How do you know when to stop?

Options
13»

Replies

• ltfrost
    ltfrost Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Personally I don't think I'll ever stop. I have been massively obese my entire life. I was a fat baby, a fat kid, a fat teenager, and a fat adult. I'm kind of curious to see just how skinny I can get.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    ltfrost wrote: »
    Personally I don't think I'll ever stop. I have been massively obese my entire life. I was a fat baby, a fat kid, a fat teenager, and a fat adult. I'm kind of curious to see just how skinny I can get.

This might not be a good idea. :)

How about just aiming for healthy and within your non-overweight range for your height?

• ltfrost
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

How about just aiming for healthy and within your non-overweight range for your height?

A few reasons. I'm kind of afraid of thinking I'm "done" and then blowing back up. Secondly, I don't see it actually happening. I can't imagine me going from being fat for 28 years, to being super skinny.

Honestly I'm just really curious to see if it would even be possible.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options

A few reasons. I'm kind of afraid of thinking I'm "done" and then blowing back up. Secondly, I don't see it actually happening. I can't imagine me going from being fat for 28 years, to being super skinny.

Honestly I'm just really curious to see if it would even be possible.

That really doesn't sound like a good thing to put your body through...

• ltfrost
    Options
    haha like I said, I highly doubt it will even get that far. I just can't realistically see myself being anything other than some kind of fat. I'm sure I'll plateau somewhere and say *kitten* that plan.
  • pjs2780
    pjs2780 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    [quote="OMG! This is exactly how I feel! You'd think that I'd be all proud for losing this weight, but instead I keep thinking that losing 5 or 10 or 15 more pounds would make me happier, but it doesn't. I'm no happier now then I was when I was 165. So yeah - where does it stop? I feel like I need to jump off the train before it derails...

I'd like to add (gulp) that was anorexic in my 20's and have been in recovery since 2001. Sometimes I feel like MFP is kinda feeding my demon.

[/quote]

by all means if you think tracking, weighing, monitoring, "obsessing" is causing you more stress and encouraging any habits that are taking you to where you were when you were anorexic -- stop. maintain. go from the scale to eyeballing and see how you do. you have learned good habits, now it's time to take them into the real world! you can always go back to being exact if this doesn't work for you. enjoy.

you are gorgeous.

maybe setting another goal that has nothing to do with weight? i'm 5 lbs past my first goal and about 4 from my "next" which i came up with in the same "i can do more" mentality. my husband finally told me to stop losing weight just to lose and and focus on something else. so i'm training for a 5K (i have never run before so this is hugely exciting and motivating for me!).

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    pjs2780 wrote: »
    [quote="OMG! This is exactly how I feel! You'd think that I'd be all proud for losing this weight, but instead I keep thinking that losing 5 or 10 or 15 more pounds would make me happier, but it doesn't. I'm no happier now then I was when I was 165. So yeah - where does it stop? I feel like I need to jump off the train before it derails...

I'd like to add (gulp) that was anorexic in my 20's and have been in recovery since 2001. Sometimes I feel like MFP is kinda feeding my demon.

by all means if you think tracking, weighing, monitoring, "obsessing" is causing you more stress and encouraging any habits that are taking you to where you were when you were anorexic -- stop. maintain. go from the scale to eyeballing and see how you do. you have learned good habits, now it's time to take them into the real world! you can always go back to being exact if this doesn't work for you. enjoy.

you are gorgeous.

maybe setting another goal that has nothing to do with weight? i'm 5 lbs past my first goal and about 4 from my "next" which i came up with in the same "i can do more" mentality. my husband finally told me to stop losing weight just to lose and and focus on something else. so i'm training for a 5K (i have never run before so this is hugely exciting and motivating for me!).

[/quote]

I started working on my art stuff again ;)

• mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my final goal is 140-145 (I have a range) which I'm very close to reaching. I am happy as I can eat a decent amount of food while also still being in good shape. Remember - your body is also more than what it looks like - it's what you can do with it.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I say when you are happy as long as you are within a healthy body fat range.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and had an original goal weight of 165, but when I got there I knew I could do better. When I dropped 5 more pounds, I decided to shoot for 155...and so on and so on. So now I'm 143 and I just...I don't know if I'm slim emough yet. Which makes me think I should probably stop and go into maintenance, but part of me thinks I can go harder and drop more and the whole thing is making me very confused.

So, how do you know when you really are done losing?

I'm kinda asking because I overheard a colleague at work talking to my supervisor asking if I was "Ok" and saying "she just got so thin - is she sick?" Now, this wasn't said to be mean or gosspiy...she actually sounded concerned...

Heybales here has an excel sheet where you can enter all of your info including your measurements and it calculates your body frame size, fat % and ideal weight. I find that it is pretty accurate for me, though I don't know if it would still be accurate if I had a higher than average muscle mass. You can download it off his mfp blog.

PS, I am 5'7, and currently weigh 133, still have a muffin top. It says my ideal weight based off my small frame is 126, and I do believe that that would be my ideal weight, if it wasn't for having had 2 kids and have loose skin as a result.

In case anyone thinks that is ridiculously low, I am hovering between a size 8 & 10, so not too thin by any means!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of in the same boat. I started at 148 (Bmi 26.2) and am now 108 (Bmi 19.1). My first goal was 118 and I still didn't like how I looked, so I decided on 114. Then 114 wasn't good enough, so I changed it to 102. I'm not sure if I'll be satisfied at 102. Historically, there's no such thing as thin enough with me. So I would say you should maintain while you still can.

102 lbs would be BMI of 16 which is underweight. You sound like you have an eating disorder. It would be wise to talk to a therapist about it.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    julesxo wrote: »

That's the thing...I thought I'd be doing a happy dance when I got down to my goal weight. But I don't feel any different - just a much smaller version of who I was before and I can wear much cuter outfits

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's the thing...I thought I'd be doing a happy dance when I got down to my goal weight. But I don't feel any different - just a much smaller version of who I was before and I can wear much cuter outfits

Exactly. You ARE the same person only smaller. ;)

I think sometimes we expect great, tremendous things to happen when we lose weight. We're going to land that great job, great boyfriend, or whatever the case may be. But you're still you and if you lose five more pounds, and five more pounds after that, you'll still be you. Just a smaller and smaller you.

A person can keep chasing that impossible dream of becoming, doing, or having someone/something else at a lower and lower weight, and just keep losing weight and not really having those things happen; or a person can decide what physically feels good, looks cute if that's a priority (as you said, cuter clothes), and is within a reasonable weight range.

• AskTracyAnnK28
    Options

Exactly. You ARE the same person only smaller. ;)

I think sometimes we expect great, tremendous things to happen when we lose weight. We're going to land that great job, great boyfriend, or whatever the case may be. But you're still you and if you lose five more pounds, and five more pounds after that, you'll still be you. Just a smaller and smaller you.

A person can keep chasing that impossible dream of becoming, doing, or having someone/something else at a lower and lower weight, and just keep losing weight and not really having those things happen; or a person can decide what physically feels good, looks cute if that's a priority (as you said, cuter clothes), and is within a reasonable weight range.

Yeah- I'm realizing that those things may never happen even if I get down to a size 0