ABS: How many crunches do you do a day?

Options

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    But I do a lot of hanging leg raises, levers, L-sits, flags. Then throw in all the exercises i do that indirectly hit my core and I am good w/o ever needing to do a crunch.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    No crunches, but I've done the luge mini game on the Wii Fit when I visit my BF. There's and ab killer!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Zero. None. Nada. Never. And I've lost a 5 inches in my waist, got some abs poking through very nicely after my 25lb loss.

Not to say crunches suck, but they do for me. I despise them; they are torture on my spine. If you like them, do 'em, but as part of a total exercise and fat loss plan.
  • foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do a bit every single workout like 100 or so. However, I'm actively hitting my core more since I've had abdominal surgery that just wrecked my ab strength. My standard workout does contain primarily compound lifts as well, which helps.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    zero

compound lifts
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Zero. When I do "strength" workouts, I do ~50 sit-ups and 50 push-ups as well as 50 body weight squats and 50 lunges. More for core strength and general stability to aid my running than for any desire for kickass abs.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Zero.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Maybe 20 a week, but I get abs cramps every single time... so I'd rather work them another way.
  • sugarnspice33
    sugarnspice33 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    babason2 wrote: »
    You're already doing more than enough crunches and planks. You need to focus on losing fat. More overall strength or cardio training whichever is your preference.

Thanks for your input. I'm going to up the cardio and not worry about the scale.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Zero. RKC planks or GTFO.
  • Jesusjohnjames
    Jesusjohnjames Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Wow, Ill cut back and do something else I guess. I dont want to wreck my spine.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Zero here. Heavy compound lifts, RKC planks, ab roll outs.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I have about one day where I do thirty minutes of weighted abs, russian twists, etc..but that is it…

100 crunches a day is unnecessary and a waste of time …

like others said..compound movements and calorie deficit will get you abs...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I do believe in doing some direct core work, but really it's fairly minimal relative to my overall lifting routine. I'm an Oly lifter so all of those lifts work my core and most of my assistance work does too....but provided I have some time at the end of a workout I will do a little direct work. I don't do much in the way of crunches though...much bette stuff out there.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I prefer Peanut Butter crunch....pbcrunch.jpg
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm doing 100 crunches a day. 2 Planks
    I will be increasing to 300 a day, with more Planks.

why do you want your stomach to get bigger??

You won't get abs if you just do crunches but if you lose weight but don't do crunches you won't get them either. You have to do both.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    cliffodom1 wrote: »

You won't get abs if you just do crunches but if you lose weight but don't do crunches you won't get them either. You have to do both.

False. You don't have to do crunches to get abs. Just look at all the posters in this thread with abs who don't do crunches.

<---Female. Abs. Zero crunches.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

hey, read this: http://tnation.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/sexy_female_training;jsessionid=21FD5106BA151DC42A3C48C90055326D-mcd02.hydra
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

False. You don't have to do crunches to get abs. Just look at all the posters in this thread with abs who don't do crunches.

<---Female. Abs. Zero crunches.

i've never done a crunch either.