Why do people hide their food diaries on here?

Options

Replies

• Sharkington
    Sharkington Posts: 485
    Options
    hahaha... the hiders.....

hahaha... the nosy....
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Some people can make thoughtless/harsh/judgemental comments, and not everybody is willing/able to take that. Also, for some people, it's a private thing; they don't want or feel the need to share.
  • DrunkenFaeGirl
    Options
    I feel judged when it comes to food. I did when I was skinny too. As such I choose to keep it private. It shouldn't matter to anyone else what I'm eating anyway, only that I am.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    For me, it is because I am pretty private.
  • Agator82
    Agator82 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Privacy is important to some people, that is the reason I am not on FB. None if your business. Plus sometimes I have personal notes jotted in there for future reference.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Why do you care?
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    1. They're a pig and don't want people to see how much they're eating

2. They do something out of the norm such as eat 800 calories a day, or fast sometimes, low carb, or just something that most people don't usually do. They are concerned people will criticize them.

3. It keeps the more accountable. If I eat a large cake, I can log it and know i ate, but no one else would see it, so I don't have to feel self conscious about it. Easier people to log under this condition.

4. They have insulin resistance and have to eat 100 carbs or fewer per day and get sick and tired of people asking them, "Why are you doing low-carb? You know that sucks, right? You're going to lose so much muscle! Carbs are GOOD for you!"

5. Unsolicited comments from people who see a random board post that has nothing to do with asking for help. They just decide to look at your profile, see your diary, and then PM you with, "Sooooooo... I see you had a Diet Coke the other day. You know you're going to die if you drink that, right?"

#4 and #5 are why I closed mine. There are reasons other than "shame" for keeping one's diary closed.
  • weevil66
    weevil66 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    No one is allowed to find the secret of my greatness

Not even a little bit? What if we say "hello murse"ala anamaniacs.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna guess for the majority because that is the default setting. Most people don't even realize their diaries are private.
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I just noticed the feature today. Mine was set to hidden by default.
  • Imani9629
    Imani9629 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Well I'm on an appetite suppressant so I can't eat a lot or else I feel nauseous but I got tired of explaining this every single day before someone gave me the "starvation mode" speech
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I don't hide mine, only viewed by friends. It's a personal choice I guess..
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Mine is set to private because I don't log anything or count calories.

this and even if I did I would be too lazy/apathetic to change my settings so people can look at it.

^^^ this!!

when I track calories (which I don't do currently) I track them for my own information, I don't need other people to see my diary and tell me off if I don't eat according to their definition of healthy, clean or whatever. Additionally, people on here who are the most vocal critics of what other people eat are frequently also the least informed about nutrition, or are following some kind of eating regime that demonises many foods or even entire food groups.

Some people just prefer to keep things to themselves. And others really can't be bothered enough about what other people think to want to make their diaries public. I'm amazed that this is even an issue for some people. There are plenty out there who have their diaries open, so it's not like those who want meal ideas or to see how other people are eating so they can learn from it etc can't find open diaries. Plus a lot of people open their diaries to their friends list, so maybe sending a few friends requests would enable these people to get more ideas. But really you can't expect everyone to have open diaries, because people use this site for different purposes and some people just prefer to keep things private, and most people don't want unsolicited advice.
  • tanyalevan
    tanyalevan Posts: 182
    Options
    Personally I think leaving mine open makes me feel like I should eat better so my MFP peeps can see that I am being good!

THEREFOR encouraging me to do better and being a role model of sorts for others!

P.S She asked a question she wasn't trying to invade your privacy jeezuz!
  • amaysngrace
    amaysngrace Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Personally I think leaving mine open makes me feel like I should eat better so my MFP peeps can see that I am being good!

THEREFOR encouraging me to do better and being a role model of sorts for others!

P.S She asked a question she wasn't trying to invade your privacy jeezuz!

Thank you!
  • RebekahR84
    RebekahR84 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Everyone who's mentioned that theirs is public, I've snooped your pages! How fun!
  • JustMajor
    JustMajor Posts: 17
    Options
    Some people's mouths are so slick for no reason its HILARIOUS. If your diary is open to your FRIENDS that is one thing. She is asking a question. Usually the smart comments are defense mechanisms... We understand... Keep eating that cake you want no one to see... Open your mouth to food... otherwise... keep moving?

You can give your reason or NOT without being jerks? Or that may be too hard for the simple minded....
  • JustMajor
    JustMajor Posts: 17
    Options
    She also didn't ask you guys to speak for each other... Ill chalk it up to our diets as to why you are rude as all get out LOL. SMH
  • Carolw12
    Carolw12 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It defaults to hide it and I kept it that way but for me I don't see why anyone would want to see what I ate anyway. I also don't look at anyone else dairy either because it doesn't matter to me.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering why is it such a big secret what someone is eating...Why do people hide their food diaries on here? Any answers?

My diary is open, but I think many people close theirs because there are a helluva lot of food snobs running around MFP, and if you are not raw vegan, paleo, clean eating, etc. etc. whatever blah blah you just might get a comment or 2 that you probably shouldn't...

I personally don't care what people think of my diary. I hit my macros and calorie goal and couldn't care less if other people like my food. Others are more sensitive.