How much should I both burn and consume per day - cant get my head around it, can someone help?

2»

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    it depends on your weight, how strenuous you work out. im just over 17st and can burn that easily in 25 minutes of running on the treadmill.

I'm 140lbs and would have to bust my gut to burn that much in 30 minutes.

Yeah, pretty much - I can do it (141 lbs), but it means pulling out all the stops with resistance and intervals and leaving with a purple face
  • TomJClements
    TomJClements Posts: 14 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'm new to this too, but as I understand it, the key is in the deficit between calories in and calories out - that's the 1000 a day that you're talking about. If your BMR is 1925 then you're already running at a deficit of 425 cals by only eating to 1500, so the cardio burn only needs to be 675 in order to meet your 1000 a day target. As @malibu927‌ says, MFP does the calcs for you, so as long as you're (accurately!) logging food and cals burned through exercise it'll give you a pretty good guide. Also, I'd recommend getting a Fitbit or similar as it really helps to keep a track of what you're burning - it's surprising how many cals you use just going about daily tasks, and they all count towards your deficit too. Good luck!

Ahh thats very clear - thanks!

I'm still getting to grips with MFP as I've only just started doing proper workouts - prior to that I was mainly just cutting down on food/re-balancing diet.

I tried adjusting the goals on MFP to 2 hours workout 7 days a week and 2lbs to lose pw and it went down to only allowing me 1270cal per day - thats less than without exercise for the the same target!? Don't get that at all.

Your daily calorie targets do not factor in the exercise goals. MFP only considers the exercise when you've done it and logged it. If you meet your weekly goal, nothing stopping you from patting yourself on the back, though. I'll even eat a cookie for you if you notify me

If you're setting your account to 2 lb per week, you are doing the opposite of what you were advised to do earlier, hence why your calorie target went down. If you want more food, exercise and log it

If you prefer not to chase a moving target as far as your daily calorie intake, say so and somebody will give you more info about "TDEE" method :)

Yeahh but if MFP goes up to 2lb per week I dont see why thats bad if thats an option on here - also having very little else to do, Id rather spend a longer time in the gym?

What is TDEE method? I kinda like to have a target thats set in stone and then review it from time to time. I have adhd and depression and anxiety and if I dont have a rigidly written set of plans I literally dont do anything with my life or i forget things or they seem too much effort to have to think about again.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I'm new to this too, but as I understand it, the key is in the deficit between calories in and calories out - that's the 1000 a day that you're talking about. If your BMR is 1925 then you're already running at a deficit of 425 cals by only eating to 1500, so the cardio burn only needs to be 675 in order to meet your 1000 a day target. As @malibu927‌ says, MFP does the calcs for you, so as long as you're (accurately!) logging food and cals burned through exercise it'll give you a pretty good guide. Also, I'd recommend getting a Fitbit or similar as it really helps to keep a track of what you're burning - it's surprising how many cals you use just going about daily tasks, and they all count towards your deficit too. Good luck!

Ahh thats very clear - thanks!

I'm still getting to grips with MFP as I've only just started doing proper workouts - prior to that I was mainly just cutting down on food/re-balancing diet.

I tried adjusting the goals on MFP to 2 hours workout 7 days a week and 2lbs to lose pw and it went down to only allowing me 1270cal per day - thats less than without exercise for the the same target!? Don't get that at all.

Your daily calorie targets do not factor in the exercise goals. MFP only considers the exercise when you've done it and logged it. If you meet your weekly goal, nothing stopping you from patting yourself on the back, though. I'll even eat a cookie for you if you notify me

If you're setting your account to 2 lb per week, you are doing the opposite of what you were advised to do earlier, hence why your calorie target went down. If you want more food, exercise and log it

If you prefer not to chase a moving target as far as your daily calorie intake, say so and somebody will give you more info about "TDEE" method :)

Yeahh but if MFP goes up to 2lb per week I dont see why thats bad if thats an option on here - also having very little else to do, Id rather spend a longer time in the gym?

What is TDEE method? I kinda like to have a target thats set in stone and then review it from time to time. I have adhd and depression and anxiety and if I dont have a rigidly written set of plans I literally dont do anything with my life or i forget things or they seem too much effort to have to think about again.

To put it simply, pick a number and eat that and see how you like it. In about 3-4 weeks you can re-assess to go higher or lower by a few hundred calories. There's no counting or logging of exercise calories, as this is already included in your target total. The website linked below may help you select that number:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

You'll have to manually input this number in your account as your daily target. You should know that MFP automatically recalculates your new target every ten pounds if you're following their recommendations, so if you use a custom number, you'll have to do this reduction yourself as time goes on and I'm assuming you get smaller

Exercise as much as you're willing and able. Just take note if you start to be too fatigued or if you're coming close to injury
  • TomJClements
    TomJClements Posts: 14 Member
    I'm new to this too, but as I understand it, the key is in the deficit between calories in and calories out - that's the 1000 a day that you're talking about. If your BMR is 1925 then you're already running at a deficit of 425 cals by only eating to 1500, so the cardio burn only needs to be 675 in order to meet your 1000 a day target.

Ok on a second thought, Im still confused -

If my BMR is 1925, isnt that the basic amount needed to function? So if I was eating to 1500 and doing 675 wouldnt that take me to 925cal per day? Isn't that dangerously low?

I've run through a couple of BMR calculators and it says if my BMR is 1925 then I need 3326cal per day to maintain weight - so shouldnt my daily intake be somewhere between 3326 and 1925???

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    I'm new to this too, but as I understand it, the key is in the deficit between calories in and calories out - that's the 1000 a day that you're talking about. If your BMR is 1925 then you're already running at a deficit of 425 cals by only eating to 1500, so the cardio burn only needs to be 675 in order to meet your 1000 a day target.

Ok on a second thought, Im still confused -

If my BMR is 1925, isnt that the basic amount needed to function? So if I was eating to 1500 and doing 675 wouldnt that take me to 925cal per day? Isn't that dangerously low?

I've run through a couple of BMR calculators and it says if my BMR is 1925 then I need 3326cal per day to maintain weight - so shouldnt my daily intake be somewhere between 3326 and 1925???

Unfortunately, LittleJem is incorrect. You are to deduct your target deficit from your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE). This is all the calories you burn throughout the day, BMR, intentional exercise, your day in day out activity level, etc. Eat less calories than you burn or less than your TDEE to lose weight. So yes, your target would likely be in that range you described. I dunno, something like 2300 calories per day or some such