Girls: Essentials for running?

Options
13»

Replies

• 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    My biggest thing is my pace, like you guys said. I don't know how to jog slower. I just feel awkward when I do. And it is kind of embarrassing because I walk in a high foot/car traffic area.

Should I drink water while I jog? When I walk, I usually walk for 4-5 miles and only sip on water. But I just don't know what to do with the bottle while I'm jogging. Just hold it? It can get surprisingly heavy so I end up having to switch hands constantly and I feel like I look weird carrying water while trying to jog.

I apologize if any of these questions are silly. I also apologize for typos. I'm on my phone.

That's a lot to type on your phone - kudos to you! Questions are cool, not silly. This is a great place to learn.
    Pace: running is a rhythm/cadence - if you feel uncomfortable running at a slower pace, then practice it - force yourself to slow down between this streetlamp and that one, for instance - pacing is an important part of running and if it doesn't come naturally to you (it's my best thing, which just means I'm consistent - doesn't mean I'm fast), then you may need to practice. Music might also help - I tend to click forward as I run until I find a song with the proper tempo and I run in beat with the song.
    Water: It depends on the length of your run. I hydrate constantly (that is key - not two cups an hour before - running is a commitment and proper hydration is part of the deal. With that in mind (I'm already well-hydrated when I leave the house), if I'm running more than six miles, I will take a small hand-held water bottle strapped into a Velcro thingy (so I don't have to actually hold anything). Or - if I'm lazy or stop at the store mid-run for a banana - I buy a mini water bottle and run with it. The back and forth holding the water bottle gets on my nerves, too. And if I buy it at the store, it's cold so there's condensation and it gets slippery.
    Anyway, best of luck as you sort it all out. If you love running, you may be in for a lifelong, life-changing experience. :)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Regarding water, I don't usually get thirsty during my runs, but I spend a lot of time and attention to hydrating before, which is far more important. Obviously, you might need water at different times than someone else, but for 4-5 miles, most your hydration should be taking place before. (I did 10 miles without water yesterday, just chews for sustenance, and lots of hydration before and after.)
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    (Oh, and your questions aren't silly... I think everyone here has asked them at some point.)
    The only time I have actually puked was coming into a warm house after a jog in the cold. I got too hot and puked. But I regularly feel sick to my stomach when jogging. Is it bad if I'm just feeling sick?

Only you can answer if it's truly bad (unbearable, for instance) and while it's definitely not abnormal, per se, it's certainly not desirable. Running gets things moving down there, if you know what I mean, so a lot of runners try really hard to, ahem, empty things before heading out on a run. That does wonders for upset stomach. I'll usually drink some black coffee about 45 minutes-1 hour before I'm planning on heading out and that helps me keep a happy stomach.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tat2cookie wrote: »
    Me feet and knees don't mind the fad because after I got a good pair of shoes made for running my pain went away. Was well worth the $$.

This a million times. After months of knee pain and hundreds of dollars and time spent with a physiotherapist, my chiropractor suggested perhaps I just need a new pair of shoes (physiotherapist said it was a knee injury that she needed to keep working on)... turns out, chiropractor was right. Three days after new running shoes, knee pain and swelling disappeared.

This doesn't necessitate the most expensive pair either. Go to a running store. Speak to someone who is knowledgeable. Get fitted properly.

Also, just to add, when I run outside, I use an SPI belt. I put my house keys, phone and a $20 bill just in case...I like it because it's small and doesn't flop around. I completely forget it's there.

Re: feeling sick - others are right, that is not normal. You may be overdoing it as others have stated, or perhaps it's what you're eating or drinking before. I cannot run after eating or else I feel sick... (not suggesting you run on an empty stomach - but just pay attention to those things too)...

ETA: sports bra - yes, you should get one (or a few). Go to Old Navy. They're cheap and they do the job.
  • mzfrizz15
    mzfrizz15 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Absolutely wear a sports bra. Depending on size/need, a plain ol' stretchy one could do just fine. As for shoes, invest in a GOOD pair. I finally forced myself to buy a high end pair of exercising shoes and I have not regretted it since that first work out. :)
  • Lisgetsfitter
    Lisgetsfitter Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Old navy and Ross stores have good deals on workout bras and other athletic gear. Good pair of shoes is a must but they don't have to be really expensive. When I try on shoes in the store I'll jog in place or walk around the whole store. I like Nike and saucony brand.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer shoving my phone into a SPIbelt over an arm band. You can find cheaper ones at FiveBelow, but I don't know if they're stretchy. It's easier to get it out to switch songs or change settings, since you can use both hands. Plus, I have fairly big arms and always a hard time finding armbands that are comfortable. And I won't get weird tan lines.

Speaking of tan lines, waterproof and sweatproof sunscreen is a good idea. You don't want it dripping into your eyes when you start sweating.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ^^ good call on sunscreen and (did someone say it?) Body glide or something similar ... run rashes can shut down a great run! (And can lead to a permanent rash scar at the bra line (below the girls).)
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    It's true that all you NEED for running is yourself. Yes people have been running for years without fancy equipment, clothes or shoes, but those things can make running a lot more comfortable and more likely to stick with.

For just starting out, like everyone else I'd suggest good shoes, sunscreen, and a good bra. As you run more and/or build up to longer distances, you'll find you may need body glide, snacks and hydration, a belt to hold your snacks and hydration, and clothes that minimize chafing. You may want to get a GPS watch or heart rate monitor. However you don't need those things now, and may decide you don't need them later.

When I ran a marathon 2 years ago I bought myself a pair of Lululemon crops. Most expensive pants I ever bought and I certainly couldn't afford to buy a pair now. Did I absolutely HAVE to have these pants for my marathon? No, but it sure did make the race a heck of a lot more comfortable, and I think they were a great investment.

It's also very easy to overlook sunscreen. Just starting out it may not be that noticeable but I notice...
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Re. running slowly, don't force yourself to move your legs slower, just make yourself put less effort into propelling yourself forward. Then you're going slower but you don't have to run weird to achieve it.
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I would consider proper fitting running shoes as essential. I had a stress fracture in my heel, which I (and the podiatrist) attribute to not having proper shoes. Do a google search for: running shoes <name of your city>. Beyond shoes, moisture wicking socks will help prevent blisters. Other moisture wicking clothing can increase your comfort, but this is a personal choice. Moisture wicking socks and clothing is usually cotton free, or very low amount of cotton. It wicks your perspiration away from your skin and allows it to evaporate, thus increasing your comfort. Years ago, you had to pay a premium price for high brand performance athletic clothing, now days you can find very reasonable priced performance clothing at Walmart, Target or similar stores.
    As for slowing your pace, I have found if I concentrate on slowing my arm swing, my legs follow.
  • kewierschke2
    kewierschke2 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I wear a 38D and found sports bras made to fit specified sizes. So mines a 38D sports bra for intense workouts, they also had for light and moderate intensities. I love it, it's super comfortable and adjustable like a normal bra. I would say one of the most comfortable bras I've ever owned in my life.

As far as anything else, I cannot say for sure I'm new to running as well and on my second week of the c25k. I just bought cheaper running shoes for now but if I find I'm enjoying it once I finish the 5k edition of it, I will go and buy ones more correct for my feet before starting the 10k edition.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    carrying water--the answer is a belt that holds your water bottle-and maybe a snack too! Available at running stores, sport stores and REI (US) and MEC (canada)

So I was running my forst 1/2 marathon. I wasn't planning on carrying water, just using the water stations. It was unseasonably hot. So hot that I stuck a bottle of water in my shorts pocket. I replaced it for another full bottle at the 1/2 way point.

lesson learned After that water holder came to races.

• kelseydlange
    Options
    I started a C25K program a month and a half ago, and I've been using the free one that comes with the RunKeeper app. It's awesome! Just carry your phone with you in a Spibelt or even in your hand like I do. It'll track you by gps and upload your runs to your profile so you can see all of the stats for each run. You can listen to music at the same time and it gives you audio cues for different stuff. The training is varied and gives you a rest day in between each one, but you can do it more often if you feel up to it. Also, bluetooth headphones are a MUST. I haaaated running because of my earbuds falling out all the time but mine stay in even on fast runs, AND I can listen to my music AND I know when to switch intervals, etc. I highly recommend it. Here are the headphones I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LP6CFEC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I regularly run 8-10km every Sunday and a bunch of shorter distances through the week. I am starting to train for 1/2 marathon distance.

My essentials are good pair of running shoes with running socks (I have issues with blisters, and shin splints if I don't) and a running shirt. Currently running in a t shirt and will be starting to wear tank tops soon. I get very warm when running and that makes me uncomfortable. I start out chilly and cold but it doesn't take long to warm up.

The main thing is to start out slow. You aren't sprinting you are trying to cover a distance. You should be able to comfortably have a conversation while running. If you cant do that you are going to fast. I got the trick for running slower by doing trail runs (in the mountains). Starting out you simply cannot run fast up a mountain. Whenever I would start running I would run too fast and get injured, trail running helped me figure out my pace.

I also like to wear capris, or long shorts while running since my thighs would chafe if I didn't. Bodyglide can also be your friend. I also chafed under my arms today. First time for that.

I don't carry water with me. I will start worrying about that when I start running for over 2 hours.

Sometimes it is also very important to have a washroom available half way through a run (5km or greater)

ETA: I also cannot stress the importance of stretching after a run. Calves, hip flexors, IT band, hamstrings. You should learn to love to foam roll.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I completed the C25K the summer before last. I still use the app when I run two times a week because I am limited on time so 40 minutes (that includes the warm up and cool down) is about it in the morning. Like everyone else said good shoes and running socks are good things to get. I would be miserable without my hat too. I am a head sweater so it helps keep the sweat from my eyes. I also always have my MapMyRun app on. I like knowing if I am increasing speed.

I run pushing one of my kids in a stroller so I always have a water bottle. For a 30 run you may be able to do without. I live in TX so even in the mornings during the summer it can get pretty hot and I drink more during that time of year.
  • arussell134
    arussell134 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Since you're just starting out, I'd steer you to less versus more. Shoes? are a must. I also think having a couple sports bras is important (this may depend on how chesty you are though!).

If you end up falling in love with running (which is very likely, because what's not to love?) you can build from there. A bit about me... I run between 20-30 miles per week and do a combination of shorter and longer distance races. Here are some things I have & love that I'd consider fun optionals (note - optional!):

1) Garmin GPS watch. This thing has made running soooo much more fun for me. It tracks my pace, distance, calories, and personal bests. I love it for long run days as well as timing my intervals.
    2) Training Journal. I love tracking my progress and workouts. I started by just printing out a monthly calendar and taping it to my fridge, but recently spent $20 and bought a really nice running journal where I could define my goals.
    3) Compression socks. I love running in these for my long or hard runs, or immediately after a long run.
    4) Running belt. I found a cheap running belt on Amazon that's PERFECT for running with my phone and energy gels for longer runs.
    5) Cute running clothes. I'm vain, I know, but I love me some cute flashy running leggings or top! If you feel good, you run good! :)

No matter what - focus on the shoes. If you fall in love with racing, like anything, you can add onto your gear/clothing/etc bit by bit. ;)