Nutella: Healthy or Not?

Options
This is a great article discussing the pros and cons of Nutella by looking at its ingredients. Labeling foods as good or bad may be a false dichotomy but consider her conclusion:

"The bottom line: Why try to make out something is healthy when it’s not? And clearly not, when you look at the true list of Nutella ingredients. Just accept Nutella for the chocolatey treat it is! Have it on toast, croissant or crepes. It’s a good case of clever marketing that highlights the few positives — and says nothing about the bad things."

Here's the link: http://foodwatch.com.au/blog/additives-and-labels/item/nutella-the-full-correct-list-of-ingredients.html

Replies

• softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I don't think Nutella is "healthy", but it is yummy!
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I'm from Europe and I've literally grown up with Nutella....not only in age unfortunately...in weight too.... it has a lot of sugar and not too many nutrients....but jeez it's way to tasty and addictive.... still now... sometimes I just eat a tablespoon of nutella before going to sleep...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I wasn't aware that anyone actually thought of Nutella as a "health food."
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I eat small amounts of Nutella on water crackers as one of my main before-bed snacks. But then, I refuse to label food and "healthy" or "not healthy, good or bad, so I have no problem enjoying whatever Nutella (or wine, ice cream, etc.) that fits into a food plan that also includes lean meat, veg, fruit, dairy. And for whatever it's worth, my emotional health is positively affected by carefully selected treats.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It's pretty much a sugar bomb, with some character.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

This.

But it's sooooooooo delicious... Better yet is a spoonful of peanut butter topped with a spoonful of Nutella.....
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

This.

But it's sooooooooo delicious... Better yet is a spoonful of peanut butter topped with a spoonful of Nutella.....

We had some Nutella for pancake day the other week, and I had it with peanut butter on a rice cake. Yum. It's the one food I can't have in the house because I will just eat and eat it!

I doubt anyone thinks it's 'healthy'.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Same. I don't think I've ever seen it referred to as "healthy."

It is however yummy and slightly addicting. I won't keep a jar in the house, but if I ever really want some I go to the store and grab one of those Nutella to Go things. Prevents me from over indulging in it. In the house it is just way to tempting.
  • crys_todd
    crys_todd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    When I was a child Ferrero Rocher were my favorite candy (still are) but I only got them on special occasions because they are fairly expensive for candy.
    When I was 21 my roommate bought a jar of Nutella and I tried it for the first time in my life. It was like the heavens had parted and unicorns and rainbows showered down on me. It was a jar of the deliciousness inside a Fererro Rocher! My mind was completely blown.

At not point in time was I ever under the delusion that a jar of candy center was at any point a health food though.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    She's right about it being high in sugar and palm oil, but Nutella isn't really made to be eaten out of the jar. Okay, I know some people do, and that's why I never have it in the house, but it really could be a lot worse. Plus, you're supposed to use it as a spread. It isn't a chocolate pudding. I think Nutella is seen as a delicious indulgence, not a food group.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Same. I don't think I've ever seen it referred to as "healthy."

It is however yummy and slightly addicting. I won't keep a jar in the house, but if I ever really want some I go to the store and grab one of those Nutella to Go things. Prevents me from over indulging in it. In the house it is just way to tempting.

I get the 30g single servings, enough to slather on a slice of toast!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are not supposed to eat it with a spoon from the jar.....hmmm....whoops!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Oh, you are not supposed to eat it with a spoon from the jar.....hmmm....whoops!

Wait, then I have been doing it wrong for years. Shucks.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    crys_todd wrote: »
    When I was a child Ferrero Rocher were my favorite candy (still are) but I only got them on special occasions because they are fairly expensive for candy.
    When I was 21 my roommate bought a jar of Nutella and I tried it for the first time in my life. It was like the heavens had parted and unicorns and rainbows showered down on me. It was a jar of the deliciousness inside a Fererro Rocher! My mind was completely blown.

My 1st experience with Nutella was so similar. I was like "Ferrero Rocher filling in a jar! omg!"

I like Nutella plain, right from the jar. Or in a Ferrero Rocher. I've tried it on bread/toast but I'd just rather eat it right off of a spoon.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Don't care. I love candy too. Typically I only use it on crepes, and usually a third of a serving or so. So good. I have some hazelnut butter too, and it was totally mediocre on crepes, but it's delicious on waffles, so that's what I use on those... but nothing compares to Nutella on crepes.

I grew up with Nutella also, coming from France, so that's probably why it's relatively easy for me to practice moderation with it.
  • alealessia_13
    Options
    Grown up in Italy where Nutella originally comes from. Used to eat this breakfast: bread+butter+nutella EVERY SINGLE DAY for years!!! It was sooo yummy but as I grown up I stopped eating any chocolate for six months, after six months I had the need to eat somsthing very sweet so I was so happy on trying nutella again but suddenly when I put it in my mouth I felt so much sugar and I couldn't eat it anymore. Now I cannot even look at it thinking of how much 'healthy' nutella is. LoL
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    According to the commercials Nutella will save your family life and your soul.
  • palwithme
    palwithme Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Grown up in Italy where Nutella originally comes from. Used to eat this breakfast: bread+butter+nutella EVERY SINGLE DAY for years!!! It was sooo yummy but as I grown up I stopped eating any chocolate for six months, after six months I had the need to eat somsthing very sweet so I was so happy on trying nutella again but suddenly when I put it in my mouth I felt so much sugar and I couldn't eat it anymore. Now I cannot even look at it thinking of how much 'healthy' nutella is. LoL

Is it just me or is European Nutella 1000 times better than the American version?
  • Bailey_432
    Bailey_432 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh nutella, my true love! <3 Seriously though, a jar of nutella, a spoon, a glass of milk, and I'm good to go! :blush:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    palwithme wrote: »

Is it just me or is European Nutella 1000 times better than the American version?

I didn't notice any difference when I tried it here.