New BMI calculator formula !!

Options
124»

Replies

• carolynmo1969
    carolynmo1969 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Yuck. I don't like the range it gave me for healthy, I would be skeletal.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    5'7" 143, my calculated BMI went from 22.4 to 22.32, The healthy weight range is still between 118-160. Meh.
  • lohkin
    lohkin Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yay, still obese. Shocker. :p;)

Yup. I even GAINED 2.2 points using this version. Whatever. #BMIisBS
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    I feel like this will just encourage excuses for those who have eating disorders.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I lost a whole point with the new BMI calculator :( It says a healthy weight range for my height is 101 to 137 pounds. At 128 pounds I feel like I could maybe lose another 5 to 10 pounds but anything more than that I'd look and feel like death.

We are the same height and have the same basic idea about goal weight--I'm fluctuating around 125 and would like to lose another 5 or so, but would look terrible at 101 or anywhere near that.

My thought is that BMI is just an effort to approximate what a healthy BF% would be, so if you know your BF% that trumps BMI. I know my lean mass is around 95, so clearly for me 101 would be silly (unless I wanted to lose lean mass, which I certainly do not). Lots of women at this height have higher lean mass weights (I have always thought mine was pretty low and than I'm smaller framed compared to many), so it would be even sillier for them.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    At 5'5 this BMI chart says my new healthy range is 104-144. :huh:
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »

Yep that's me too....my goal weight that I have now is 150 which according to that is still overweight. The lowest I could see myself going to and looking healthy for me would be around 145 maybe 140 and even then would be at the higher end of being healthy....thankfully I don't put too much stock in that lol
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I lost a whole point with the new BMI calculator :( It says a healthy weight range for my height is 101 to 137 pounds. At 128 pounds I feel like I could maybe lose another 5 to 10 pounds but anything more than that I'd look and feel like death.

That seems to be consistent with what the calculator is indicating. 128 is within the normal range and so is 118. As you continue to lose weight, yes, I would expect you would begin to look and feel like death. But how you look doesn't necessarily say anything about your risk factors. Even on the current system, there is a point at which the average person looks and feels like death but falls within the normal range.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    17.47 to 17.82. this is silly.
  • jkal1979
    Options

Yep that's me too....my goal weight that I have now is 150 which according to that is still overweight. The lowest I could see myself going to and looking healthy for me would be around 145 maybe 140 and even then would be at the higher end of being healthy....thankfully I don't put too much stock in that lol

That is my goal too. The only chart I go by is how I feel.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

What chart are you using? I used the 2 links on the first page of this thread, and I'm 5'5" but the healthy weight range is 109.9-148.5

Which is less than a 2 lbs difference on both the high and low end of healthy vs. standard BMI.

• jkal1979
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

What chart are you using? I used the 2 links on the first page of this thread, and I'm 5'5" but the healthy weight range is 109.9-148.5

Which is less than a 2 lbs difference on both the high and low end of healthy vs. standard BMI.

I was using the chart that involves my inability to convert my height into inches. Sorry about that.

• Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »

I was using the chart that involves my inability to convert my height into inches. Sorry about that.

Ah. :)

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Let me, as a non-mathemetician, try to explain the odd findings! The original BMI calculator is a very simple formula - BMI = (weight in kg/height in metres x height in metres).

Imagine if you were trying to get the BMI of people who were cube shaped and made up of a metre cubes which all weighed 1kg. If person 1 was just a one metre cube, their weight would be 1kg and their height would be 1 metre. So their BMI would be 1. (1/1x1).

Person 2, exactly the same proportions, a cube, but 10 metres tall. Their weight would be 1000kg (because they're made of up of a 1000 kg cubes), and their height would be 10 metres. So their BMI would be 10 (1000/10x10).

Somebody in the middle, that was 5 metres tall would have a BMI of 5.

So as the people get taller, their BMI goes up even if they have exactly the same proportions. It should be the same with people-shaped people, not just cubes.

I believe what this "new" calculator is trying to do is to address this. It's a new mathematical formula which allows for people of the same proportions to have the same BMI. There is nothing medical about it - it's not saying that it's definitely healthy for me to be 90lb - we just don't know that. I presume that's partly why it hasn't been adopted.

(Writing in a hurry so I might have got the calculations wrong, but you get the general idea, hopefully).