1. Kipping pull ups
2. Ring dips
3. Battle Ropes

read more here.

Replies

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Awesome that the article says the opposite. However, even the article is *kitten* since it doesn't link to a study actually validating any of its' claims.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    In talking with a few PTs and Chiros I know, they love those three exercises for the increase in business they've generated.

Far and away, they'd like more people to do kipping pull ups. Apparently form being popularly taught is so horrid that there's a lot of need for corrective therapy.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Just for you DB, cause I know you can take it :laugh:
    stir-the-pot-dance.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    200_s.gif
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    The three absolute best exercises for your shoulders:
    1. Kipping pull ups
    2. Ring dips
    3. Battle Ropes

read more here.

Uhm, did you read the article?
  • dbmata
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    1. Kipping pull ups
    2. Ring dips
    3. Battle Ropes

read more here.

the real point is that you did.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    1. Kipping pull ups
    2. Ring dips
    3. Battle Ropes

read more here.

the real point is that you did.

:smiley:
    Although I am pretty sure I was not planning to do these exercises, I am a very traditional person when it comes to strength training
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    200_s.gif

fbl4bhw3l3ir.jpg
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Awesome that the article says the opposite. However, even the article is *kitten* since it doesn't link to a study actually validating any of its' claims.

This is a bad attitude to have. There is a lot of bs concluded from studies and a lot of valuable lessons to be learned from meatheads with no education and a lot of years under a barbell.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

This is a bad attitude to have. There is a lot of bs concluded from studies and a lot of valuable lessons to be learned from meatheads with no education and a lot of years under a barbell.

This^

most of these "studies" turn out to be conducted on 6 elderly gentlemen. Or the effectiveness of training on people who turn out never to lifted before (clue: anything will work on beginners).

Go out. Do some training. See how you react to it. Adjust as necessary.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    came in here to say wide grip over head press.

realize I've been had.

• foursirius
    Options

This is a great attitude to have. Asking to see a linked study to backup claims is more than reasonable. At that point i can read the study and make my own decisions. The health and fitness industry is overlaoded with crap with no basis behind it. You keep believing claims that come out with no evidence and I'll keep questioning what I'm reading.
  • JoRocka
    Options

This is a great attitude to have. Asking to see a linked study to backup claims is more than reasonable. At that point i can read the study and make my own decisions. The health and fitness industry is overlaoded with crap with no basis behind it. You keep believing claims that come out with no evidence and I'll keep questioning what I'm reading.

you do realize science is literally YEARS behind the proven work of hundreds of lifters right?

I'm not saying listen to ever piece of broscience out there- but just be aware... science is woefully behind on this subject.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Can we add cuban press to that?
    When I showed it to my PT and the other PT there that day, they both cringed but did say itd increase their business.

my new physical therapist and another one there have said crossfit has increased their business a bit. (Not saying crossfit overall is bad btw)
  • foursirius
    Options
    Im not argu
    herrspoons wrote: »

The problem is that these exercises are relatively new to the general population, having been driven by the explosion in crossfit and MMA style training over the past few years. As such there aren't a lot of studies because it's difficult to assess long term damage over such a relatively short period of time. In time there will be studies supporting these assertions. Unfortunately, that's 5-10 years away.

However, as I've mentioned, every physio and sports scientist that I've met is of the opinion these exercises are mechanically unsound. It's up to you if you want to destroy your shoulders waiting for evidence that proves them right.

Im not arguing that they aren't bad exercises im saying that an article stating something as fact with no evidence is my issue. If that's an opiniom thats cool but just make sure it's represented in that way.

To the other person saying that science is behind broscience of course it is. The point is that you have to validate a claim which takes time, but that's the inherent value behind it.

Im a standard 5x5 lifting kind of guy so I'm not really one to try these odd exercises nor claim their greatness, but do like to see evidence to backup claims.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    If I want to know about Muon particle decay, I'll read a paper on it.

If I want to know about training, a paper is the last thing I'll read.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    If I want to know about Muon particle decay, I'll read a paper on it.

If I want to know about training, a paper is the last thing I'll read.

Can you send me that muon paper? =]
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Im not argu

The problem is that these exercises are relatively new to the general population, having been driven by the explosion in crossfit and MMA style training over the past few years. As such there aren't a lot of studies because it's difficult to assess long term damage over such a relatively short period of time. In time there will be studies supporting these assertions. Unfortunately, that's 5-10 years away.

However, as I've mentioned, every physio and sports scientist that I've met is of the opinion these exercises are mechanically unsound. It's up to you if you want to destroy your shoulders waiting for evidence that proves them right.

Im not arguing that they aren't bad exercises im saying that an article stating something as fact with no evidence is my issue. If that's an opiniom thats cool but just make sure it's represented in that way.

To the other person saying that science is behind broscience of course it is. The point is that you have to validate a claim which takes time, but that's the inherent value behind it.

Im a standard 5x5 lifting kind of guy so I'm not really one to try these odd exercises nor claim their greatness, but do like to see evidence to backup claims.

Because the generations of lifters since Reg Park have shown 5x5 to be effective. Not because a scientific paper said it was.

Modern 5x5's derive from Bill Starr's observation that 4-6 sets of 4-6 sets seem to be the sweet spot between strength and size. He thought 5x5 just made it simpler and easier to follow...
  • JoRocka
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Im not argu

Because the generations of lifters since Reg Park have shown 5x5 to be effective. Not because a scientific paper said it was.

Modern 5x5's derive from Bill Starr's observation that 4-6 sets of 4-6 sets seem to be the sweet spot between strength and size. He thought 5x5 just made it simpler and easier to follow...

cosign
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    i never understood kipping pull ups..it just looks like a way to cheat a regular pull up??

anyway my top three would be..

barbell overhead press
    pullup (body weight/or weighted)
    arnold press/dumbbell lateral raise..

technically that is four but I did not want to leave off lat raises….