Too much Sugar/fruits?

Options
shayou
shayou Posts: 5 Member
Hello everybody!!

I'm wondering if I'm not having too much sugar in my diet.
let me start first by saying that I do not drink Sodas, I do not eat candies, i drink tea without added sugar, I eat pretty little processed food, but I do eat a lot of fruits.
Usually have a pear at breakfast, with some blueberries and strawberries in my greek, i might have a clementine or 2 for desert for lunch and usually have an apple for desert for diner, plus the possible sugar that exists in all the vegetables that i'm having during my day.
So my question is basically, am i having too much Sugar/fruits per day?

Would love to hear your opinion!
Thanks,

Replies

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I personally aim for 4-6 servings of fruit a day. I mostly stick to citrus, berries and melons, but I will have one serving of banana or mango every day or two. I am not an expert, but I don't see anything wrong with eating fruit if you aren't going over your calorie limit and you don't have any special sugar sensitivities like diabetes. I actually feel much better when i eat more fruit, and as long as my total calories are stable, my weight isn't affected.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If you have a medical condition in which you should limit sugar you would need to track and worry about your intake. Other than that a high intake of fruits and vegetables is just fine. Tracking your carbohydrates tracks sugar, so you can hide the sugar tracking and know that you are getting vitamins and fiber through your fruit and vegetable intake.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    No
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    No you are not eating too many fruits.

MFP sugar goal is notoriously low.

Unless you have a medical condition, you don't really have to track your sugar. Many people have found swapping tracking fiber for sugar is easier for them.
  • happykelly209
    happykelly209 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great question. I never hit my calories but always go over my sugar ...
  • arobed53
    arobed53 Posts: 2,004 Member
    Options
    It's the added sugars we need to keep low - not the naturally occurring ones in fruits. Great to have them as long as it fits in your calories.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    arobed53 wrote: »
    It's the added sugars we need to keep low - not the naturally occurring ones in fruits. Great to have them as long as it fits in your calories.

why?

what is difference between ten grams of sugar from an apple and ten grams of sugar from a donut??

If I put the sugar from an apple and the sugar from a donut in front of you, could you tell the difference?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

why?

what is difference between ten grams of sugar from an apple and ten grams of sugar from a donut??

If I put the sugar from an apple and the sugar from a donut in front of you, could you tell the difference?

She's probably just going off the WHO suggestions of limiting added sugar. They only tell people to limit it because it can contribute to excess calories. Those of us who track our calories and get a variety of foods don't need to worry about it (unless we have a medical condition that requires it).
  • happykelly209
    happykelly209 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    That does make sense. Yes I have been trying to get most of my sugars from natural sources. I am surprised by the amount of sugar in things like skim milk. Really eye opening for me.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

why?

She's probably just going off the WHO suggestions of limiting added sugar. They only tell people to limit it because it can contribute to excess calories. Those of us who track our calories and get a variety of foods don't need to worry about it (unless we have a medical condition that requires it).

You are probably right…

i just don't get the "added sugar bad, fruit sugar good" mentality ….
  • Charliegottheruns
    Charliegottheruns Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Bad time of year for pears . Just saying
  • blessedpamomof4
    Options
    Bad time of year for pears . Just saying

why?

• blessedpamomof4
    Options
    I think it has to deal with the amount of fiber in fruit, it slows down the absorption of the sugar. If you eat a donut, it's an immediate sugar rush. That's what makes fruit different from the added sugar foods.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I think it has to deal with the amount of fiber in fruit, it slows down the absorption of the sugar. If you eat a donut, it's an immediate sugar rush. That's what makes fruit different from the added sugar foods.

you are conflating fiber with sugar…

so if my diet already has enough fiber in it then sugar source would not matter, right?

• MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you read the paper from WHO that accompanies the guideline, their rationale is that foods with added sugars tend to be low-nutrition per calorie foods (cakes, cookies, highly processed foods, etc). It's not really about the sugars themselves as much as an attempt to limit the types of foods that have added sugars (and fats), in order to leave room in the diet for essentials like lean proteins and fruit and vegetables.

Again, theses are general guidelines for the general population. If your calorie needs are high enough that you can get a wide variety of nutrients plus some added treats, I don't think it would apply. It's just that for the average person, there are only so many calories to work with and added fats and sugars can displace higher nutrient choices. That's the WHO theory, anyway.

Edited to add quote:

"Free sugars contribute to the overall energy density of diets. Ensuring energy balance is critical to maintaining healthy body weight and ensuring optimal nutrient intake.

There is increasing concern that consumption of free sugars, particularly in the form of sugar-sweetened beverages, may result in both reduced intake of foods containing more nutritionally adequate calories and an increase in total caloric intake, leading to an unhealthy diet, weight gain and increased risk of noncommunicable diseases (NCDs)."
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I just joined one week ago and this is my first post. I don't think it is a good idea to eat too many fruits high in sugar if you are trying to lose weight. I know I could never eat that much fruit and still lose weight. The sugar we eat is not just in added sugar in beverages, it is in most processed foods, even savory items like soups and pasta sauces, and also in fruit. I chose to eat fruit low in sugar like berries and Granny Smith apples while losing weight. I think we can get more nutrition in veggies, and just have 1 fruit per day as a treat, because our bodies react the same way when eating fruit as when eating sugary junk foods. Also, I have learned that eating too many foods high in carbs, like breads and cereals, has the same effect as eating too much sugar, it raises your blood sugar, then crashes down resulting in cravings to eat more sugar and carbs. Instead, I make sure to eat enough protein and good quality fats as well to keep me satiated and happy. But I'd only eat more than 1 fruit per day if weight loss wasn't a concern. What about skipping the pear and having eggs instead, or nuts on the yogourt and berries ? I usually have berries on high fat plain Greek yogourt as a treat. I think sugar is an enemy to good health, and should be restricted more.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I just joined one week ago and this is my first post. I don't think it is a good idea to eat too many fruits high in sugar if you are trying to lose weight. I know I could never eat that much fruit and still lose weight. The sugar we eat is not just in added sugar in beverages, it is in most processed foods, even savory items like soups and pasta sauces, and also in fruit. I chose to eat fruit low in sugar like berries and Granny Smith apples while losing weight. I think we can get more nutrition in veggies, and just have 1 fruit per day as a treat, because our bodies react the same way when eating fruit as when eating sugary junk foods. Also, I have learned that eating too many foods high in carbs, like breads and cereals, has the same effect as eating too much sugar, it raises your blood sugar, then crashes down resulting in cravings to eat more sugar and carbs. Instead, I make sure to eat enough protein and good quality fats as well to keep me satiated and happy. But I'd only eat more than 1 fruit per day if weight loss wasn't a concern. What about skipping the pear and having eggs instead, or nuts on the yogourt and berries ? I usually have berries on high fat plain Greek yogourt as a treat. I think sugar is an enemy to good health, and should be restricted more.

Unless you have a medical condition there's no reason to limit fruit or worry significantly about blood sugar. The OP is fine and doesn't need to replace their pear with anything else unless they have a medical condition or are not filling their needs for protein or fat.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,060 Member
    Options
    I disagree with you usmcmp. The OP was all about wondering if they were eating too much sugar, and that may well be the case if 5 fruits are consumed daily. The good thing is that they don't eat processed food. Please remember, this is my personal experience and opinion, and in my experience, I know that I will gain weight eating too much fruit. There is not enough nutrition in fruit for me to justify taking in all that sugar, when I could eat veggies instead. Out bodies are all different and react differently to various foods.
  • suzeequu
    suzeequu Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    same as many...i rarely hit calories but many days go over on sugar. my doc says dont sweat the sugar too much since I am not a diabetic and it is natural sugar. still bothers me though.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Kitnthecat wrote: »
    I disagree with you usmcmp. The OP was all about wondering if they were eating too much sugar, and that may well be the case if 5 fruits are consumed daily. The good thing is that they don't eat processed food. Please remember, this is my personal experience and opinion, and in my experience, I know that I will gain weight eating too much fruit. There is not enough nutrition in fruit for me to justify taking in all that sugar, when I could eat veggies instead. Out bodies are all different and react differently to various foods.

Not enough nutrition in fruit? I understand it doesn't help you reach protein and fat goals, but it has carbs, fiber, vitamins and minerals.

I understand that you prefer to limit fruit and carbs, but the OP prefers eating carbs (which is obvious by their high fruit intake). In the beginning the most important factor to fat loss is consistent logging and a calorie deficit. They may find that they do need to swap out some fruit for protein, but as of this point there is no need for them to limit fruit if they are able to stay within their calorie goal.