I've lost -74 pounds in less than 4 months

Options
drucole
drucole Posts: 26 Member
"Daily Discipline - My lifestyle change!"

People ask what I was doing to lose weight, so here it is...everything that I am doing! My first step is that I truly wanted to lose the weight. I compare this journey to me accepting Christ and walking with Him. I always knew that following Jesus was what I was supposed to do, but I had to make up my mind to do it! The same with my weight loss/lifestyle change, for years my family and friends said I needed to lose weight, but I had to decide for myself that is what I wanted to do. Enough preaching!

My weight loss program was designed by me for me. (Disclaimer: I am not a dietician or a personal trainer.)

My motivation is to be around for my wife, sons, & my family. I also decided that I needed to take better care of my “Temple” that God gave me. I didn’t want a doctor telling me that “I had to lose the weight or…”

My goal is to lose -120 pounds in one (1) year (3/1/10 - 3/1/11). So far I have lost -74 pounds with His help.

All 10 steps are equally important, but to me #10 has been the most important and the most educational! Below are my 10 steps.

1- I pray and ask God for His help with my will power. So that I can have DAILY DISCIPLINE.The Bible verse that I lean on for inspiration is: "Let us not become weary from doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up" ~ Galatians 6:9. The song that inspires me is "Run Til' I Finish" by Smokie Norful.

2- I don't get any calories from beverages (except V-8 vegetable juice); other than that it's water (at least 10 - 8oz. glasses per day), Sobe ZERO, Vitamin Water ZERO or PowerAde ZERO. With every meal, I drink HOT tea or HOT lemon water with no sugar (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I have not drank any alcohol (beer, wine, or liquor) since I have begun this journey.

3- I eat anything that I want (ice cream, steak, pizza, chips and dip, etc.) EXCEPT, I have not eaten ANY fried food. (I did have a ½ piece of fried fish and 1 fried green tomato to celebrate on June 1st ). I read every nutrition label and just control my portions. I eat 6 times per day breakfast, lunch, and dinner and a snack about 2 hours after each meal. I eat 2000 calories per day (I consulted my physician for my healthiest caloric intake)

4- I eat at least 2 servings of fruit per day and 4 servings of vegetables per day. I also make sure I eat some nuts (walnuts are best), yogurt & leafy greens everyday.

5- Most of the time, I eat at home or bring my lunch from home so that I know what I’m eating. When I do eat out, I have a few “safe” items (i.e. Subway Veggie Delight on wheat without mayo or cheese, Sonic grilled chicken sandwich on the whole wheat bun without mayo or cheese and salads are safe but ALWAYS get the dressing on the side because restaurants put too much dressing on salads and eliminate the croutons and bacon.)

6- I don't eat ANYTHING, not one (1) grape after 8PM! If I'm hungry I fill up on water or I go to sleep.

7- I work out 5-6 days a week. I started with 30 minutes of cardio with my Wii EA Sports Active or Wii Fit Plus and/or walking 1 mile. Now I’m up to 45-60 minutes of Wii & walking 2-3 miles. Right now it’s all cardio; I will start some strength training for toning after I lose -100 pounds.

8- I surround myself with a group of people that want me to succeed and that will encourage me to do well in this journey. And I only step on the scale once a week; the same day and time, every Monday morning before breakfast. I do Monday so it keeps me focused all weekend!

9- I had to focus on the nutrition facts and realize that the calories are base on the serving size. And most foods are packaged with more than one serving per container. I pre-portion most of my snacks (nuts, trail mix, etc.) by the portion size. I bought a food scale so I could be exact on my portions.

10- I journal EVERYTHING that I eat on www.myfitnesspal.com; I log onto it several times EVERYDAY (there’s an App for the Iphone) because it keeps me focused and encouraged. I can tell you everything that I have eaten since March 1st. It's very user friendly and similar to Facebook. My username is drucole, if you join invite me to be your friend.

As I was typing this up, it seems like a lot, but this is what I have committed to and seeing weekly results has made it pretty easy. I CANNOT & WILL NOT go back to my old eating habits and lack of exercise. I pray that this helps someone just remember that this is a lifestyle change, not a quick fix diet. And it takes Daily Discipline!

Best of luck & God Bless!
Drew

Replies

• shannahrenee
    shannahrenee Posts: 380
    Options
    Thanks, this is very helpful.
  • NewImprovedCnbethea1
    Options
    Awesome job!!! Discipline is key!!!
  • louloup
    louloup Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Well done you!!

I wish you the very best on the rest of your journey :)
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I love the way you look at your journey and compare it to a walk with Christ! May God continue to bless you and your efforts to become a healthy vessel to serve Him. :heart:
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Wow, you're doing great! Congrats on what you've lost so far and thanks for sharing your helpful tips!
  • sroseber
    sroseber Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss and your life changes! I love the verse and that you are making Christ a part of your journey...I think it's a wonderful "tool" that most people leave out of their journey. God bless you and thank you for sharing!
  • fitandhealthy
    fitandhealthy Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Good job Drucole!
    This site is an awesome tool to help us keep the daily commitment! This site has taught me that weight loss is really a science.....as long as you are committed to really doing it, the numbers will work! Exercise + limiting caloric intake = living healthy! Congrats on your success!:smile:
  • nejohn
    nejohn Posts: 62
    Options
    Great Job! Thanks for posting.
  • myjan1st
    myjan1st Posts: 9
    Options
    Great Job Brother! Keep going your doing great and thanks for the tips Im down 7lbs only 149 more to go lol Seems like alot but Im ready I want to and with God help I will!
    Blessing
    :wink:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    sooooo awesome....
    you have a plan and are sticking to it...that is the key to making a life change...keep up the great work...
  • Soon2beskinny73
    Soon2beskinny73 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss Drew , that is awesome!! Thank you for the information ....very helpful! I love the way you pray everyday and ask God for help and direction , very important step :) God Bless you and keep up the great work!!
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing with us! god bless! katherine
  • thisemmabites
    Options
    Awesome job! Congratulations on your new lifestyle! :D Go you!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Great list! I just wanted to say, though, and I'm saying this to be helpful. My dad lost 140 lbs - only 40 lbs more than you are aiming for before starting strength training. He had a TON of excess skin. Once you get up to that 100 lb range, you run the risk of having that problem. As we get older, our skin loses its elasticity and if we lose a lot of weight - even slowly - without doing some kind of strength exercises to tone the muscles underneath and keep the skin tight, our skin isn't going to bounce back like it would if we were only losing 10 lbs.

So, I just want to encourage you to start strength training now. Pilates or yoga is great (and not just for girls!!) for keeping the skin tight and firm and I know a woman who did it to help with her excess skin AFTER she lost the weight, but it would be great prevention. Strength training only needs to be 15-30 minutes every other day so it's easy to fit in. Just something to consider! :happy: It's easier to prevent than it is to reverse.
  • kathy140
    kathy140 Posts: 75
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your story, it was very inspiring. Keep up the good work.
    May God bless you always
    Kathy
  • HAMMBONE
    HAMMBONE Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Drew, PRAISE GOD!!!!!

May GOD continue to strengthen you and guide you on your weight loss journey.
    May you be a witness and an encouragement to all those whose path you cross!

GOD IS GOOD!
  • missouri_rain
    missouri_rain Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Common sense advice and easy to implement! Just curious, why the hot tea/ hot lemon water?
  • GooBeGone
    GooBeGone Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    awesome & inspirational! i put in a buddy request also. thanks for the post!!! it gave me extra motivation :happy:
  • shell1205
    shell1205 Posts: 138
    Options
    This is AWESOME!! Congrats on your amazing progress and continued good wishes as you approach your goal!!

I just started this yesterday, and hope I have the same results... I want to lose 65 pounds. Thanks so much for your advice... great help!!

P.S. Look for a friend request from me... I'd like to keep posted on how you're doing!! Thanks again, and God Bless!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!