ABS: How many crunches do you do a day?

Options

Replies

• brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Do squats and deadlifts, lose the fat by eating at deficit, and you'll have abs. Crunches will not get you there.

meh, i still think you should focus specifically on your abs.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    <--- I did 0 crunches and 0 planks to get these abs.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I does hanging leg raises- and plank stuff- there are "other" ab things I do- but yeah- unless I'm in dance class and my teacher says this is what we are doing- I never do them.
  • monikker
    monikker Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    What about sit-ups lol? Why does the military make you do sit-ups if they're a waste of time?
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    monikker wrote: »
    What about sit-ups lol? Why does the military make you do sit-ups if they're a waste of time?

the military makes personnel do sit ups for athletic testing. there are many more ab work outs that they do, such as flutter kicks, hello dolly's, etc.

also, the service men and women are shown how to do sit ups properly, from the hip flexors using abdominal strength, not curling of the neck.

it is not done to give the soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines a six pack abs.
  • JCave21
    JCave21 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    The only time I do crunches/sit-ups are when I do fitness tests at work, but I rarely do them in my workouts
  • GPHX_GEEK
    GPHX_GEEK Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    A day? Zero. I don't focus so much on repetitive, monotonous exercises. I usually do weekly "circuits" and work my entire body. So I do end up doing some isolated core exercises but they are usually mixed into a HIIT routine or maybe with some kick-boxing or even strength training.
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    Do squats and deadlifts, lose the fat by eating at deficit, and you'll have abs. Crunches will not get you there.

That's false. You lose the weight by eating at a deficit. You lose that fat my cardio or high intensity workout. There's a big difference between fat loss and weight loss.
  • jtabiolo
    edited March 2015
    Options
    7idavh1fa1jf.jpg

I don't always do ab workouts but when I do, I do weighted ab workouts. Absolutely no crunches or sit ups.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »

That's false. You lose the weight by eating at a deficit. You lose that fat my cardio or high intensity workout. There's a big difference between fat loss and weight loss.

Man, you haven't even made it to 25 posts and you're already completely wrong. Cardio and HIIT is not needed at all. Not even one second of it. Please do not spread misinformation, it helps no one.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Because it's a regimen for discipline. Situps hit more of the hip flexors than the abs anyway.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options

You lose fat by also being in calorie deficit. Explain how one can lose fat while eating in a calorie surplus. One burns more fat sleeping for 8 hours versus 1 hour of intense exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • jtabiolo
    Options
    @ninerbuff‌ When losing weight, the way to lose just fat is by adding strength training into your fitness program. You just can't try to lose weight simply by performing cardio. The pounds you lose through cardio will come right back if you stop the cardio, without muscle mass to keep the weight off. When you add muscle, you improve the body fat composition ratio, which is the main goal. You shouldn't just be concerned with a smaller number on the scale. Your a "fitness trainer" out of all people you should know that. When you just do cardio, you lose a little bit of fat, muscle tissue, etc.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Dude... why is your mirror in your kitchen?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do quite a lot of direct ab and core accessory work as I have a damaged back and the stronger my core the better my back condition is. But OP please mix it up rather than just ramp up the numbers of one exercise.
    Bent knee sit ups, hanging leg raises, cable ab crunch, single dumbbell side bends to name a few.

I also do fairly high reps as I need strength endurance for my cycling.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

also keep in mind- changing things in the military takes an act of congress- it's exhausting.

They use archaic methods for lots of things- that doesn't mean it's a gold standard for anything- they are way behind on this sort of thing.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    @ninerbuff‌ When losing weight, the way to lose just fat is by adding strength training into your fitness program. You just can't try to lose weight simply by performing cardio. The pounds you lose through cardio will come right back if you stop the cardio, without muscle mass to keep the weight off. When you add muscle, you improve the body fat composition ratio, which is the main goal. You shouldn't just be concerned with a smaller number on the scale. Your a "fitness trainer" out of all people you should know that. When you just do cardio, you lose a little bit of fat, muscle tissue, etc.

at the end of the day you have to be in a deficit..

you can't out lift or out run a calorie surplus….
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Doing different types of crunches,
    Cable crunches, Cradle crunches, side crunches
    Daily up to 1000