Am I really losing too quickly?

Options
2»

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I see from your profile you also suffer from multiple sclerosis and are on high blood pressure medication. Go back to your dr and get a second medical opinion if needed, but do not rely on internet forums or on what people think about your weight loss. Your circumstances are different than the average poster's and without medical training, none of us can tell you what is the safest plan for you.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Based on those stats it looks like you could afford to eat an extra 1500 calories per day over what you are currently eating

If I were you - I'd increase my calories to 2000 and continue to judge it against my weight loss over time (say every month) then adjust my calories from there

• Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options

At 6 foot 5 inches and 266 pounds your bmi is 31.54 (which is obese, thought not far from overweight which is a BMI of 29.99) In fact to react a healthy BMI your weight should be 210 pounds, which means losing another 56 pounds (based solely on bmi).
    You've lost 61 pounds in 9 weeks (that's 6.7 pounds per week), if you lose the next 56 pounds at the same rate it would take 8 weeks. That would be 117 pounds lost in 17 weeks (also know as 4 months). Personally I think that's insanely fast. I notice in one of your replies that you said you were thinking of switching doctors anyways, so my recommendation is to go ahead and switch doctors and get that doctors opinion. I would also ask the new doctor what (if any)dangers there are in continuing to lose this fast, versus what (if any) advantages there are to losing this fast (make it clear that fast or slow you are committed to losing the weight).
  • alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to lose 1% of body weight a week.

You might also look into some basic resistance training that can be done at home to mitigate the muscle your going to lose.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    My initial reaction was, that sounds like it's happening way too fast, but as aggelikik says
    aggelikik wrote: »
    I see from your profile you also suffer from multiple sclerosis and are on high blood pressure medication. Go back to your dr and get a second medical opinion if needed, but do not rely on internet forums or on what people think about your weight loss. Your circumstances are different than the average poster's and without medical training, none of us can tell you what is the safest plan for you.

maybe your doc has a reason to get you under a certain weight quickly?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    With that much to lose, as long as you've got your micronutrients covered and your doc is watching you, you're most likely good to go.

Congrats! And good luck the rest of the way. :drinker:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I would probably start by having further discussions with my doctor. I guess I'm not quite as quick to dismiss health care professionals when it comes to this kind of stuff even if it may not be their specialty. I know that in my case, my GP is actually pretty knowledgeable about general nutrition. While slower weight loss is often recommended, there are numerous reasons why a doctor might have you lose at a rate faster than generally prescribed.

At minimum I would be reassessing things with my doctor and probably getting a 2nd opinion as well.

1% of your body weight as a rate of loss goal is a pretty good rule of thumb.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A good rule of thumb is to lose 1% of body weight a week.
    Agreed. Weight loss more rapid than that poses health risks that typically outweigh being obese for a tad longer according to WebMD. I would hope his doctor's recommendation of a VLCD was informed by some other health condition, and included instructions as to how to meet his macros. It's also perfectly fine to get a second medical opinion if anything seems fishy.