The 3 BEST exercises for your shoulders

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Can we add cuban press to that?
    When I showed it to my PT and the other PT there that day, they both cringed but did say itd increase their business.

my new physical therapist and another one there have said crossfit has increased their business a bit. (Not saying crossfit overall is bad btw)

cuban press is not a sandwich…..?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    foursirius wrote: »
    Im not argu
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Lofteren wrote: »
    Awesome that the article says the opposite. However, even the article is *kitten* since it doesn't link to a study actually validating any of its' claims.

This is a bad attitude to have. There is a lot of bs concluded from studies and a lot of valuable lessons to be learned from meatheads with no education and a lot of years under a barbell.

This is a great attitude to have. Asking to see a linked study to backup claims is more than reasonable. At that point i can read the study and make my own decisions. The health and fitness industry is overlaoded with crap with no basis behind it. You keep believing claims that come out with no evidence and I'll keep questioning what I'm reading.

The problem is that these exercises are relatively new to the general population, having been driven by the explosion in crossfit and MMA style training over the past few years. As such there aren't a lot of studies because it's difficult to assess long term damage over such a relatively short period of time. In time there will be studies supporting these assertions. Unfortunately, that's 5-10 years away.

However, as I've mentioned, every physio and sports scientist that I've met is of the opinion these exercises are mechanically unsound. It's up to you if you want to destroy your shoulders waiting for evidence that proves them right.

Im not arguing that they aren't bad exercises im saying that an article stating something as fact with no evidence is my issue. If that's an opiniom thats cool but just make sure it's represented in that way.

To the other person saying that science is behind broscience of course it is. The point is that you have to validate a claim which takes time, but that's the inherent value behind it.

Im a standard 5x5 lifting kind of guy so I'm not really one to try these odd exercises nor claim their greatness, but do like to see evidence to backup claims.

if you think there is any benefit to kipping pull-ups then I would love to hear your breakdown of how they are better than a strand pull up…..
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    oh I love arnold presses- seriously- they make me happy.

I'd also add to the list- monkey push ups (a mod) or handstand push ups- seriously- dem some killers.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

I'd also add to the list- monkey push ups (a mod) or handstand push ups- seriously- dem some killers.

monkey push ups???? I got to look into that …

barbell front raises are good too ….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have pretty bad shoulders (multiple AC dislocations, a full dislocation, and a couple of subluxation dislocations from rugby and cycling), so I need to be careful what I do. Generally, behind the neck pressing is a bad idea for me, as are dips, upright rows, and wide grip pull ups. Thankfully overhead pressing and chins are still OK.

man, if you could not overhead press that would totally suck …

i hear you on having to be careful ...
  • niick_at_niight
    Options
    There is no over head press and lateral raises....you put kipping pull ups and I didn't take your information as credible....
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I have pretty bad shoulders (multiple AC dislocations, a full dislocation, and a couple of subluxation dislocations from rugby and cycling), so I need to be careful what I do. Generally, behind the neck pressing is a bad idea for me, as are dips, upright rows, and wide grip pull ups. Thankfully overhead pressing and chins are still OK.

Yeah. That would be rubbish. I like barbell overhead pressing - it's one of those exercise where the first few reps are pretty easy and then... BANG! Total grind.

I have a similarly effed up right shoulder, but overhead work is one of the things that has actually made it better.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

monkey push ups???? I got to look into that …

barbell front raises are good too ….

it's essentially a mid step between push ups- and handstand- allows you to work your way back up to a more vertical position- I'm not sure if that's it's real name- that's just how I origainly learned it and it's stuck.

If you google Zuzuka Monkey Push up- it's the first really dirty inappropriate inverted push up that comes up.

You work from there- up to putting your feet on a raised platform to do pike push ups.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah. That would be rubbish. I like barbell overhead pressing - it's one of those exercise where the first few reps are pretty easy and then... BANG! Total grind.

ha! I know what you mean ….I do mine as part of my heavy 4x5 routine..and the first two to three I am like "oh yea, I go this" and then the last two I am struggling to get in …

great exercise but it will make you it's b**ch quick….
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Im not argu
    Awesome that the article says the opposite. However, even the article is *kitten* since it doesn't link to a study actually validating any of its' claims.

This is a bad attitude to have. There is a lot of bs concluded from studies and a lot of valuable lessons to be learned from meatheads with no education and a lot of years under a barbell.

This is a great attitude to have. Asking to see a linked study to backup claims is more than reasonable. At that point i can read the study and make my own decisions. The health and fitness industry is overlaoded with crap with no basis behind it. You keep believing claims that come out with no evidence and I'll keep questioning what I'm reading.

The problem is that these exercises are relatively new to the general population, having been driven by the explosion in crossfit and MMA style training over the past few years. As such there aren't a lot of studies because it's difficult to assess long term damage over such a relatively short period of time. In time there will be studies supporting these assertions. Unfortunately, that's 5-10 years away.

However, as I've mentioned, every physio and sports scientist that I've met is of the opinion these exercises are mechanically unsound. It's up to you if you want to destroy your shoulders waiting for evidence that proves them right.

Im not arguing that they aren't bad exercises im saying that an article stating something as fact with no evidence is my issue. If that's an opiniom thats cool but just make sure it's represented in that way.

To the other person saying that science is behind broscience of course it is. The point is that you have to validate a claim which takes time, but that's the inherent value behind it.

Im a standard 5x5 lifting kind of guy so I'm not really one to try these odd exercises nor claim their greatness, but do like to see evidence to backup claims.

if you think there is any benefit to kipping pull-ups then I would love to hear your breakdown of how they are better than a strand pull up…..

I can not nor do I think they have any advantages over a standard pull up. I don't do them.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    There is no over head press and lateral raises....you put kipping pull ups and I didn't take your information as credible....

Did you read the article
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im not argu

I can not nor do I think they have any advantages over a standard pull up. I don't do them.

just curious if you had an explanation …

because no one has ever been able to tell me what it is..

it just seems like a way to cheat and get in a lot of pull-ups…but I could be wrong...
  • ndj1979
    Options

ha! I know what you mean ….I do mine as part of my heavy 4x5 routine..and the first two to three I am like "oh yea, I go this" and then the last two I am struggling to get in …

Yeah. It's the only exercise I do that goes from comfortable to holy **** in the space of one rep. With the others you get a warning as it gets progressively harder. With OHP? Eh... not so much.

true…OHP goes from good to *kitten* in about one rep …

i should make a tee shirt….
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

If you're waiting for a study to validate claims of exercise effectiveness, you're going to be waiting a very long time.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

Yeah. It's the only exercise I do that goes from comfortable to holy **** in the space of one rep. With the others you get a warning as it gets progressively harder. With OHP? Eh... not so much.

Ha ha, I always thought this was just me and my dodgy shoulder...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »

Ha ha, I always thought this was just me and my dodgy shoulder...

I hear you …I thought the same and then I asked a few people on m friend list and they are like nope that happens to me too …

• foursirius
    Options
    Im not argu

it just seems like a way to cheat and get in a lot of pull-ups…but I could be wrong...

I guess if you did gymnastics that's a movement that is seen on bars so there might be some crossover in just similiar body movements. It also probably hits your core more than a standard pullup. Really i think its to cheat and get higher numbers but that's just my opinion.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Im not argu

I guess if you did gymnastics that's a movement that is seen on bars so there might be some crossover in just similiar body movements. It also probably hits your core more than a standard pullup. Really i think its to cheat and get higher numbers but that's just my opinion.

i tend to agree with the way to get more reps in …but that is my opinion as well …

• foursirius
    Options
    eric_sg61 wrote: »

If you're waiting for a study to validate claims of exercise effectiveness, you're going to be waiting a very long time.

There are studies upon studies of the effectiveness of exercises. Especially your main big exercises like a squat. What you tend to see less of are the more obscure exercises. im not sure if one has been done on kipping pullups or not yet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

Except of course you're limiting your body of knowledge to be strictly about what works on juiced russians, and geriatrics.

Which one of those two populations are you? Neither, well, best of luck.