• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    apfei wrote: »
    Hmm... Thanx for the replies, everyone. I see my doctor on Tuesday on another matter and will follow up with him on whether it indeed was food poisoning.

They didn't tell you/talk to you about the reasons you'd be throwing up at the ER??

I know right.

But when in doubt make a thread on MFP saying it was something it's probably not.

Why on earth is this flagged?

And OP- that sounds like food poisoning. The ER should have given you a preliminary idea as to what it was. I sincerely doubt they said it was fiber consumption. I have NEVER seen a diagnosis of "too much fiber intake" on a patient who was vomiting in the 9 years I have been on an ambulance (both transport and 911). Intestinal blockage (from too much fiber supplement in nursing home patients) yes, but you would not have been released. That typically requires surgery. 33g isn't even that high. Did you perhaps take fiber capsules with a built in laxative? (They are rare but possible). Or was it all natural food?

Because people think anything the don't like is flag worthy.

How sad :(. I think we should have a "like" sticker lol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Many diet authorities will suggest you ramp up your fiber levels slowly because it can cause gas and constipation in people, or other bathroom issues. I don't know how it could cause vomiting.

This. Different issues and not a reason to avoid fiber anyway, but just to realize that if you start at a low level there may be reasons to go slowly.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    apfei wrote: »
    Just a quick note to remind everyone to be cautious about adding fiber to your diet. I wasn't and ate 33 grams on Wednesday and wound up in the ER with vomiting and diarrhea. Yuck! It was pretty grim and i don't want anyone else to have to go thru it. The Canadian guidelines call for only 15g of fiber and i will be going by this from now on. The American number of 25g seem excessive. Be safe everyone!

The US now suggests 40grams of fiber for adults as you age. I have never heard of anything like the above. I know if you introduce to much to fast you'll become constipated but never heard of ending up in the ER. I've not caught up on this thread so I'll continue to read in case you'd added more info. :)

I eat approx. 40 grams of fiber from foods daily, there are some days when I eat a bit more processed foods and it's much harder to get 40 grams in. I try not to do that very often as I feel far more satiated when eating properly for my body (please don't read in to that... as I did add 'for my body' and my health needs) :). My goal is to eat less processed and try and get all my fiber needs from whole foods.

It's not always easy doing that (eating only whole foods) but that's my ultimate goal on MFP to change my eating style as well.

So sorry that's happened to you, hope you're up and feeling better soon.

To low on fiber has it's set of issues as well... so I do hope others don't take from this to not eat much fiber in their daily diet.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    I went over my fiber yesterday. Am I going to die?!?!

Are you sure you're not already dead?

I think I have to be. I routinely get at least 30-50g.

YAY! That is awesome that you get that much in daily...it's so good for us and low fiber can cause such bad problems for our body. I know you've shared you deal with your fair share of health issues so you problem already know that.

I'm just happy to see ppl eating closer to the amount suggested :):)
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get constipated if they eat over 30-35g of Fiber a day? That can cause a good bit of stomach pain...
  • Hearts_2015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    The only thing eating too much fiber does to me is bind me up.
    I like to stick in the mid to high teens.

It helps me detox 2-3 times/day

If you added some in more slowly and drank plenty of liquids (aka water) that might help you out. 'mid to high teens' unless a doc prescribes that seems so very low for a male or even a female of good health otherwise. Well good health other than being overweight or underweight as the case may be while we're on MFP. :)

OK, thanks guys I've caught up reading and now the throwing up part doesn't sound like high fiber issues so much. Food poising might be the culprit ... wow does ever suck to have that.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    From the National Institutes of Health, fiber guidelines:
    nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002470.htmhttp://

And yes, too much fiber too soon after beginning to focus on it can cause some problems, but this article doesn't mention vomiting. Fiber needs also change with age, with older adults needing more.

Would you mind checking the link you shared? :) I get 'this page is no available' when I clicked on it. Or is it something we have to subscribe to? Thanks!
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    dblaacker wrote: »
    Does anyone else get constipated if they eat over 30-35g of Fiber a day? That can cause a good bit of stomach pain...

Are you getting in lots of water? Drinking plenty of water if you're upping your fiber...they go together. If you're adding extra fiber too quickly then you might have issues at 30-35g but otherwise if that's in your age range doesn't seem it should bother you. Unless of course you have other health issues?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    From the National Institutes of Health, fiber guidelines:
    nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002470.htmhttp://

And yes, too much fiber too soon after beginning to focus on it can cause some problems, but this article doesn't mention vomiting. Fiber needs also change with age, with older adults needing more.

Would you mind checking the link you shared? :) I get 'this page is no available' when I clicked on it. Or is it something we have to subscribe to? Thanks!

So it looks like there was an issue when they posted it. This looks to be the corrected link: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002470.htm Basically, you have to delete the extra http out :).
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options

Are you getting in lots of water? Drinking plenty of water if you're upping your fiber...they go together. If you're adding extra fiber too quickly then you might have issues at 30-35g but otherwise if that's in your age range doesn't seem it should bother you. Unless of course you have other health issues?

And dietary fat! At least for me, my "golden ratio" is 35-40g fiber, plenty of fluids (I go by the color of my urine--should be pale yellow or light "straw" color), and a minimum of 50g fat daily. Guaranteed regularity ;)
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Fiber makes me poop daily.... pooping daily makes me happy..... FIBER MAKES ME HAPPY
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

Well, I'm 52 and have hypothyroidism, so I need more because of those circumstances. I get 30-50 grams a day and am finally regular for the first time in my life.

Now, this will sound odd, but I was never regular until I became a vegetarian. I was ALWAYS chronically constipated. Correlation =/= causation and all that, I know, but meat and my insides stopped getting along.

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I did come across a reference to problems with uncoated Konjac root (soluble fiber) getting stuck in the esophagus. I think people should take care to drink enough water when consuming soluble fiber.

that's why I asked about the metamucil - most of those have a similar warning on the side
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

Well, I'm 52 and have hypothyroidism, so I need more because of those circumstances. I get 30-50 grams a day and am finally regular for the first time in my life.

Now, this will sound odd, but I was never regular until I became a vegetarian. I was ALWAYS chronically constipated. Correlation =/= causation and all that, I know, but meat and my insides stopped getting along.

I bet if you kept getting the same amount of fiber as you are now and added meat back into your diet that you'd still be regular.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
  • onelonelysocknoble
    onelonelysocknoble Posts: 27 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think most of us have issues with getting enough fibre and water....

I wouldn't say "most". There are quite a lot of people on MFP who rock it nutritionally speaking and fitness wise.

Apologies if I err'd, I was talking humanity in general rather than a select group of long term users who know what they're doing. A quick internet search will give sources explaining about how dietary fibre intake in developed countries around the world is falling short of recommendations.

As a relatively new user, and one of many, I find such sweeping statements about reducing fibre because it causes vomiting worrying, as there's a possibility someone might take it to heart.... don't you? Because right now I do feel like I'm being nit-picked for giving an opinion