40 pounds in 6 months

Options
steeheart
steeheart Posts: 56 Member
I'm 28 years old, 5'7" and have lost 40 pounds in 6 months. I started at 205 lbs and now weigh 165. I achieved this through walking, hiking, occasional weight lifting, and of course counting my calories. My normal routine now is to walk about 5 miles a day, and when i get home stretch, do some yoga poses and do about 15 minutes of strength training.
u91c3yjzhk2o.jpg

I think I owe most of my weight loss to counting calories. I've tried low carb, blah blah blah different diets, and none of them work long term. I now eat whatever I want, as long as it fits into my calorie goals. I find that snacking is not good for me. I pretty much eat 3 square meals a day, drinking flavored sparkling water when hungry between meals. The only thing I ever snack on is sliced cucumber with lime and salt, fruit, or raw veggies like tomatoes and carrots. I shop at trader joes and buy their frozen and refrigerated entrees. Tamales, burritos, curry, small pizzas, greek orzo salad etc. For breakfast I eat two eggs with a tortilla, or oatmeal. For lunch and dinner I have trader joe entrees with less than 400 calories each. At the end of the day I usually have calories left over, and will treat myself to a cookie, almonds, yogurt, or wine.

I never feel like im starving or depriving myself. At first this was difficult, and I found the thing to get me through it was the trader joes sparkling waters. I would drink two a day and the bubbles filled my stomach and helped me make it to my next meal.

Find a place you like walking. A nice trail, the beach, a nice neighborhood or wherever. At first I went hiking with a friend every morning. Two months later I moved to a beach city, so now I walk on the beach or the strand. Its beautiful and I get lost in my thoughts and music. I hate when I go a day without walking now. You have to find your happy place!

I hope this helps someone out there! I feel so much better now, and will continue to lose more weight. Its so easy now! My main pieces of advice are to count your calories, walk at least an hour a day, and drink sparkling water when hungry! Good luck.

Replies

• mirrors2001au
    mirrors2001au Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Great effort, keep up the good work!
  • Ajaxlost
    Ajaxlost Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • goldenstone01
    goldenstone01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great job! Keep up the good work.
  • annied1961
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your story.
    Congratulations on all your success!!
    I am doing the exact same routine.
    The only difference is that I'm 53
    and my hormones a
    The weight isn't moving yet,
    but I'm persistent and determined.
    Walking is a wonderful inexpensive exercise.
    That I enjoy very much.
    Stratford is a beautiful city to walk in.
    Counting calories is getting easier to do now.
    I'm choosing better foods than when I first started.
    Please add me as your friend-I could really
    use your support.
    Thanks Again!
    annied1961
  • steeheart
    Options
    Annie, My mother has a similar story. She was about 45 when she lost 60 pounds. She ate eggs for breakfast, a can of black beans for lunch and a baked potato for dinner. She walked about 5 miles a day and did light weight lifting. It took her about 2 years, but persistence is key! Find what kind of food you like and is satisfying to you. And make sure you find an activity that makes you happy and do it everyday. =)
  • VBJONLY
    VBJONLY Posts: 25
    Options
    Awesome job with your weighloss.
  • enchanted_daydream
    enchanted_daydream Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    You're looking great! I'm working to lose about 40 pounds so this was really motivational :)
  • DEJAnoVU
    DEJAnoVU Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Congrats on your success. You motivated me, we have a similar goal.
  • karelyvazquez3
    karelyvazquez3 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This is exactly my goal!! Good job :) i weigh 202 now but i was at 206 and my goal is 160, well to just look better!
  • steeheart
    Options
    Thank you for the kindness and good vibes everybody! I'm so glad I helped motivate a few people. This in turn motivates me to keep going strong! I want to lose another 20, and then see where to go from there. =)
  • annas987
    annas987 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Amazing story!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Wow...what a difference! You look great! :)
  • arkowalyshyn
    arkowalyshyn Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Your legs are awesome and your whole body looks so..... 'smooth' ? I went from 205 to 159 and I'm still lumpy.
  • PMA150
    PMA150 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic! I'm 5'9" starting at 204 with a goal of 160. I soooo hope to be posting a story like this in 6 months!!
    Thank you for sharing!
  • cds_momto3
    cds_momto3 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You look SO great!! Definitely an inspiration - I can't wait to hit 165!
  • believeinme0430
    believeinme0430 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! You look amazing!
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!!!!
  • juicymisslucy
    juicymisslucy Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Great work! You look amazing :)
  • blb85
    blb85 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    You go girl!!! I loved your REAL advice and tips! I've been working at trying to drop 35 lbs for the last year or so and just not getting anywhere. I know consistency is key, and that is one thing I'm lacking. Keep up the good work!!!
  • WantToBeHealthy36
    WantToBeHealthy36 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wow. You rocked it! Nice going! Keep up the good work and thanks for the inspriation!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!