How/why is protein powder used?

Options
I've always thought/ heard that protein powder leads to weight gain but i'm seeing a lot of it in peoples' diaries on mfp. : )

Can someone explain to me what protein powder is used for and how it should be used to help with weight loss?

I kind of understand that it can be used in smoothies but I don't understand it's function.

Thank you so much for the help!

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It helps rebuild muscle after a hard work out. One scoop is the same as eating a chicken breast. I am not very hungry in the mornings so I have a scoop for breakfast and I don't get hungry for real food until a few hours later.
  • salvyhead
    salvyhead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The primary function of protein powder is putting money in the pockets of the people selling it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    The primary function of protein powder is putting money in the pockets of the people selling it.

Tin foil hat...ENGAGE!!!!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I use it after a workout to put some protein in my system before I go shower. It's a much easier way to get protein than cooking something while I'm still dripping sweat and exhausted to boot. It works for its intended purpose.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I use it as a means to get enough protein into me on days when I'm not inclined to eat a lot of meat. Protein powder is also a good source of micronutrients if you're lacking on some of those.

I prefer to get my protein and nutrients from other food sources, but sometimes mixing a scoop of chocolate powder into a bowl of yogurt tastes like dessert for breakfast, and you can't beat a dessert for breakfast that still gives you nutrition.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    It helps people up their protein intake. I use it sparingly and rely primarily on regular food. When I do eat it when losing weight I generally put it in Greek yogurt so it's filling. When bulking, I'll combine it with milk and drink it as a shake for the extra calories. It's helpful when you need it but I don't find it essential. I eat plenty of fish, meat and dairy so eat a high amount of protein in my regular diet.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I sometimes use a protein blend with added vitamins and minerals for breakfast because I don't like eating a lot food in the morning. I have also used it after workouts, and sometimes I prefer a smoothie for dessert because it soothes my sweet tooth in a healthy way. There are lots of ways to use protein powders, and various brands often have website that offer recipes and ideas for how to use their powders.
    It's convenient and fast, and it helps me meet or exceed my protein goals for the day.
    And it definitely hasn't caused any weight gain!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,994 Member
    Options
    Primarily because fish doesn't taste good in a smoothy.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I use it to meet my protein requirments....plus its kinda yummy ;)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Helps me meet my protein macro.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

I disagree. You would have to get those calories and protein from somewhere, so why not in a protein powder? It is actually pretty inexpensive if you think of what you would have to buy in meat or dairy or whatever to equal the same amount of servings of protein. Some brands are relatively inexpensive and last a long time.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

this was awesome and ridiculously disturbing at the same time

well done.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I make all sorts of tasty treats which use protein powder to increase the protein content of the food, add flavor, and eliminate the need for other sweeteners. I make protein shakes occasionally, but much prefer high protein cheesecake, protein brownies, protein ice cream, etc. which all taste amazingly similar to their low protein/high sugar counterparts.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Um. Ewww.

Now I can't get that horrible thought out of my mind, and I am actually imagining a codfish smoothie............ :sick:
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options

well done.
    Agreed it was well done. But I found it disturbing and ridiculously awesome.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

well done.
    Agreed it was well done. But I found it disturbing and ridiculously awesome.

wanna play Legos?
  • cheriym
    cheriym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like it in a low carb smoothie -- there are several good low sugar/carb brands out there - I add half a whole orange, peel and all b/c it is yummy and full of nutrients!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    It is just to supplement your food intake to get enough protein based on your requirements. While you should get the majority of your protein from food (satiety, chewing, micronutrients etc), there is nothing wrong with supplementing - but there is nothing special about protein powder in itself.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I use it to boost my protein intake since I have insulin resistance and need to be on a low carb, high fat, high protein diet.

Weight loss is through a caloric deficit, and as long as you log your protein powder, and count those calories, it will not impair your weight loss goals.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options

I've been trying to imagine a tuna fish smoothie. Uh, not good. Not good at all.

I use protein powder to add a protein source to my morning breakfast which is oatmeal. Mix the protein into the oatmeal and I've got a nice 25 grams or so of protein with breakfast. I try to evenly distribute the protein throughout the day. Too much protein all at once is kind of useless. Your body can only handle so much at once. The rest is just pi$$ed out of the body and doesn't do what I want it to do: help build muscles.