Popcorn healthy snack?

Options

Replies

• BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper.
    the butter spray is zero calories for 1/5 second or so. But i dont do it that way
    the whole spray is 470 calories so i tested how long i do with a spray and divided that amount in the calories that i quickly added every day. This amount of quickly add calories is for the lemon juice i use and the butter / olive and other spray's So for the products that dont give an calorie amount because it is under the 5 calories per serving

But my popcorn is about 250 calories ( i have an double portion each night) For a big big bowl. It is 80 gram of popcorn un-popped So it is more than those bags you pop in the microwave about 2.5 more is my guess.

The Kernel seasoning is also zero calories. You have white cheddar/garlic Parmesan/sweet/ chocolate caramel/ bacon and some other kind of tastes.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I have an air popper.
    the butter spray is zero calories for 1/5 second or so. But i dont do it that way
    the whole spray is 470 calories so i tested how long i do with a spray and divided that amount in the calories that i quickly added every day. This amount of quickly add calories is for the lemon juice i use and the butter / olive and other spray's So for the products that dont give an calorie amount because it is under the 5 calories per serving

But my popcorn is about 250 calories ( i have an double portion each night) For a big big bowl. It is 80 gram of popcorn un-popped So it is more than those bags you pop in the microwave about 2.5 more is my guess.

The Kernel seasoning is also zero calories. You have white cheddar/garlic Parmesan/sweet/ chocolate caramel/ bacon and some other kind of tastes.

Interesting. I am a high volume eater so I'm considering getting a popper. I haven't seen those seasonings either.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    1d9bz5e60b39.jpg
    9b7wm92pge2w.jpg

Fun part the seasoning is also great in salads and meats

I made some lovely chicken the day before with some lemon juice, Dash spices, and a little bit of the kernel bacon seasoning. it was nom nom nom
  • arditarose
    Options
    1d9bz5e60b39.jpg
    9b7wm92pge2w.jpg

Fun part the seasoning is also great in salads and meats

I made some lovely chicken the day before with some lemon juice, Dash spices, and a little bit of the kernel bacon seasoning. it was nom nom nom

Thanks for the tip. Maybe I'll get into this.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I have an air popper.

Interesting. I am a high volume eater so I'm considering getting a popper. I haven't seen those seasonings either.
    Well me too in the evening
    i love to snack
    And this is marvelous when you want to eat a couple of hundred of something hehehehe
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    What about frozen mint peas. Like a summer time popcorn substitute.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I have an air popper.

i love to snack
    And this is marvelous when you want to eat a couple of hundred of something hehehehe

Yeah, I love to see how far 200 calories can go with something you LIKE. I'm all for moderation, but if I find something really low cal that I love and can eat a large quantity of, I'm in.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    btw the butter spray is for sale at Walmart. I had the Kernel's and some other brands. Kernel is very good.

One day sold out and i really wanted my popcorn in the evening so i bought the Winona brand, and its gooooood lol
    Much better taste then other brands and when you spray it on you even can smell it.
    so i switched to that one.

• BWBTrish
    Options
    I have an air popper.

i love to snack

Yeah, I love to see how far 200 calories can go with something you LIKE. I'm all for moderation, but if I find something really low cal that I love and can eat a large quantity of, I'm in.

well i eat at the moment a double portion because i can fit it in. But even 1 serving so 40 grams is a very decent bowl of popcorn. And only 120 calories without seasoning and butter. So say 125 all together. And it is more than the microwaveable bags.

• lllwallace
    Options
    A good recipe (in my opinion): Hot air popped corn. In a plastic bag put equal amounts of melted butter and lime juice, a dash (or more) of Tabasco sauce and salt to taste, toss in the corn and shake it up. If you use a bag or covered bowl this way to disperse the butter evenly with the shaking action you get away with using a lot less butter or olive oil. I just can't eat it plain, so it is just a sometime treat. I use the covered bowl shake for tossed salads and get by with much less dressing - hardly any.
  • BWBTrish
    Options
    lllwallace wrote: »
    A good recipe (in my opinion): Hot air popped corn. In a plastic bag put equal amounts of melted butter and lime juice, a dash (or more) of Tabasco sauce and salt to taste, toss in the corn and shake it up. If you use a bag or covered bowl this way to disperse the butter evenly with the shaking action you get away with using a lot less butter or olive oil. I just can't eat it plain, so it is just a sometime treat. I use the covered bowl shake for tossed salads and get by with much less dressing - hardly any.

Same here. I even make some dressing thinning it up with water. Taste just as good lol

• amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Love my air popper. Bought it from a Kroger Marketplace on a clearance table. It's no longer made but this one by Cuisinart is very similar in design. More expensive than I paid but if you want guilt-free popcorn and season it with your favorite flavorings, this should do the job:

http://popcorn-maker-review.toptenreviews.com/cuisinart-air-popcorn-maker-review.html
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options
    I love popcorn. I pop mine on the stove. I do use some oil and salt it but skip the butter. Sometimes I put taco seasoning on it instead of salt.
    It does have fiber and some nutrients so it is a decent snack.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    lolo32015 wrote: »
    Is a popcorn a healthy snack? My friend things it is but I dont see how with all that butter and salt. So is it I plan on going to the movies on Friday and getting me a small popcorn if it is healthy or okay.

Someone please help!

Popcorn is neither healthy or unhealthy, in my opinion, but it is darned delicious. I don't like butter on my popcorn because it makes it soggy, but I do have some butter-salt flavoring I use, and I pop it in a Whirley Pop using Orville Redenbaucher popcorn popping oil, and it's great.

Do your best to fit that popcorn into your calorie goals, but if you can't enjoy every last bite and have a great time at the movies. :)
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Quaker rice cakes (kinda like popcorn) are great. White cheddar are 45 cal, 8 carb, 0 fat per...I use them as snacks. The Apple ones (also no fat) go good with peanut/almond butter if you have fat to give :)

Rice cakes taste like cardboard.
  • lbaileyjohannsen
    lbaileyjohannsen Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Movie theater popcorn is loaded with empty calories (but is delicious). If I'm craving popcorn, I air pop it, then add melted coconut oil (or butter if I'm feeling it), cracked black pepper, and a little handful of nutritional yeast, which is terrifically good for you and dynamite on popcorn. Mmmmm. If I have the calories tomorrow I'm definitely going to have some.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    air-popped popcorn is a healthy, filling snack.

movie theater popcorn is not.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't pop it with butter and salt and you're good to go. Popcorn really is quite healthy.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/healthy-benefits-popcorn-4376.html
  • minipony
    minipony Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can also use a brown lunch sack and put a small amount of popcorn, maybe like 4-6 TB of popping corn in the bag. Seal the bag by folding the top over several times. Microwave it and watch it. When you hear popping pretty slow, then take it out. Older microwaves sometimes burn the popcorn and new microwaves don't. Then I throw my seasonings in the bag while it's steaming and shake it all around, put it in a bowl and enjoy.gdmg0vrdl2uy.jpg
    fm083v6dh2hn.jpg
    4l45dtr9wbzl.jpg
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    bulbadoof wrote: »
    air-popped popcorn is a healthy, filling snack.

movie theater popcorn is not.

Why not?