For those who are losing...do you use your activity calories

Options
13»

Replies

• calz994
    calz994 Posts: 8
    Options
    I agree. I don't eat back my calories. My goal is to stop eating because of boredom. I need to get accustom to a lower calorie count regardless to activity. I'm just starting, so I want to get familiar with my baseline.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    This thread makes me sad. For those following the MFP method, it is designed that you should eat back exercise calories, at least following the general advice to eat back 50-75% due to potential overestimation

There are no medals for not doing so. In fact for many there is the risk of inadequate nutrition and wasting more LBM than necessary if you don't

Eating them back helps fuel your body for your workouts; widens your diet; can offset the desire to crash and burn; leads to easier maintenance in the long run and is an altogether healthier approach

This is absolutely a worthwhile read, I hope some of you change your minds
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

• bigres20
    bigres20 Posts: 17
    Options
    Depends on how much you want to burn in pounds per week. On average most programs will tell you 500 cals lost a day equals 1 pound of fat lost a week. As you get closer to your goal weight, this tends to slow down as the fat that has been with you longer has been stored longer and it takes that bit of extra effort to burn it, but there are ways to make that work to your advantage. Its simple though, we're a walking energy equation, energy = energy out. Fat is stored energy. Muscle is stored (built up) energy. Carbs are quick energy, the bodys main fuel source. You can keep it constant (same calories daily), drop it down ( lesser cals/day) or up (more cals/day). What you eat is also very important, the "healthier" the better the results

"RoseBred;10106039"]Just wondering if there are people who use their regular MFP calories and also use all their activity earned calories and still lost weight? [/quote]

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    bigres20 wrote: »
    Depends on how much you want to burn in pounds per week. On average most programs will tell you 500 cals lost a day equals 1 pound of fat lost a week. As you get closer to your goal weight, this tends to slow down as the fat that has been with you longer has been stored longer and it takes that bit of extra effort to burn it, but there are ways to make that work to your advantage. Its simple though, we're a walking energy equation, energy = energy out. Fat is stored energy. Muscle is stored (built up) energy. Carbs are quick energy, the bodys main fuel source. You can keep it constant (same calories daily), drop it down ( lesser cals/day) or up (more cals/day). What you eat is also very important, the "healthier" the better the results

"RoseBred;10106039"]Just wondering if there are people who use their regular MFP calories and also use all their activity earned calories and still lost weight?

[/quote]

Hang on you think it's last fat on, first fat off? :huh:

Not doubting it gets harder but that's down to less margin for error, and higher likelihood of inconsistencies sneaking into logging

As long as you hit your protein and fat macros and have a good spread of nutrition, you can eat whatever you want
  • ChristianRW
    ChristianRW Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't want to eat them back.
    If i'm extra hungry, i snack an extra apple or something. It has happened that i've been so hungry after a workout, and then i eat it all back, but that's rather rare!
    I regularly do exercise in the amount of 5-600 calories, calculated with endomondo.
    I might eat back 1-200 calories through apples, carrots and such.

I'd say 9/10 times i do not eat back more than 1-200 so i have 400 extra calories in my deficit when i get my 5 week projection as i close shop.

My weightloss has been really steady with .5 kg per week, and i feel great. In the first 2-4 weeks i was a bit hungry, but now it's no problem at all not eating as much as i used to. I figure it has more to do with me loving and eating extra large portions before MFP than with me eating too little now.
    When i go to bed at night i'm not hungry at all, not even when i've done exercise and have a 400 calories extra deficit, and i still lose weight.

I've come to the conclusion that my body probably knows best, and will tell me if it's hungry or not.

Hope this helps :).
  • kendikendrah
    kendikendrah Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    MFP can be too generous with how many calories you burned. A lot of people recommend eating back half of the activity calories.
  • stacey_rayner
    stacey_rayner Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Some days yes some days no. Depends on the type of day you have. I always try to eat my minimum regardless.
  • Dave2041
    Dave2041 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I try to eat them back... not always possible! (700 calorie deficit the past two days :neutral_face: )
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    calz994 wrote: »
    I agree. I don't eat back my calories. My goal is to stop eating because of boredom. I need to get accustom to a lower calorie count regardless to activity. I'm just starting, so I want to get familiar with my baseline.

This is backwards thinking. You shouldn't get used to a lower calorie count regardless of activity. If you exercise, you need to fuel your body appropriately. And if you're just starting, I'd suggest starting with using MFP as it is designed.
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I am a super slow loser, at 1200 calories a day I am lucky to lose a pound a week. I typically don't eat back activity calories but will if I feel hungry and have some to eat. In the back of my mind is what I keep reading that we typically overestimate the calories we burn and underestimate the calories we consume....