length of first bulk/cut cycle?

Options
seena511
seena511 Posts: 685 Member
so my question is really more about the "cutting" side of this, but i thought i'd get more of the answers i'm looking for here. very recently (2 weeks ago) i started a bulk with the goal of gaining 1/2 lb per week. this is the first time that i'm trying this after several years of dieting and plateaus, so needless to say i'm very nervous about this. with summer getting closer, i'm worried about getting to a point where i look more "fat" than "muscular" and i was thinking about trying to cut 1/2 lbs per week beginning in early/mid April. i know that's not really a long time for a bulk but again, just thinking about summer and my affinity for short shorts.

ultimately i want to lose about 10 more lbs.

the flip side is that i really don't want to lose strength if i can help it. i know that some strength loss is to be expected, but obviously (like everyone here) i want to minimize that. i'm really close to 200 lbs on squat and i don't want that to slip away!

that being said, how long would be a good "trial period" for me to give cutting to see if i'm losing body fat without also losing too much strength? currently i lift four days a week (wendler's) and i'm doing cardio on top of that as i'm an endurance cyclist and training for a half marathon. i know that the top advice i'll get is probably to drop cardio but that's not going to happen, so i understand as well if i need to accept some strength loss in order to not lose ground on that.

any helpful advice appreciated.

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Most people start a bulk at a specific body fat and end a bulk at a specific body fat. It's done that way to maximize hormones and nutrient partitioning.

Women usually start a bulk around or below 18% then start cutting around 24%.

ETA: My first real bulk was a bit over a year.
  • Shouliveshappy
    Shouliveshappy Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Most people start a bulk at a specific body fat and end a bulk at a specific body fat. It's done that way to maximize hormones and nutrient partitioning.

How much weight did you put on when you get from 18% to 24% body fat?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    seena511 wrote: »
    so my question is really more about the "cutting" side of this, but i thought i'd get more of the answers i'm looking for here. very recently (2 weeks ago) i started a bulk with the goal of gaining 1/2 lb per week. this is the first time that i'm trying this after several years of dieting and plateaus, so needless to say i'm very nervous about this. with summer getting closer, i'm worried about getting to a point where i look more "fat" than "muscular" and i was thinking about trying to cut 1/2 lbs per week beginning in early/mid April. i know that's not really a long time for a bulk but again, just thinking about summer and my affinity for short shorts.

ultimately i want to lose about 10 more lbs.

the flip side is that i really don't want to lose strength if i can help it. i know that some strength loss is to be expected, but obviously (like everyone here) i want to minimize that. i'm really close to 200 lbs on squat and i don't want that to slip away!

that being said, how long would be a good "trial period" for me to give cutting to see if i'm losing body fat without also losing too much strength? currently i lift four days a week (wendler's) and i'm doing cardio on top of that as i'm an endurance cyclist and training for a half marathon. i know that the top advice i'll get is probably to drop cardio but that's not going to happen, so i understand as well if i need to accept some strength loss in order to not lose ground on that.

any helpful advice appreciated.

When are all your races taking place? If I were you I wouldn't do the bulk now, followed by a cut, so close to competition time (I'm assuming they are spring summer)

Your racing weight will go up and your times will go down. Then you'll cut and your performance will take another nose dive. Your strength will drop, it's pretty unavoidable.

If I were you, and we are pretty similar, I'm a triathloner who bulks ands cuts, I would wait until the off season to concentrate on bulking properly and take the cardio out/down in volume and intensity for a while to maximise gains. So bulk late October, November, December,then new year do the aerobic part of your training while cutting for a month or six weeks(cutting while intensly training over , Lactate Threshold can cut into muscle if you're not careful) then be ready for the high intensity part of your training year to kick in in Feb, March, April May onwards. Eat at maintenance.

It's very difficult for endurance athletes to bulk and cut as we have a small time frame. Joe Friel's books on cycling and Triathlon Periodization are second to none for this training advice. He doesn't specifically help with the bulking and cutting, the gaining weight forum has been invaluable, plus my own experience.

I was 15% bf At the beginning of my bulk. You may want to cut before your bulk after race season.

In short, bulking and fast racing times are not compatible. Cutting and strength and performance gains or even maintenance are not either. It's a recipe for injury and lack of power.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

How much weight did you put on when you get from 18% to 24% body fat?

I went from 155 to 200. I started at about 15%, not 18%.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    most people bulk at the end of summer over fall/winter and then start cutting a few months before spring..

this year I ran my bulk from October to February and my plan is to cut from about February to say July and then go to maintenance from july to september and then run another bulk from september to february.

you may want to reconsider holding off on the bulk now and wait until summer is over.

you could do a recomp from now until when you want to bulk. recomp = eating at maintenance and losing fat and gaining muscle….
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I went 167 to 200 lbs over about 61 weeks. Not sure of the body fat levels, nor do I really care. I went from pretty damn lean to upper end of athletic I would say.
  • V2Win1000
    V2Win1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Listen to the hard core fitness models! Lol male or female they usually say that bulking is the term used by ppl who don't want to eat well while building muscle. Honestly ive had trouble with too low of a callororic deficit while lifting heavy, but if seriously cleared that up completely with counting my macros. Do some googling or youtubing on counting macros and you would be surprised how much you can learn about diet and how your body responds. Anyways im making lean muscle gains at a pace that i feel is my maximum and im also loosing 2lb a week. 2000cals a day with a heavy lift load used to drain me and throw my hormones, but i still use the same cals only i boosted my protein to a gram per pound of body weight, keep my fat intake at above 20% per pound of my body weight and really only use carbs as a tool to just have enough for my lifts. As low as possible. And always low glycemic carbs only. It can be done but its all in understanding how macros work and how they work with your body and goals. Hope that helps.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    V2Win1000 wrote: »
    Listen to the hard core fitness models! Lol male or female they usually say that bulking is the term used by ppl who don't want to eat well while building muscle. Honestly ive had trouble with too low of a callororic deficit while lifting heavy, but if seriously cleared that up completely with counting my macros. Do some googling or youtubing on counting macros and you would be surprised how much you can learn about diet and how your body responds. Anyways im making lean muscle gains at a pace that i feel is my maximum and im also loosing 2lb a week. 2000cals a day with a heavy lift load used to drain me and throw my hormones, but i still use the same cals only i boosted my protein to a gram per pound of body weight, keep my fat intake at above 20% per pound of my body weight and really only use carbs as a tool to just have enough for my lifts. As low as possible. And always low glycemic carbs only. It can be done but its all in understanding how macros work and how they work with your body and goals. Hope that helps.

Hardcore fitness models tend to be enhanced and have a life that revolves around eating and training. I think it would be unwise to follow their advice for a person who isn't so maniacally devoted to aesthetics.

OP please ignore this horrible post, which other than the protein diet content, which is surprisingly good, is not worth reading.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

The bro science is strong :smiley:

• ndj1979
    Options

no, just ignore this OP
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Hardcore fitness models tend to be enhanced and have a life that revolves around eating and training. I think it would be unwise to follow their advice for a person who isn't so maniacally devoted to aesthetics.

OP please ignore this horrible post, which other than the protein diet content, which is surprisingly good, is not worth reading.

Cosigned
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I really don't see the point in doing a bulk for what amounts to about a month. That's not really going to do anything.

As has already been stated, a bulk is usually started at a fairly low BF% and then you cut when you hit your ceiling, whatever that is for you....but you do have to have enough time to actually put on the weight which means inevitably you're going to get a little fat.

I did my first bulk cycle recently and I went for about 5 months. I started at 10-12% BF and started a couple weeks ago @ around 16ish%.

And this ^^^ is a bunch of bull *kitten*....you can't build muscle and cut at the same time...you can re-comp in maintenance for which you will slowly add some muscle and cut fat...I did this for about 1.5 years and made good progress and continued to lean out without losing much weight...but I didn't put on appreciable muscle...you can't build something from nothing.

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone, this was so helpful. i'm going back to weight loss or maybe maintenance for summer time. much appreciated!!
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    Great! Come back and hang out when you're ready to bulk, it's so much fun!
  • ndj1979
    Options

agreed...

:)
  • Springfield1970
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

agreed...

You missing it Cutty Cutterson? ;-(

• ndj1979
    Options

agreed...

eh, it has gotten better..

The first month was a little rough but then I bumped up cals by 100 per day which helped...

some days I log my food and am almost at goal for day and am like WTF!!!! :(:(:(
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

Dumbest post of the day SIR. The bold made me laugh though. If you are losing two pounds per week. YOU still think you are making any muscle gains which would mean you are losing more than 2 pounds of fat a week?

Strength=/= mass
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

agreed...

eh, it has gotten better..

The first month was a little rough but then I bumped up cals by 100 per day which helped...

some days I log my food and am almost at goal for day and am like WTF!!!! :(:(:(

So it's only SOME days. :p
  • V2Win1000
    V2Win1000 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I really don't see the point in doing a bulk for what amounts to about a month. That's not really going to do anything.

As has already been stated, a bulk is usually started at a fairly low BF% and then you cut when you hit your ceiling, whatever that is for you....but you do have to have enough time to actually put on the weight which means inevitably you're going to get a little fat.

I did my first bulk cycle recently and I went for about 5 months. I started at 10-12% BF and started a couple weeks ago @ around 16ish%.

And this ^^^ is a bunch of bull *kitten*....you can't build muscle and cut at the same time...you can re-comp in maintenance for which you will slowly add some muscle and cut fat...I did this for about 1.5 years and made good progress and continued to lean out without losing much weight...but I didn't put on appreciable muscle...you can't build something from nothing.

If i were to assume everything you did was with anywhere near the same level of knowledge than maybe you just have u pretty unfortunate genetic situation. Im eating over 200g of protein a day.. My progress is not under strain at all its bs to think you cant make gains when you're giving your body exactly what it needs to do so despite a deficit.