Popcorn healthy snack?

Options
Is a popcorn a healthy snack? My friend things it is but I dont see how with all that butter and salt. So is it I plan on going to the movies on Friday and getting me a small popcorn if it is healthy or okay.

Someone please help!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Log it and see if it fits into your calorie goal. You don't have to get the butter, you know.
    If it doesn't fit into your goal, and you still want it-you can go over your deficit a little if you're due for a treat.

There's nothing unhealthy about popcorn. Weight loss is about calories in/calories out. And popcorn is awesome.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I have popcorn almost every day. Either white cheddar popcorn or light butter microwave popcorn. Movie popcorn will likely have more calories, but if it fits into your cals then it's fine.
  • lolo32015
    lolo32015 Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything you like so long as it fits into your daily calorie allowance and your hitting your nutritional requirement (macros and micros). Check the database to get an idea of how many calories it is (I have no idea what a small sized US movie popcorn would be in terms of number of cups, so you'll need to estimate that). Here's an entry I pulled at random (nb that cal count is for 1 cup only, no way it will be that small). Armed with that knowledge you can plan ahead to work it into your day and save up some calories towards it if necessary.

m9kphp2j7k1r.png
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Quaker rice cakes (kinda like popcorn) are great. White cheddar are 45 cal, 8 carb, 0 fat per...I use them as snacks. The Apple ones (also no fat) go good with peanut/almond butter if you have fat to give :)
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I like it air popped with chili powder, it makes me not miss the butter and salt.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Oh, just to note, that example shows kilojoules, not calories, cos that's what I work in :)
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'd pack an oversize purse with Skinny Pop popcorn and bring my own ;) No popcorn in a movie theatre chain is going to be "healthy" but if you make your own, you're in control of what goes on it.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/how-unhealthy-movie-theater-popcorn
  • arditarose
    Options
    amy8400 wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd pack an oversize purse with Skinny Pop popcorn and bring my own ;) No popcorn in a movie theatre chain is going to be "healthy" but if you make your own, you're in control of what goes on it.

http://www.thedailymeal.com/how-unhealthy-movie-theater-popcorn

So this says a small popcorn without butter is 225 calories and 11 grams of fat. I think that's incredible! Helps me hit my fat macro too. Even the medium at 430 isn't bad. I'm always going to get movie theater popcorn now. Thank you.
  • lolo32015
    Options
    Nice love it @amy8400
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Air popped corn is a great healthy snack, higher in protein and fiber than many others and quite filling for the calories. All the butter/salt/seasoning is an option and to some would make it a whole lots less "healthy". I have popcorn at least a couple times a week with some melted butter and salt, sometimes I add some sweetener/sugar and a dash of cinnamon, it really kills the craving for baking.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I eat every night a huge bowl of air-popped popcorn
    With butter spray and seasoning from Kernel ( they have different kinds of taste from salt to sweet)

For months now. It it is healthy??? no idea. But it is my snack to nibble on in the night. They fit in my calorie allowance so why not eat them? And i lost almost 75 pounds in the last 5 months.

You can cut out every little joy you have in life but that doesn't make it more pleasant ( read healthy)

What does it matter that you eat or drink something on a night out? As long there are no medical issues. You just have to get back to portion control and moderation the next day.

• lolo32015
    Options
    Where can you get air popcorn @GoGoMary4‌ and @maroonmango211
  • arditarose
    Options
    I eat every night a huge bowl of air-popped popcorn
    With butter spray and seasoning from Kernel ( they have different kinds of taste from salt to sweet)

For months now. It it is healthy??? no idea. But it is my snack to nibble on in the night. They fit in my calorie allowance so why not eat them? And i lost almost 75 pounds in the last 5 months.

You can cut out every little joy you have in life but that doesn't make it more pleasant ( read healthy)

What does it matter that you eat or drink something on a night out? As long there are no medical issues. You just have to get back to portion control and moderation the next day.

What's up with the butter spray? How can you tell the calorie count? Also, do you air pop yours in the microwave or do you have an air popper?
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I buy popping corn from my local grocery, I usually go for the brand name as I find store brand or no name just dont pop as well (probably stale) and pop them stove top with a couple drops of water or in my air popper (can be gotten in most small home electronics sections). I've seen people make it in the microwave in paper bags too, I just personally haven't tried it.
  • GoGoMary4
    GoGoMary4 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    @lolo32015 I make it at home with an air popper but you can make it on the stove with out oil or butter http://www.livestrong.com/article/443084-how-to-cook-popcorn-without-oil/
  • arditarose
    Options
    I buy popping corn from my local grocery, I usually go for the brand name as I find store brand or no name just dont pop as well (probably stale) and pop them stove top with a couple drops of water or in my air popper (can be gotten in most small home electronics sections). I've seen people make it in the microwave in paper bags too, I just personally haven't tried it.

Yeah, this is what I've been wondering. If it's a pain in the butt I will just get a popper. I get frustrated easily ha.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I'm with Amy. I always pull out my big purse that I only use for movies then head to the grocery store. I get one of those premade melon salads and a package of nuts. I also grab a bottle of water because the theater costs double the price of the grocery store.

Healthy fats from the nuts give me my salt kick and the sugar from the yummy melon gives me my fruit.

Oh, another one is tangerines. I peel them at home and put the slices in a container. YUM!
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    air popped with chicken salt and pizza topper hebs is OK

Butter and oil adds hundreds of cals per cup its not worth it