog we would take our cat, Lucius, to the park and walk him. He loved it. Even more he loved going down slides repeatedly. ;) Gypsy on the other hand was to scared to be on a leash except when at home on the porch. So I always put her in her pet stroller where she feels safe whenever we were at the park.
    ~♥~♥~♥~♥~♥~
    To answer the original question, yes. I will most definitely be taking my dog for walks again. Though she is so little it's more a form of torture to her. She refuses to walk the entire trip and will only walk the return trip which is fine with me. But I've missed our walks terribly this winter.
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I love going for walks, but feel weird absently strolling through the neighborhood- I like to have a purpose, ya know? Anyway, I fell in love with this face at the shelter in January, and what better purpose to get out and moving- My little Tibetan Spaniel named Cheese. What I didn't take into account were those short little legs! Just eight blocks. That's my dog's limit. Those of you with smallish dogs, how long can they go before their legs wear out?

10k every morning, another hour midday and then a trip after dinner. He is 10 pounds, a min. Pinscher mix. He LOVES nothing more than running next to a bike, skateboard, longboard...you name it...he is simply a crazy dog B)
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I have two pugs. The three of us are in serious need of a good workout. I will take them on walks every day, and "hiking" on most weekends. They LOVE it! :)
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would love to walk my dogs. However, our neighborhood is overrun with dogs that don;t stay in their yards. And they will openly approach you especially if you have a dog. I do not want my dog in a fight, because if another dog approaches me, both of my dogs will jump in front of me to protect me. :/ I would hate another dog to get hurt or one of mine. *sigh* Wish I lived in the wide open country.
  • freefallebby
    freefallebby Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I got a Dachshund mix puppy this year after years of wanting one, we named him Tawko, I mostly got him because I wanted a walking partner and couldn't commit to a big dog, I fell in love at first sight! Only problem is he's a big suck and hates wet weather, he'll dig in his heels and refuses to walk without coercion (treats or drag him looking like the abusive dog mom)... it's frustrating, so I pick him up and get wet/muddy carrying him home. So we walk only on days he deems worthy of walks... <3 my tiny little dictator doggie. I hope I can train him to enjoy or at least attempt all weather walking, because I love camping and hiking.
  • 4bettermenow
    Options
    I can't believe that there are people who don't walk their dogs every day.

Those people should be poked with sharp things.

Sometimes its not safe to walk your dogs...but I have a large backyard and we play with them daily. So maybe thats ok?
  • burnsjulia
    burnsjulia Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I've got a nearly 7 year old high-energy boxer mix and she gets a couple miles with me every day and often another walk with my daughter. I'm ever so slowly starting to run with her again coming back from an injury (mine, not hers). We've been loving the winter since we're in Florida and dreading the coming heat.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    My dog gets walked rain or snow - he's a husky mix and is in love with the snow! If you don't walk him you are also going to have a 50lb dog attached to your leg whining the rest of the day so it's best to get it out of the way. He gets so much joy from the walks that I can't imagine not taking him! It cheers me right up just seeing his happiness. I can't wait for it to warm up a bit so we can take some longer walks, right now it's at about 20 minutes before I start freezing. 45 would be ideal for him.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Sometimes its not safe to walk your dogs...but I have a large backyard and we play with them daily. So maybe thats ok?

My cousin adopted a somewhat dog-aggressive black lab.
    She'd drive out to the industrial park to walk her dog so the dog would get it's walks without attacking anything.
    I think the dog is less aggressive now, I'd have to ask
  • m_johannes
    m_johannes Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I LOVE walking my dog! I live in a small neighborhood that is mostly rental properties, and I swear, I'm one of only like three people that consistently takes their dog for a walk. Everyone else just puts them out, tethered on a cable, or worse, just lets them roam free. It's incredibly disheartening. Anyway, my dog is a medium-sized guy so could probably use a good walk every day, but I do slack off in crappy weather. Looking forward to spring!

Wouldn't it be fun to put my rabbit on a little kitty cat harness and take him for a short walk??
  • 4bettermenow
    Options

My cousin adopted a somewhat dog-aggressive black lab.
    She'd drive out to the industrial park to walk her dog so the dog would get it's walks without attacking anything.
    I think the dog is less aggressive now, I'd have to ask

That would work if I could transport them. LOL I have a 120lb Akita and a 60lb shepard. My car's backseat wouldn't hold them both. And my husband drives the truck for work. But, like I said, we have a large backyard, and play and run with them daily back there. They love fetch and chase and tug o war. So, I know they are getting the exercise they need. Oh, they do love to chase our cats too, which is a fun game for all species involved. So, it is what it is.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I walked my dog all winter (except for when it was -20 or colder). We didn't get a ton of snow, but since we have snow/winter for 6+ months each year not walking her in the winter isn't really an option. Luckily my dog LOVES snow & has a thick coat so the cold doesn't bother her much.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    My family just adopted a dog from the local shelter a month ago and I am loving walking her! Still working on teaching her not to pull too hard...but that keeps me going. She will run with me too. I've found that if I'm hem-hawing around about going for a walk, I'm more motivated to do it now because I know she loves it. :)
  • MarciBkonTrk
    MarciBkonTrk Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    When I first started my fitness program my puppy walked with me everyday. There were days when we walked five miles or more. She walked me to a weight loss of over 100 pounds and she helped me keep it off. But she is now twelve years old and terminally ill :'( so now I try to walk my husband (LOL) every day. When she has a good day we do go outside and walk around the yard or play fetch with her stuffed hedgehog. When her time comes we'll rescue a new family member or maybe even two who will walk with me faithfully.