length of first bulk/cut cycle?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    V2Win1000, serious question: You do understand that Dom from Bro Science Life is just a character and shouldn't be taken seriously...right?
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Bulk 9-12 months, cut 2-3 months. If you have to cut longer than 3 months (assuming you were lean in the first place) then perhaps the bulk was a little "too dirty".
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Bulk 9-12 months, cut 2-3 months. If you have to cut longer than 3 months (assuming you were lean in the first place) then perhaps the bulk was a little "too dirty".

There are a lot of athletes out there that enter into very long and slow contest preps in hops of greater lbm retention.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    V2Win1000 wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Listen to the hard core fitness models! Lol male or female they usually say that bulking is the term used by ppl who don't want to eat well while building muscle. Honestly ive had trouble with too low of a callororic deficit while lifting heavy, but if seriously cleared that up completely with counting my macros. Do some googling or youtubing on counting macros and you would be surprised how much you can learn about diet and how your body responds. Anyways im making lean muscle gains at a pace that i feel is my maximum and im also loosing 2lb a week. 2000cals a day with a heavy lift load used to drain me and throw my hormones, but i still use the same cals only i boosted my protein to a gram per pound of body weight, keep my fat intake at above 20% per pound of my body weight and really only use carbs as a tool to just have enough for my lifts. As low as possible. And always low glycemic carbs only. It can be done but its all in understanding how macros work and how they work with your body and goals. Hope that helps.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I really don't see the point in doing a bulk for what amounts to about a month. That's not really going to do anything.

As has already been stated, a bulk is usually started at a fairly low BF% and then you cut when you hit your ceiling, whatever that is for you....but you do have to have enough time to actually put on the weight which means inevitably you're going to get a little fat.

I did my first bulk cycle recently and I went for about 5 months. I started at 10-12% BF and started a couple weeks ago @ around 16ish%.
    Listen to the hard core fitness models! Lol male or female they usually say that bulking is the term used by ppl who don't want to eat well while building muscle. Honestly ive had trouble with too low of a callororic deficit while lifting heavy, but if seriously cleared that up completely with counting my macros. Do some googling or youtubing on counting macros and you would be surprised how much you can learn about diet and how your body responds. Anyways im making lean muscle gains at a pace that i feel is my maximum and im also loosing 2lb a week. 2000cals a day with a heavy lift load used to drain me and throw my hormones, but i still use the same cals only i boosted my protein to a gram per pound of body weight, keep my fat intake at above 20% per pound of my body weight and really only use carbs as a tool to just have enough for my lifts. As low as possible. And always low glycemic carbs only. It can be done but its all in understanding how macros work and how they work with your body and goals. Hope that helps.

And this ^^^ is a bunch of bull *kitten*....you can't build muscle and cut at the same time...you can re-comp in maintenance for which you will slowly add some muscle and cut fat...I did this for about 1.5 years and made good progress and continued to lean out without losing much weight...but I didn't put on appreciable muscle...you can't build something from nothing.

If i were to assume everything you did was with anywhere near the same level of knowledge than maybe you just have u pretty unfortunate genetic situation. Im eating over 200g of protein a day.. My progress is not under strain at all its bs to think you cant make gains when you're giving your body exactly what it needs to do so despite a deficit.

Dumbest post of the day SIR. The bold made me laugh though. If you are losing two pounds per week. YOU still think you are making any muscle gains which would mean you are losing more than 2 pounds of fat a week?

Strength=/= mass

Well buddy i don't "think" weights into moving themselves it truly takes an increase in muscle mass to significantly increase the amount of weight you can lift comfortably. Thats silly the bold text wasn't intentional im not even certain how i could have done that from my phone. How can ppl disagree that giving your body what it needs is important?? If you call it a bulk its because you feel like eating cheeseburgers and pasta whenever you want and still feel like any progress is the best kind. If you only allow yourself to consume the best leanest sources of nutrients the callories won't be as high. Its kind of astonishing how ppl who haven't even gone as far as understand how Macros work would argue against good information. Maybe its to protect their excuse for not achieving the gains they hoped for, but heres one thing nobody should overlooked. If you use the same tools that professionals in the industry use.. IFBB pros.. Physique class competitors.. Athletes who make magazine covers.. Than you won't have these excuses anymore. Many have vlogs and document what they learn over the coarse of years and those are great resources. Instead of saying it isnt possible just face the fact that what is in fact possible is achieved at a level of dedication that you aren't prepared to commit to. I guess for some that would be the first hurdle in overcoming ignorance.

Ignore everything that guy said. My god you couldn't be more wrong. You really are out of your league with the people you're trying to debate with here.

Probably weaker too.

Yeah ive come to find these blogs really aren't in the same league as the forums that the ppl who actually compete use regularly. Im new to using this app to track my macros, but i had no idea how clueless and aggressive to be so ppl would be for. "probably weaker too."?? My pic isn't a fake haha.. Ive just been excited with all the progress and knowledge ive gained since the last yr when that pic was taken and honestly.. Don't learn about counting your macros or suppliments that help you gain and cut while in a deeper deficit.. I think even a pic thats outdated to my current progress is still sufficient to prove im well beyond these bigginer misconceptions that run rampant here haha.. A pic says a lot more than keyboard haters ever could.

Who has a fake photo?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

Not necessarily. Even a fairly lean athlete will take about 16 weeks for competition prep to retain lean mass. There is no one size fits all for a bulk or cut and a cut should be done fairly slowly.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Oh man I don't know what is going on here.
    But OP just to give you an idea, I bulked for 4.5 months, gained 10lbs total (went from 121lbs to 131lbs). I didn't measure BF% but I was fairly lean to start. Right now I am maintaining (I decided not to cut). In terms of how long it will take to cut, that is a personal matter depending on your deficit and how lean you would like to go. I notice most people start cutting around this time to be ready for summer, so anywhere from 3-5 months ? (plus or minus).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    But OP just to give you an idea, I bulked for 4.5 months, gained 10lbs total (went from 121lbs to 131lbs). I didn't measure BF% but I was fairly lean to start. Right now I am maintaining (I decided not to cut). In terms of how long it will take to cut, that is a personal matter depending on your deficit and how lean you would like to go. I notice most people start cutting around this time to be ready for summer, so anywhere from 3-5 months ? (plus or minus).

Welcome to our little pow wow, Steph! :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

you don't want to comment on anything else in here??? are you suuuuurrrreeeeee????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Dumbest post of the day SIR. The bold made me laugh though. If you are losing two pounds per week. YOU still think you are making any muscle gains which would mean you are losing more than 2 pounds of fat a week?

Strength=/= mass

Well buddy i don't "think" weights into moving themselves it truly takes an increase in muscle mass to significantly increase the amount of weight you can lift comfortably. Thats silly the bold text wasn't intentional im not even certain how i could have done that from my phone. How can ppl disagree that giving your body what it needs is important?? If you call it a bulk its because you feel like eating cheeseburgers and pasta whenever you want and still feel like any progress is the best kind. If you only allow yourself to consume the best leanest sources of nutrients the callories won't be as high. Its kind of astonishing how ppl who haven't even gone as far as understand how Macros work would argue against good information. Maybe its to protect their excuse for not achieving the gains they hoped for, but heres one thing nobody should overlooked. If you use the same tools that professionals in the industry use.. IFBB pros.. Physique class competitors.. Athletes who make magazine covers.. Than you won't have these excuses anymore. Many have vlogs and document what they learn over the coarse of years and those are great resources. Instead of saying it isnt possible just face the fact that what is in fact possible is achieved at a level of dedication that you aren't prepared to commit to. I guess for some that would be the first hurdle in overcoming ignorance.

because strength gains DO NOT EQUAL muscle gains..

you can train your muscles to be more efficient, i.e. lift more, but that does not mean you have gained mass....

Not sure why this is so hard to comprehend.

and if you are losing two pounds a week and gaining muscle, why are you losing? If you gained two pounds of muscle and lost two pounds of fat should you not be the same weight? Or does this magical muscle mass that you are adding not weigh anything???

Well this is simple compared to the previous conversation.. The answer is clear. Nobody gaind 2lbs of muscle a week naturally. Even you were trying to get your IFBB pro card with hopes of competing for the olympia you wouldn't be building that kind of mass for more thsn just the first few weeks of starting the cycle of steroids, Gh, and insulin that those guy's stack to gain as much lean mass as possible. Actually just research how much muscle can be gained in a week naturally for yourself cuz its doubtful you'll take it from me, but you'll learn the same thing. My main goal is to shred so i do a whole lot of calculated suplimintation to assist that goal and to protect my muscle while in a deficit. A lot of pros blog about every detail of ehat they do because its their life. Its not all that smart to Ignore the process that allowed those types of ppl to overcome the plateaus that come at the near end of their ultimate success if you have goals that are bigger than most ppls goals.

I am just not even going to...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

you don't want to comment on anything else in here??? are you suuuuurrrreeeeee????

Haha, I honestly wouldn't even know where to start....

• Wheelhouse15
    Options
    I really don't see the point in doing a bulk for what amounts to about a month. That's not really going to do anything.

As has already been stated, a bulk is usually started at a fairly low BF% and then you cut when you hit your ceiling, whatever that is for you....but you do have to have enough time to actually put on the weight which means inevitably you're going to get a little fat.

I did my first bulk cycle recently and I went for about 5 months. I started at 10-12% BF and started a couple weeks ago @ around 16ish%.

And this ^^^ is a bunch of bull *kitten*....you can't build muscle and cut at the same time...you can re-comp in maintenance for which you will slowly add some muscle and cut fat...I did this for about 1.5 years and made good progress and continued to lean out without losing much weight...but I didn't put on appreciable muscle...you can't build something from nothing.

If i were to assume everything you did was with anywhere near the same level of knowledge than maybe you just have u pretty unfortunate genetic situation. Im eating over 200g of protein a day.. My progress is not under strain at all its bs to think you cant make gains when you're giving your body exactly what it needs to do so despite a deficit.

Strength=/= mass

Ignore everything that guy said. My god you couldn't be more wrong. You really are out of your league with the people you're trying to debate with here.

Probably weaker too.

Yeah ive come to find these blogs really aren't in the same league as the forums that the ppl who actually compete use regularly. Im new to using this app to track my macros, but i had no idea how clueless and aggressive to be so ppl would be for. "probably weaker too."?? My pic isn't a fake haha.. Ive just been excited with all the progress and knowledge ive gained since the last yr when that pic was taken and honestly.. Don't learn about counting your macros or suppliments that help you gain and cut while in a deeper deficit.. I think even a pic thats outdated to my current progress is still sufficient to prove im well beyond these bigginer misconceptions that run rampant here haha.. A pic says a lot more than keyboard haters ever could.

How about this, since you want to sit here and criticize this site and people you don't know, I invite you to come over to the forum on BodyBuilding.com and drop into a couple sections where I'm an active member and have a bunch of friends that compete in the stuff you seem to be obsessed with. The compete on stage and the compete in power meets. They were scattered all around The Arnold last week in all the booths. Run your ideas past those threads. Let's see the response. You can start in the nutrition section if you would like. Or you can drop into the Ice cream thread which is on Part 3 and tell everyone how their training and nutrition sucks because they eat ice cream.

You still haven't brought any actual science to the table. I've offered to discuss some if you are up for it. But actual science. No IFBB or Youtube talk. We can see what we can learn from your year of reading. What do you say? I mean if you really really wanted to we can all set up a Skype group session and put all cards on the table. No time for quick internet searching or fact checks. Just straight information from what's in our heads.

/end derail -- that's all that needs to be said really. :)
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

Strength=/= mass

Probably weaker too.

Ignoring the parts of your argument that make no sense, and focusing on the part about pictures being so important, did you happen to notice the photos of those that 1. are more successful than you and 2. gained that success from proper knowledge and comprehension of basic biological/physical principals? You like to speak about research, but you seem to fail in that very exercise.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I didn't know you decided not to cut! Cool
  • ndj1979
    Options

Strength=/= mass

Probably weaker too.

How about this, since you want to sit here and criticize this site and people you don't know, I invite you to come over to the forum on BodyBuilding.com and drop into a couple sections where I'm an active member and have a bunch of friends that compete in the stuff you seem to be obsessed with. The compete on stage and the compete in power meets. They were scattered all around The Arnold last week in all the booths. Run your ideas past those threads. Let's see the response. You can start in the nutrition section if you would like. Or you can drop into the Ice cream thread which is on Part 3 and tell everyone how their training and nutrition sucks because they eat ice cream.

You still haven't brought any actual science to the table. I've offered to discuss some if you are up for it. But actual science. No IFBB or Youtube talk. We can see what we can learn from your year of reading. What do you say? I mean if you really really wanted to we can all set up a Skype group session and put all cards on the table. No time for quick internet searching or fact checks. Just straight information from what's in our heads.

for the win ….
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

Strength=/= mass

Probably weaker too.

Yep. An MFP TKO....
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Strength=/= mass

Probably weaker too.

And what does you pic show. Anything at all. What does my pic show? Well it shows a transformation from where I got and gave up last attempt. Then to my heaviest. Next in even a recent picture of me getting back down in weight. BUt by your definition I would have more Muscle mass since I increased my three big lifts from pic one to pic 3 by close to 200 pounds. That not how this works and I am actually body composition smaller at picture 3 then picture one. You do know that I am close to 15 pounds heavier than picture one. I am actually 10 pounds smaller than picture three although once again I have increased my lift. So ,your definition, I have more muscle mass because I can lift more. Had to say it again because once again it is wrong. If you knew anything about nutrition this conversation would not be happening but you don't. Sit back, grab a chair and a notebook to take notes, and learn from people who have studied these things and do countless hours on research.

OH I forgot to add that at picture 2 I was weaker than picture one and 3. Weight breakdown pic 1 205 pic 2 265 and pic 3 220.

S one last time strength gains does not mean you had any kind of muscle mass gain since muscle mass comes from? I ask you to see if you even know how to build muscle because it seems you really don't.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I wanted to put on some lean mass, but I really didn't want to get huge, mainly because diving becomes very hard on my legs with all that extra weight. (But also because I just don't like being fluffy nor do I like cutting for long periods.) I've been doing cycles of bulking for two weeks and then immediately cutting for two weeks. I started about a year and a half ago. I don't know if it's more or less efficient than longer cycles or how it compares to just recomping at maintenance, but it has allowed me to add some lean mass. (My estimate based on measurements/calipers was 5-6 lbs in the first year, at 44 years old, FWIW.)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I love this thread.
  • stephxo1
    stephxo1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    And this guy proves why I stay out of the forum unless I'm bored on a nightshift like now. Passed a good 15mins or so for me though. Thanks to my friends on here for the good advice I've been given over the past few months and for keeping me off the path of bro science. I owe all of you my future gains lol